LDH

Bulldog

Bulldog
Just wondering but why doesn't FDNY carry large diameter hose on their engine companies?  Especially with the new 2000gpm engines, I'd think it would be very beneficial.

They do, they carry a small section of it on the front bumper, I've read other places its 5 inch, but I think its either 4 or 4.5 inch.

Bulldog

Bulldog
RPM3311 said:
They do, they carry a small section of it on the front bumper, I've read other places its 5 inch, but I think its either 4 or 4.5 inch.
I realize they carry a short section of soft suction but that's just to connect to a hydrant.  LDH is used as a supply line and for inline pumping.  In order to supply (or get) 2000 gpm from engine to engine it greatly reduces the amount of hose required and has much lower friction loss.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
There was talk about putting some LDH on the new pumpers. I don't know if this will happen when they start to hit the streets. 

As for inline pumping and relays, the job would rather we not.  They like it simple Engine on hydrant and supplying your lines.

Bulldog

Bulldog
tbendick said:
There was talk about putting some LDH on the new pumpers. I don't know if this will happen when they start to hit the streets. 

As for inline pumping and relays, the job would rather we not.  They like it simple Engine on hydrant and supplying your lines.
I agree it's certainly not preferred but it is necessary in some cases, also when an engine supplies a truck company especially a tower ladder it would certainly be beneficial.  I can't understand their resistance to it considering almost every other department in the nation uses it and its benefits are well proven.  Especially when you look at a 2000gpm pumper It's very difficult to utilize that capacity without LDH.

Tommy, correct me if I'm wrong: The necessity for 5" (LDH) on FDNY Engines may not be as high priority as in other Depts. New York's hydrants are very close together with multiple hydrants at intersections. In the City I work hydrants are sometimes 500-800 ft apart and when you need that 2nd hydrant the distance is even greater. Personally, 5" is great for large GPM with minimal friction loss however, once it's layed and charged, forget about moving it. If the current setup works for you fellas in FDNY, stick with it.