Newark Eng. 29 drops hose on highway

Got a traffic advisory that Newark E29 lost its bed of 5" line on s/b Rt. 1 & 9 near Haynes Ave. Reporting several vehicles with flat tires. Req. NJSP & DOT .

I think a similar thing happened to one of Jersey City's Engines a while ago, except it was a hard suction into a car windshield. I remember when this happened a number of years ago in Cambridge, Mass. One of their Engines lost a pre-connect that came off and hit a woman walking down the street when the truck made a corner.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
NFPA had been pushing for systems to prevent hose from falling off the rigs for some time.

There have been a few fatal incidents over the years.

mack

Administrator
I recall a department outside Boston, maybe Cambridge, had an engine company lose a length of hose while responding.  Unfortunately, an elderly woman was struck and killed. 

mack said:
I recall a department outside Boston, maybe Cambridge, had an engine company lose a length of hose while responding.  Unfortunately, an elderly woman was struck and killed.
That's the incident that I was thinking about, mack.

Several cars with flat tires? Did they just drive right into it? I usually avoid stuff in the road

I believe this is a two year old or newer engine and was delivered with a means to restrain the hose.

We lost a 1000' of 5" a few years ago, we had taken up from a 1st fire and were responding as the RIT to another it came off, rubber 5" is notorious for it. All new engines delivered since around 2006-07 are required to have hose bed and cross lay covers.

Haggerty said:
Several cars with flat tires? Did they just drive right into it? I usually avoid stuff in the road
  I was away from home later that day and didn't get to post an update. The update was that there were cars with flat tires and some have damage to their undercarriages. A request was made for NFD Arson Investigators to take photos of the damaged vehicles.