New FDNY Morning pride gear.....

Why does the new fdny morning pride gear have the color orange as an emblem on the front instead of the regular grey or lime green??

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Colors tell the age of the gear.

The lime green tags and no longer ok for use.  Any member who has one has to send it out for replacement on the next cleaning cycle.  Age would over 10 years aprox.

Grey was the next color no major changes to the gear. some pants did however go to the non-removable knee pads.

Orange which is the current color has the Drag Rescue Device in it.

ohhh alright i wasnt sure what the deal was with the colors , Thats good to know , Thanks alot.......

The DRD is an NFPA required device in all new turn out gear that is meant to assist in the extrication of a down FF. It consists of two loops of cord/webbing that is between the shell and the liner in the coat and comes to one handle in the back of the coat just under the collar. The idea is that a FF can just grab the strap, it cinches up under the arms and you can pull the downed FF by it.

Though the DRD is mandatory, I still prefer the two-man way using the waist strap on the SCBA under and over the thighs..... to drag a brother with all that equipment is asking for more injuries, i.e. hot water burns, collisions with materials inside a fire building, etc. Not to mention it's probably strenous on the one doing the dragging.

As said in previous posts the lime is 10+ years old and no longer serviceable and the grey is the next color up. The orange is for the coats with the DRD's and the bunker pants with the orange have button harness loops instead of the velcro loops and the pants also have a "seam saver". Also the grey labeled coats that do not have the DRD have the DRD installed when the gear goes out for cleaning.

FDNY 6012 said:
As said in previous posts the lime is 10+ years old and no longer serviceable and the grey is the next color up. Also some of the silver labeled pantshad those Arashield covers over the pads to prevent the pads from becoming sponges. The orange is for the coats with the DRD's and the bunker pants with the orange have button harness loops instead of the velcro loops and the pants also have a "seam saver". Also the grey labeled coats that do not have the DRD have the DRD installed when the gear goes out for cleaning.

the drd is put in your old coat if you do not have one in there? i would have never put mine out for cleaning then.
anyone know if you can wash your turnout coat yourself in a regular washer and use regular detergent ?

H

HAZ-MAT 1

I don't see a problem with washing your gear yourself, but do you really want to contaminate you washer? I usually put a garden hose to mine with some standard dish soap then put it in a hose dryer to dry.

The idea of not sending gear out for cleaning is ridiculous, the contaminates today are pose a far greater health risk to you than 20 years ago. And all gear is barcoded and the cleaning company has been notifying job when same sets are continually being sent out and other set is not. The DRD is a bit uncomfortable in the beginning but breaks in. Company Officers have received letters from job when members have altered gear, soon it may cause problems if job wants to issue charges for this(members have removed collar strap).

squarewheels said:
the drd is put in your old coat if you do not have one in there? i would have never put mine out for cleaning then.
anyone know if you can wash your turnout coat yourself in a regular washer and use regular detergent ?

Yea all the coats without  DRD that go out for cleaning come back with it installed. You can clean it yourself but don't use bleached cleaners. Just sent out your coat and let it be PROFESSIONALLY cleaned and the DRD installed, you won't even notice it's there(except for when you clip up your coat).

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
As far as washing you gear yourself.  I would not recommend it for many reasons.

The washers used are made to do this properly, such as front load and draining the water when needed.
If I remember correctly the gear is suppose to be dried at room temperature only, no heat.
I have no problem send my gear out every 6th months and as needed.  I can tell you that my gear is cleaned and cleaner the many of the guys in my  house.  Too many people are stuck on the salty look and it's broken in and I don't want new stuff. 

Check out the NFPA document.
NFPA 1851- The Selection, Care, and Maintenance of the Firefighter Ensemble