New PPE?

Saw some pictures today at the dedication of the playground in Queens for Lt. Davidson and saw some guys with Squad 288 coats on that looked a little unusual.  Is that the new PPE they are issuing now?  Anyone know how it is holding up?

Those are the SOC Tech rescue coats , been around for a few years now , nothing new .  To be worn for anything non -fire type of incident .  They are lighter and less bulky then the normal firefighting turnout coats , they DON?T offer my thermal protection.

Brooklynalex32 said:
The EMS have the same thing

They have only been issued to Rescue Medics, and they are to be worn with USAR dark blue pants. On another note, if you look at the most recent class of probies you'll see there had indeed been a change in PPE with no more upper arm stripping. I'm unsure if the changes go beyond that, but changes have been made.

The new FDNY Turnout gear is now Lion.  I have not see EMS wearing the SOC Coats yet if someone has a picture of them wearing them it would be cool to see.  Also I am not sure why in FDNY they don't have EMS wearing black gear and maybe Orange helmets if you look at cities like Baltimore, DC, Chicago the EMS wears the same color gear as fire does just different color helmets and Chicago the have black helmets with star of life on them.

Bulldog

Bulldog
fdny747 said:
The new FDNY Turnout gear is now Lion.  I have not see EMS wearing the SOC Coats yet if someone has a picture of them wearing them it would be cool to see.  Also I am not sure why in FDNY they don't have EMS wearing black gear and maybe Orange helmets if you look at cities like Baltimore, DC, Chicago the EMS wears the same color gear as fire does just different color helmets and Chicago the have black helmets with star of life on them.
I'm quite sure that EMS have a different color turnout gear is strictly for easier identification in the field. Sure, helmet colors help but from a distance it's much easier to see the color of the turnout gear.

I also think it's important to have different colors as the gear itself is different with different levels of protection and certification. The colors can serve as a reminder to the members the abilities of those wear the PPE and wear they should be on scene.

The current Rescue Medic PPE ensemble now includes the SOC jacket and blue nomex pants, instead of the traditional bunker gear.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Bfd183 said:
Why was the bunker gear changed from Morning Pride to Lion?
I'm sure they are bid out just like the trucks and Morning Pride got beat out by Lion.

Bulldog said:
Bfd183 said:
Why was the bunker gear changed from Morning Pride to Lion?
I'm sure they are bid out just like the trucks and Morning Pride got beat out by Lion.

That was what was selected after a pilot program.

Does it basically look the same apart from the single arm reflective striping?

It actually fits a lot better.  And you?re able to move better in the lion.  But yes if it was a fashion show the only thing is the stripe on the arm that?s different