my buff years

I think the guy in the lower left of the picture above is a better "Woodenhead" aka Charlie McCarthy L 31.  Capt Farrell's LCC.

The firefighter at the window is Lt. Tom Simmons, E82. Picture shows the pulled down tin that was used by the city to "seal" vacant buildings to keep vagrants etc. out. They later also used concrete to seal the buildings, windows and doors. It took the vagrants 15 minutes or so to gain entry in a vacant when they wanted to, concrete or tin. Then when we had a fire in a breached building it made the fire a hell of a lot worse, heat/smoke than if they had just left the buildings alone.

******* said:
The firefighter at the window is Lt. Tom Simmons, E82. Picture shows the pulled down tin that was used by the city to "seal" vacant buildings to keep vagrants etc. out. They later also used concrete to seal the buildings, windows and doors. It took the vagrants 15 minutes or so to gain entry in a vacant when they wanted to, concrete or tin. Then when we had a fire in a breached building it made the fire a hell of a lot worse, heat/smoke than if they had just left the buildings alone.

Yes Chief, I remember seeing the guys trying to breach those bricked up windows and doors, using sledge hammers and knocking out one cider block or so at a time. Or trying to rip that large piece of tin from the numerous windows, to gain entry or for firefighters in there to exit in a hurry. Plus venting the fire floor or apartment was just about impossible.

At the time, other firefighters from outside the area would comment how much more difficult this already very difficult job became.

Regardless of what the city did, those squatters found a way to get into those buildings. So every building I?m sure had to be considered occupied

Great stories, it is fascinating how a simple sight, word or action can turn the course of events. My dad was the one who made the lightbulb go off in my head. I was always interested in the fire service at a young age. At this time around 16 years old I was riding with Uncle Jack in Ladder 31 and a junior firefighter in my local town. Loved what I was doing. My dad was a union electrician on Long Island, and me, the first born son was going to be, you guessed it, an electrician. One evening after dinner, dad takes me to the workbench downstairs (for once on good terms). Here he has rigged up electrical light sockets and plug receptacles. He is demonstrating how to connect wires to these pieces, giving me the low down. "What's this about" I ask, and he tells me about my future to become the next family sparky. Sorry I tell him, but I've decided that I'm going to be a NYC firefighter like Uncle Jack. He took it well, of course a little disapointed, but well. Then he gave me this "golden nugget" jem of advice; "Don't put all your eggs in one basket". Eureka, that was probably the most simple but prolific statement I have ever heard from him.  I bought a new ribbon for my Olivetti typewriter, paper, stamps and envelopes. I bought an atlas, jotted down the cities likely to have a paid department. I proceeded to write letters to various civil service agencies in a five hour driving radius from Long Island inquiring about upcoming fire department test in their locality. I would specifically ask about age and residency requirements. Many places would state no exam is scheduled at this time. I would write again in 6 months for followup and kept meticulous records, this went on for a few years. I was spreading my eggs all over the east coast. I encouraged my volunteer firefighter buddies who had the same desire to have a fire service career do the same letter writing campaign and we created a network. A couple of months later I got my drivers license. I took tests in Providence, New Haven, Milford, Bridgeport, Cleveland (liitle more than 5 hour drive!), Albany, Anne Arrundel County, Philadelphia, Washington DC and NYC, (probably missing a few). I had good scores on all. My buddies were also on various lists. As fate would have I was called by Washington DC Fire Department at 22 years old summer of 79, and so were three of my buddies!. I spent three wonderful and exciting years there (the NYC list was frozen for most of that time because of court order) awaiting for my next big venture and call from the FDNY. Got that call in 1982 and it has been a wonderful journey since. Thanks dad for that nugget! My three buddies now retired, made outstanding careers in the DCFD (we still stay in touch) and my younger brother became the next family sparky!

[/quote]

Young Willy D buffing:

[/quote]

As a kid growing up in the 1950s, I went to Catholic Grammar School.

Of course anybody that went to Catholic Grammar School in those days can tell you how tough those nuns were. So a few years after that picture (above) was taken, Young William, aka Willy D, isn't really doing too well in school. I think its about the 4th grade and Sister Mary O'Brian (the name still brings fear) gives me a note to take home saying that one of my parents needs to come in and talk to her - in person - to get this kid on the right track and never mind his playing games in class.

Well friends the moment comes when I am about to face one of those moments of fear that a young kid never forgets. With my father on one side, Sister Mary O'Brian on the other side, and me in the middle, my moment of fear has kicked in to it's highest level.

Then the question comes up. Sister Mary O'Brian asks me: "William, what do you want to be when you grow up" ? I said "I want to be a Fireman". I look at my father, who is a fireman at the time, and he's just shaking his head. That's NOT really what she wanted to hear. I later learned that she wanted to hear; "a priest, a lawyer, or a doctor". I certainly respect them for the job they do. But that's not what I wanted to do.

Well, I never did become a priest, doctor, or lawyer. I didn't get to make the big money like a doctor or lawyer would. But they didn't get to ride Norwich, Ct's Squad "A" either like I did.