Union L1 to L5
Ladder 10

5th Battalion
Jersey City E? L? BC3 to E27

Put C11A C3A on scene
Put Marine Tac on the box

Marine 7 Acting Marine 1
Marine 2 inservice

Who are you referring to? You are the one who posted the rundown and didn't list any FDNY unit in it.

While in Red Hook (L131) I worked two ship fires and can state they were both remembered in my memories as two of the scariest jobs in my time. It’s like fighting a sub cellar fire with no ventilation. Conditions are nothing to compare to structural fires, we trained anytime a ship could be used when in port but it couldn’t prepare you for the actual situation.
My prayers for those who fought the good fight.
Out of all the posts about this incident your put the most perspective on it, no ventilation, truly mind blowing when you think for a minute.

Geo hit nail on the head, it’s not structural firefighting. FDNY has done ship fire training. When I did it, was a new lieutenant. Lesson was forget what we were used to. Air management (time) and unit cohesion was stressed. Needed to be cognizant of being able to get to a safe area still on air, even if objective was not achieved. God bless all involved

So being US Navy Sailor, Ventilation is really big enemy on a ship board fire. If no lives onboard and verified by ship muster than shut down ventilation, and take time to drown the fire out. Ship board firefighting is one of the most dangerous fires out because the fire does not only travel up and outside sideways but also travels down on a metal vessel.

Machinist Mate Petty Officer 1st Class US Navy

That’s a fact most port cities ignore. Your dealing with international crews where language, equipment and leadership are confused with the natural aggressive firefighting tendencies we are accustomed too.
As I said earlier we use to go on board a ship at Todd Shipyard or Moore McCormick Terminals whenever possible but that was only for terminology and orientation.
Training and control are best accomplished with pre planning SOP for ship fires. Sadly tragedy is needed to see the need.

Last edited: