New EMS division chief vehicles

Here are supposably the new Ems division chief vehicles. In the background you could see what looks like the new LSU Ems unit.

Bulldog

Bulldog
They are going to be a sharp looking vehicle when they get the lettering on them but I have a couple of questions.  Last I knew FDNY had a requirement that all new vehicles were diesels so they had a common fuel source for all of them, I don't believe Ford Explorers are available with a diesel engine, to the requirements change or do they have these custom-made?  Also, the color looks a little strange, is it or is it just the lighting in those pictures?

OK a good choice for a Chief's or EMS Supervisor Rig....i was thinking the other day that as much as i personally felt the monster trucks were overkill for Chief Rigs they were defintely overkill as one person EMS Rig....the Explorer is  a good choice for both....i was in an FDNY BN for 10 years & had a '99 GM Suburban then an '03 Ford Excursion ....i Ret.  before the monster trucks....i always felt a Tahoe/Yukon would perfect but a Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility is the next best choice i think......as far as the Diesel question there is really no reason that FDNY gas cards that are issued to get gasoline for saws & other gas equip  could also be used for an Explorer....NYPD still has some gas at some Precints but also relies on gas cards @ local gas satations.....even during a shortage like the most recent after the snow storm in 12-10 fuel tankers were made available at a specific location for city vehicles......more so than equipment carrying capability the overall size to manuver in traffic & be able to park out of the way at a box takes precedence  JMO. .....  2013 FORD POLICE INTERCEPTOR EXPLORER REVIEW AWD WWW NHCARMAN COM

I think these are replacing the impalas right? In which case they were not diesel either. Our current staff chiefs all have suv that they have gas cards to use to fill up. I had to fill some of them up while I was on light duty.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
If they are for EMS Chiefs, then the gas would be fine. The EMS Chiefs take the cars home with them and are not used like Fire Chief rigs that are assigned to a firehouse without a gas pump. The EMS chiefs already have provisions for fueling gas vehicles

Chief Jack, believe it or not, there is more stuffed into the EMS Lt's and Capt's rigs than you could imagine. When we had the Ford Excursions they were so loaded the only room you had was the front passengers seat. The worst thing was to be working when the rig had to go to PM. Strip it clean, load the spare the shop brought and do it all over again when the other rig came back, by yourself.

Actually i never really had a good look @ what was carried in the EMS utility's....as far as FDNY BNs there is not really  that much stuff & the monster rigs only actually seat three....2 buckets in front & 1 seat in the crew area since the large box containing the handie talkie recorder is on the remainder of the 2nd seat...in the excursions it was in the rear since the whole interior was open & heated & or cooled as neccesary not like inside the rear cap on the monsters....is the plan that these Explorers are for other than conditions cars ?... strictly big bosses ?... EMS side  only ?

Been out of the loop going on five years now Chief, so I wouldn't even guess an answer to your question.

Bulldog

Bulldog
What's with the blue strobes on the front and rear?  None of the other FDNY vehicles have blue on them do they?

The Ferrara rescues do:

DSC01754.JPG

Bulldog

Bulldog
I thought originally the rescue's had one blue and one Amber to the rear where that picture shows the 2 blues?  Is that correct or did I have a brain Fart?  Do the new ladders have blue to the front also are only to the rear?  I remember when the blue went on the rear of the rescues it was stated that it was more visible because it contrasted with all the other lights of the street.

Interesting,  NYS, about 3-4 years ago changed the law and allowed blue to the rear of fire and police vehicles, blue to the front is still technically illegal.  It is beyond a shadow of a doubt a very stupid law.

The Ford "Ready for the road package" on Utilities and Interceptors seems to come with B/R grill and mirror beams regardless of final destination.

I

Someone commented on my video and told me that apparently the Police Interceptor Utility comes standard with one blue and red forward facing light unless the buyerr asked for something else. Maybe who ever ordered them over looked that.