New (2011) HazMat 1

1) "HP" = High Pressure engine companies???

2) ...Also, I believe the current Hazmat 1 was built on a custom Ferrara Inferno chassis?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was going to guess he meant High Pressure, thanks.  Well...those engines are built on the previous rendition of the Ferrara Ultra Chassis.  They were built to VERY closely mimic the other engines in service.  Unlike the current HazMat 1, which is built (as correctly stated above) on the Inferno Chassis, the High Pressure engines were built to exact FDNY specifications, on a completely new and unique chassis, just like the current FDNY products emerging from Ferrara.

Will the FDNY replace those engines just to have a unified fleet?  No...because they're not that far off the mark.  However, the HM rig is almost at it's replacement age and is a completely unique rig.  I'll bet the shops can't wait to see it replaced.  Why was the Ferrara engine, donated by Louisiana, so happily returned after Katrina?  Why is the ALF sitting on Governors Island?  Why was the Spartan Aerialscope sent to City Island?  Because they're not helpful in maintaining a smooth and unified fleet for parts and labor reasons.

Johnny's right.  The R1 Pierce is an orphan, too . . . which is most likely why it's going away so soon, too.

raybrag said:
Johnny's right.  The R1 Pierce is an orphan, too . . . which is most likely why it's going away so soon, too.

As I understood, the Pierce was somewhat of a test-bed for such items as the independent front suspension.  I don't think that Pierce even bid on the order for the 5 rescues.  Meeting the city's spec requires a great deal of retooling.  I'm not sure they were willing to build things that they didn't already have a basic design for.  As for the performance of that rig in the hands of R1, I don't know.

The only Pierce apparatus in the CURRENT fleet that I can think of off the top of my head are:

1) Rescue 1
2) HazMat's second piece (Kenworth commercial chassis with Pierce medium rescue body)

...it's always interesting to look at some of the "oddball" rigs in the fleet and some of the differences.

JohnnyBopp said:
raybrag said:

As I understood, the Pierce was somewhat of a test-bed for such items as the independent front suspension.  I don't think that Pierce even bid on the order for the 5 rescues.  Meeting the city's spec requires a great deal of retooling.  I'm not sure they were willing to build things that they didn't already have a basic design for.  As for the performance of that rig in the hands of R1, I don't know.

I stopped by in April when I was nearby at the Auto Show. The FF's love the truck and are sad to see it going so soon. They were not looking forward to the Ferrara.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Len90 said:
JohnnyBopp said:
raybrag said:
I stopped by in April when I was nearby at the Auto Show. The FF's love the truck and are sad to see it going so soon. They were not looking forward to the Ferrara.
I've heard the same thing for several members I know.  They've really loved the Pierce and really were hoping that everybody would get one!  Unfortunately that didn't happen hopefully the Ferrara will be just as good but....

The 5 rescues had a problem with the tail end hangin' low and this HazMat rig looks like it's also hangin' low too. ???

Bulldog

Bulldog
kfd274 said:
Haz Mat 1 is moving along:
http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerSupport/InProduction/pages/4721/4721.html
Look at the facility they are building it in.  Looks like a big firehouse  :)
Certainly a much different looking area for the build than we've seen for any of the other apparatus.  Certainly would be interesting to find out about it.
guitarman314 said:
The 5 rescues had a problem with the tail end hangin' low and this HazMat rig looks like it's also hangin' low too. ???
It certainly does look lower and longer.  It also doesn't have any equipment in a yet which will make it even lower!

kfd274 said:
Look at the facility they are building it in.  Looks like a big firehouse  :)

That is Ferrara's Inspection Building.  It appears they pulled the truck off the line for a "Pre-Paint" type customer inspection. 

Is the building the rig is in the building with the large red doors the rescues and ladders are usualy parked in front of for final pictures?

Haggerty said:
Is the building the rig is in the building with the large red doors the rescues and ladders are usualy parked in front of for final pictures?

That would be a Yes.  I was told this is the Inspection Building.