Morning Pride/ Morning Pride Gear Spec

J

jpop

I was wondering if anyone new WHY the city decided to go with Morning Pride gear. Did they do testing on various mfr's and come up with MP. Did MP just out bid others? Is there any documentation that anyone here has?

Also, does anyone know the specs they are currently using? I am currently looking over specs for our depts and I know they are very similar and we are making some interesting changes to our own. However, I did notice several variations and ideas that the city uses are not available (or so it seems).

Any guys who can also tell me hows and what's they specifically like or dislike or find wrong with their gear please post that info as well as any tricks they use.

I am not looking to just do a "FDNY has it, therefore its good enough for me" kinda think, I would like to learn and understand and possibly incorporate so of their idea.

Thanks in advance!
-JP

I am a explorer with the Metropolitan Fire Association in Staten Island, some of our gear was donated by the FDNY a few years back. I love it, the only problem that I can see, is that when the gear is wet it gets heavy.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
My Problems I run into.
Stuff falls out of my pockets because the Velcro only last so long.
DRD - not a big fan of it.
New knee pads suck...
New suspenders suck, went back to using the older ones.

How they came to MP got me. But in the 90's they did test diffrent things.

They probably went with MP because of a certain "can" man's connection.  I hate the new kneepads as well, if your in the truck you can get the older type from QM. I got a brand new pair with the older type kneepads. DRD sucks ass and feels like you have a rock on your neck, So I guess i have to keep sending it out every six months, cause I ain't getting a 2nd DRD ;D

jpop said:
I was wondering if anyone new WHY the city decided to go with Morning Pride gear. Did they do testing on various mfr's and come up with MP. Did MP just out bid others? Is there any documentation that anyone here has?

Also, does anyone know the specs they are currently using? I am currently looking over specs for our depts and I know they are very similar and we are making some interesting changes to our own. However, I did notice several variations and ideas that the city uses are not available (or so it seems).

Any guys who can also tell me hows and what's they specifically like or dislike or find wrong with their gear please post that info as well as any tricks they use.

I am not looking to just do a "FDNY has it, therefore its good enough for me" kinda think, I would like to learn and understand and possibly incorporate so of their idea.

Thanks in advance!
-JP

Ok first the MP FDNY spec gear has pros and cons just like any other gear. The pros are the replaceable knee pads, angled cuffs so the pants don't dragg and tear, great heat protection and takes a good beating. The cons are the rubber sheet over the knee pads but remember its a spec that the FDNY chose which means you don't have to get it but it is good in a way because it keeps the knee pads from becoming boiling water sponges, DRD is annoying but is required by NFPA and is in every new turnout coat. The coats have nice big pockets ( Bellows pockets) whic can pack alot, flashlight strap, harness snaps thats as far as specs go. The trick to the gear is webbing behind the knee pads. In my opinion the gear is great and even though im a explorer the gear is comfortable and flexable, I never really had any complaints about it and only heard complaining about the rubber pads and thats it.

J

jpop

tbendick said:
My Problems I run into.
Stuff falls out of my pockets because the Velcro only last so long.
DRD - not a big fan of it.
New knee pads suck...
New suspenders suck, went back to using the older ones.

How they came to MP got me. But in the 90's they did test diffrent things.

FDNY 6012 said:
Ok first the MP FDNY spec gear has pros and cons just like any other gear. The pros are the replaceable knee pads, angled cuffs so the pants don't drag and tear, great heat protection and takes a good beating. The cons are the rubber sheet over the knee pads but remember its a spec that the FDNY chose which means you don't have to get it but it is good in a way because it keeps the knee pads from becoming boiling water sponges, DRD is annoying but is required by NFPA and is in every new turnout coat. The coats have nice big pockets ( Bellows pockets) whic can pack alot, flashlight strap, harness snaps thats as far as specs go. The trick to the gear is webbing behind the knee pads. In my opinion the gear is great and even though im a explorer the gear is comfortable and flexable, I never really had any complaints about it and only heard complaining about the rubber pads and thats it.

HMMMMMM Thanks tbendick & FDNY 6012 and the rest for your repsonses.

Interstingly enough our new spec has the same DRD as the city (the "metro packadge") but we decided to go with that and the "luggage handle" based on getting a glove around it easier. While DRD's do suck it it NFPA req'ed so we cant really do anything about it when specing the new gear but work with it so we might as well make it as practical as we could. I have seen some people getting caught up on nails and screws with the DRD's when going thru walls so keep that in mind. We have already showed MP some issues with the DRD where the velcro pulls and shreds on the webbing by the chest hook/buckle. They said they are going to work on it.

We went with the removable window frame knee pads and switched to the bi-flex because they caused the pants to fles better and it was easier to squat with than the old knee pads, but I never saw the "rubber sheet" your mentioning. tbendick, what dont you like about those pads, or is it the rubber thing?

We also hated stuff falling outta the pockets so we asked specifically for 3 or 4 peices of velcro to be added (ie the same as the jacket bellows pockets) on the pants in hopes that this will help with that issues. We are also going to get a small notch cut out of the pocket to allow our PESS to not put tension on the velcro and we will see where this goes.

We are trying the new suspenders that are have tabs on the inside of the pants and not the stupid clip which just comes off, and we are going to try the quick adjust comfort backs to see if these are better than the annoying ones with the metal ring digging into your back.

In terms of webbing storage, well I got 30' of dept issued webbing in my right knee pad and 15' in comming out of the inspection port in the jacket lining :) (I picked that trick up from F Ill and  C Renyolds in R1 a few years back) I recently saw some people put webbing behind their name patches on the jacket backs but im not sure how practcal that would be to get to as well as if the name is not mounted on a velcro patch you cant really do that.

Just my few cents

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
We have already showed MP some issues with the DRD where the Velcro pulls and shreds on the webbing by the chest hook/buckle. They said they are going to work on it.
Known issue with the coat.  They do have some changes they are trying.

We went with the removable window frame knee pads and switched to the bi-flex because they caused the pants to fles better and it was easier to squat with than the old knee pads, but I never saw the "rubber sheet" your mentioning. tbendick, what dont you like about those pads, or is it the rubber thing?
The big rubber style are great for crawling around but thats about it.  If you had gear that the probies get just for training, then these are the ones to use. However if you have to do a lot of stairs or anything they will wear you down quick.

We also hated stuff falling outta the pockets so we asked specifically for 3 or 4 pieces of Velcro to be added (ie the same as the jacket bellows pockets) on the pants in hopes that this will help with that issues. We are also going to get a small notch cut out of the pocket to allow our PESS to not put tension on the Velcro and we will see where this goes.
I would like to add a few button snaps on the pockets along with the Velcro. This way if I don't need anything out of my pocket, it will stay snapped and keep things in them.  If I do open them, then the Velcro will hold until I am done.  After some time the Velcro doesn't hold the same as when it's new.

We are trying the new suspenders that are have tabs on the inside of the pants and not the stupid clip which just comes off, and we are going to try the quick adjust comfort backs to see if these are better than the annoying ones with the metal ring digging into your back.
I still use the suspenders with the big "O" in the back. The newer style SUCK.  The problem is with the new one, they cross much lower on the back and theres nothing holding each side together.  So they always were falling off my shoulders. I even tried to take off the extra padding and try but still the same problem. Someone said to try the "H" back?

Would also like to see Velcro added to the inside pockets and something to keep the liner and outshell together on the back bottom of the coat near the name.  If you put the coat on in the rig the liner tends to get pulled up and doesn't sit properly.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
MG_8417.jpg

Center two FF's have the rubber style knee pads.

The ''arashield'' cover is good and bad, its good because it keeps water out of the pads and keeps them from steaming up but its bad because its constricting the movement of the knee but its not so bad once broken in. I have seen guys cut the arashield off and theres a regualr knee pad there but sewn on the pants.

I still use the suspenders with the big "O" in the back. The newer style SUCK.  The problem is with the new one, they cross much lower on the back and theres nothing holding each side together.  So they always were falling off my shoulders. I even tried to take off the extra padding and try but still the same problem. Someone said to try the "H" back?

The "H" style suspenders you're talking about are made by Janesville. They will work on MP gear though. They can be found here....

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_5114_janesville_ezh_h_back_quick_adjust_suspenders/

we have the "H" style, they're terrible. We used to have the blue MP suspenders which were far better.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
There you go... I will stick with my big "Circle" in the back, unless they come up with something diffrent.

tbendick said:
There you go... I will stick with my big "Circle" in the back, unless they come up with something diffrent.

And I'm joining you bro. The plastic piece keeps breaking on every pair I get, and with gas prices up I'm not taking any more trips to QM to replace them. I'll get them replaced when I got to the rock for training but no more side trips.

The biggest problem we have the "H" style is; the suspender will not lock in place when adjusted. They always slip/retract. I'll check on the manufacturer, they are just basically junk.

J

jpop

These are the suspenders we are gonna try out. They are kinda a crossbreed.
suspenders.jpg

The knees we are using now (the bi-flex one on the right) in a "picture frame" housing so they are replaceable if need be and switchable with the old style we havent had issues or complaints so far, I guess its just how you guys spec'd em out with the rubber protection. Im wondering why you guys got switched to them.
knees.jpg

They went with the Arashield knees because they are more durable than the older type which needed to be replaced all the time. 

The bunker pants with the arashield arent being issued anymore. All the new(orange label) pants have the regular replaceable pads.