New (2011) HazMat 1

In his column in the Nov/Dec issue of Fire Apparatus Journal, Jack Lerch says that Ferrara has been awarded a contract to build a new rig for HazMat 1 . . . to replace their 2005 Ferrara Igniter.  Delivery is expected in the Spring of 2011.  I hadn't heard about that before.

"The new unit will be of stainless steel construction, with a Ferrara custom two-door tilt-cab.  Specs call for a 218-inch wheel base, fully enclosed 307 inch body and a total length of 423.5 inches"

Making a WAG, I betcha the cab is the same one they're building the rescues with with a longer wheelbase (by 12 inches).  BTW:  isn't 5 1/2 years a bit early for a replacement? . . . OOPS . . . the R1 Pierce isn't going to last that long.

I am amazed that there are not 2 Haz-Mat units running in the Biggest City in the USA. How many times do we hear Haz-Mat unavailable do to operating at another job. With Terrorism,other Hazards and just NYC being NYC,think there would be 2 dedicated 24/7 HM Units.

rdm258 said:
I am amazed that there are not 2 Haz-Mat units running in the Biggest City in the USA. How many times do we hear Haz-Mat unavailable do to operating at another job. With Terrorism,other Hazards and just NYC being NYC,think there would be 2 dedicated 24/7 HM Units.

As i was typing my reply earlier and hit the post button the website crashed :p  ;D,but anyway From what i heard a few years ago from a fdny press member dont remember his name it was a young fellow around my age(25-28 of age.,He had told me after 9/11 fdny wanted to create Hazmat 2 and have it run out of a manhattan fire station most likley out of ladder 20 or Engine 93 since both have the space and would cover a part of queens,the bronx,and manhattan. But the problem was that there wasnt much interest from  firefigters to train and staff hazmat, so it was abandoned.

there really should be a second HazMat but i think if that was the case they should move 1 to Brooklyn and make a second in Midtown so 2 can cover Manhattan and the Bronx and 1 can cover Brooklyn Queens and SI.

NYPD has a better shot of taking over HAZ-MAT then the FDNY has of getting a 2nd HAZ-MAT

Old dog said:
NYPD has a better shot of taking over HAZ-MAT then the FDNY has of getting a 2nd HAZ-MAT

Think you hit the nail on the head there Old Dog especially if FF's dont have much interest in it. But i am surprised to hear Haz1Mat being replaced especially since that rig wouldnt have have the miles on the clock as the 5 Rescues.

Also as seen on another topic page on here Port Authority have a Haz Mat unit also which seems to sit idle in Queens.

It is not about FFs not having interest in it.......it is about the city being too cheap to fund it.

Chicago has two Haz-Mat units.5-1-1 @E-22 is a 2003 Freifgtliner/American LaFrance Eagle (G-534) and covers the North side as well as the central part of Chicago. 5-1-2 is at E-60 on the South side and is identical to 5-1-1 and is shop #G535 ;)

Also dont forget the Squads all have a 2nd piece which is for hazmat responses as well. They can handle some of the stuff either before HM1 gets there or instead of them sometimes

The Ferrara site SAYS Inferno . . . but if you look closely, the cab in the photos is an ULTRA, just like the new rear mounts & rescues.  One look at the doors should tell you that:

ULTRA:

DSC01129.JPG

Inferno:

DSC_3836.JPG

raybrag said:
The Ferrara site SAYS Inferno . . . but if you look closely, the cab in the photos is an ULTRA, just like the new rear mounts & rescues.  One look at the doors should tell you that:

ULTRA:

DSC01129.JPG

Inferno:

DSC_3836.JPG

ok i see it now didnt look closely.

Looking at the in-production photos on the Ferrara website, it appears that the new rig has the Federal Signal "View Point" LED lightbars instead of the kind being used on the Engines, Towers, Rear-Mounts, and Rescues.

downtownmedic said:
Looking at the in-production photos on the Ferrara website, it appears that the new rig has the Federal Signal "View Point" LED lightbars instead of the kind being used on the Engines, Towers, Rear-Mounts, and Rescues.

There are two probable reasons for this: One is that there is a lot of equipment on the roof and that light bar fits better.  The other is that the job is trying something out, just to see how it functions and holds up.  This has been done before on a random basis.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Has it ever been determined if this really is a replacement for HazMat 1 or if it's going to be a second unit?  I know initially there was some discussion about that because the present HazMat 1 isn't that old.

Bulldog said:
Has it ever been determined if this really is a replacement for HazMat 1 or if it's going to be a second unit?  I know initially there was some discussion about that because the present HazMat 1 isn't that old.

It's a replacement for the current unit.  The current unit isn't all that old, but it's getting up there.  By the time this unit is finished and in service, I'm sure the current unit will be 8 (+/-) years old.  That unit seems to be O.O.S. a lot.  I don't know, I'm just guessing based on how often I see them with a spare when I'm at The Rock and the few times we've run in with them on boxes.

Either way, that current rig is one of the regular Ferrara chassis and the FDNY likes to keep things as uniform as possible.  This new rig gives them what they want, something built on the same chassis as the new rear-mounts and rescues....and who know's what else in the future!

Bulldog

Bulldog
The HP are also on a standard Ferrara chassis and I certainly wouldn't anticipate them being replaced just to standardize!