New York City during the 1970s

What year did the TCUs and Second Sections end?

Last edited by a moderator:
What year did the TCUs and Second Sections end?

Lebby, I think it was the summer of 1975.

The city laid off police, firefighters, and other city employees.

That had never happened before. Even during the days of the Great Depression, police and firefighters were never laid off.

I think that was when the city closed the TCUs and Second Sections.

Maybe the guys on the job then might have more facts and details about it

Regarding the more modern day Units .....basically the Second Sections of BN's were the first to be disbanded at the end of the '60s but some were reorganized as regular Bn's in their own Qtrs like 37-2 became 28 ...44-2 became 58 etc........the TCUs were disbanded in '71 & '72 & of the Second Sections of E &T's some were disbanded in '72 the rest in '74.

1966 - SQ*7, SQ*8 (REORG. 2018)
1967 - SQ*9
1972 - SQ*6
1976 - SQ*1 (REORG. 1977), SQ*2, SQ*3, SQ*4, SQ*5

Who remembers the efforts the FDNY made after TCU’s and Second sections were eliminated.
The ‘Interchange’ program disliked by both companies was aimed at giving busy companies a rest and limit Medical leaves, as I was told. The negative was both companies had to get up early and be back in their own house before OT.
Usually the early morning was the only time it was able to hit the bunks. Back than we were doing 20+ runs a night.
The ‘Adaptive Response Companies’ and boxes were designed to limit response of companies to boxes to 2-1. The Engines were Rapid Water and the Trucks carried an extra man for two FE teams. The plus part was that cool telephone booth on the Seagrave Ladders for the extra man. The negative was it was tough job for those companies until full assignment arrived. I remember relocating to L-123 and responding to one of their AR boxes telling the Dispatcher we weren’t an AR truck. Didn’t matter we were the 1st due and only due truck with our FE team splitting up to two floors with Engine Companies yelling for us to force doors on two floors. No extra radio and back then we didn’t respond with masks!
The City was broke after the lay-offs but we did rack up the OT $$ but it was blood money,

In Brooklyn we didn't normally assign 6th man to F.E.. He was more of a rover where he was needed most. Maybe saw to the roof or to assist in venting in the rear, or in the front if needed for evacuating tenants and maybe to assist chauffer.