tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
New Caisson out to bid. The Caisson was totaled during Sandy

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
4 Man Cab.
look like an Engine but all items to be fake.
Fake pump panel, etc

Nasibova said:
W hatis  the  caisson ?  Have  photo  of  the  old  one ?

It is the vehicle used to carry a casket in a LOD funeral. It looks exactly as a pumper, but is not a functioning fire suppression apparatus.

Oh.  Ok  I obviously  never  knew  that.  l  just  thought  they  used  a  regular  engine...    Thanks 

The current caisson is a 2002 Spartan/Luverne that was donated to the city after 9/11.  It was never used as a pumper since it does not meet FDNY specs, but has spent its entire life as the caisson.  You can find a picture of it onMike Martinelli's fdnytrucks.com:

http://fdnytrucks.com/images/specialunits/other/FDNY%20Luverne.jpg

Here it is running as the caisson at a funeral (I believe the engine # is changed for each funeral):

6954078816_84f30aa25e_z.jpg

As to what manufacturer will build the new one:  whoever wins the bid.

OK  I am familiar  with that vehicle  and  it makes sense  to  change  the  co #  to  the  LOD  #....

And  the  first  post  was  the  answer  to  the  manufacturer...  so  my  ?  was  a little  laim...

Thanks  for  answering  though.

BCR

As mentioned the current unit was destroyed during Sandy along wih several other spare units, they were all at one of the spare pool garages and they were unable to move a the units to higher ground before the place flooded out. It was a donation after 9/11 however it did not meet FDNY specs and was never placed in service. It is a fully functional engine however and the shops modified the hose bed to transport a casket and the rear step was also modified to assist with loading/unloading. I think this is the first one that will be purchased new; before the current unit, I believe they took an engine that was heading for the spare pool or disposal and instead repainted and modified it for funeral duty. Here is a picture of the current unit when new about 15 pictures down, this unit also came with a nice mural on the cab between rear door and pump
http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/other.htm

Bulldog

Bulldog
I'm surprised that they didn't do what they did in the past and just modify a pumper going to the spare pool to fulfill his duty.  They aren't used that extensively in the use isn't that demanding.  It certainly seems like it would make a lot more sense financially but then again this is FDNY!

Bulldog said:
I'm surprised that they didn't do what they did in the past and just modify a pumper going to the spare pool to fulfill his duty.  They aren't used that extensively in the use isn't that demanding.  It certainly seems like it would make a lot more sense financially but then again this is FDNY!

Couldn't be said better.  8)

BCR

Someone will no better than I but the i am pretty sure the cab setup, hose bed and compartment space was differnt than a standard fdny pumper, also the pump itself was not a model fdny had ever used, there may have been an issue with a failed pump test as well but I can't rember if it was that unit,  after 9/11 there were a few pumpers donated by other manufacturers, the 3 I can rember are this unit, the ferrara donated by New Orleans that did some fire house duty with a company (2??) for a short time and then was given to the training division, it was then driven to New Orleans after Katrina and left there as a gift, it was down there a few years and then it was refurbed by them and donated to a dept in Ny of NY after Sandy. Then there was the American La France, it did some time in the firehouses, it was then moved to govenors island when fdny took over fire protection duty, it still is out on the island and gets staffed when there are special events on the island as the island detail was cut do to budgets. If I recall none were to fdny spec however the American la France I believe was closest of the three to spec, from what I remember the Spartan/luverene was not close. The idea behind FDNY's very specific specs is logistics, having to stock parts for one style engine is much cheaper and requires knowledge of only one style, the donations that were not spec were sent to slow company's/training  to minimize downtime and the cost associated with having to order parts.
Mack - I agree, the caisson unit is one uniit I hope is purchased, parked in a corner and never used.

The Ferrara , Spirit of New Orleans went to Engine 283 in Brooklyn, NOT exactly a slow company. and was there for a fair length of time.

BCR

auxlteng225 said:
The Ferrara , Spirit of New Orleans went to Engine 283 in Brooklyn, NOT exactly a slow company. and was there for a fair length of time.
You are right, what I was referring to was that pretty much all the non spec units at some point were transfered to a slower post before doing a full stint with a company to avoid major downtime and repairs. the Ferrara eventually made it over to the BOT, the ALF to Govornors Island, the Spartan/refurbed aerialscope that was transfered to city island etc.