New Bunker gear striping

I see they are switching the reflective striping on the turnouts.....what's the reason/advantage to the new refexite(?) stuff? Is there perforated holes to reduce transmition of heat through the turnout, preventing burns?  I see Boston and BaltoCity are doing the same......any Brothers know?

R1SmokeEater said:
I see they are switching the reflective striping on the turnouts.....what's the reason/advantage to the new refexite(?) stuff? Is there perforated holes to reduce transmition of heat through the turnout, preventing burns?  I see Boston and BaltoCity are doing the same......any Brothers know?
I first noticed Boston wearing the new gear. A friend of mine just got on 94 Engine in the Bronx and wears the new turnouts with the different striping. He said he wasn't too crazy about them. I guess visibility would be a reason for switching the stripes. From a distance, they look like the old single-yellow stripe gear from the 80's and 90's.

fdny1075k said:
R1SmokeEater said:
I first noticed Boston wearing the new gear. A friend of mine just got on 94 Engine in the Bronx and wears the new turnouts with the different striping. He said he wasn't too crazy about them. I guess visibility would be a reason for switching the stripes. From a distance, they look like the old single-yellow stripe gear from the 80's and 90's.

Wasn't too crazy about them?
Sounds like he just got out of probe school.  Probably has not been to a fire yet.

How have the new stripes negatively impacted him?

I have been through many different coats and the type of stripes has never mattered.

scamall dubh said:
fdny1075k said:
R1SmokeEater said:

Wasn't too crazy about them?
Sounds like he just got out of probe school.  Probably has not been to a fire yet.

How have the new stripes negatively impacted him?

I have been through many different coats and the type of stripes has never mattered.
Actually he did just get out of probie school, and yes, he has not been to a fire yet. I guess he wasn't too crazy about the overall look, but he said there's no problem with them. I would imagine it would make you more visible in a fire, and thus safer.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
New changes to gear:

New Chin Strap
1 Pocket on the pants for EMS Gloves / Webbing
New Knee pads for all. No more Engine / Truck
smaller 3" collar
New Wristlets
Pockets on coat lowered
New Trim on coat

New helmets with 4 point chin strap
New hood
New boots with shin guard, better sole and comfort insert

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if they went with the H back style.  I can't stand the current ones they fall off my shoulders all the time. Was told they changed them because guys didn't like the big ring in the back, never had an issue.

The new suspenders are H type never had a prob with the old ones I don't like the fact that we have a shorter collar though.