NYPD going encrypt

I thought it worth mentioning here for those who might monitor a few NYPD channels, I've been told by an excellent source that soon, ALL of the NYPD channels will be encrypt. That is happening around the country, not just with the NYPD.

From this site owner Tommy B., we've been told that as it stands, ONLY the FDNY DARS channel will be encrypt.

I guess we can thank the chaos from last year among other things. Too bad, scanning is a good hobby but once feeds were available without a scanner now too many people have access. Not everyone just monitors unlike those of us here. I only have my BCD996P2 and my HT1250LS+ which is just for FDNY. That scanners gonna be very quiet soon. Here in NJ I live in a small town and even they're encrypted so I'm not surprised.

I guess we can thank the chaos from last year among other things. Too bad, scanning is a good hobby but once feeds were available without a scanner now too many people have access. Not everyone just monitors unlike those of us here. I only have my BCD996P2 and my HT1250LS+ which is just for FDNY. That scanners gonna be very quiet soon. Here in NJ I live in a small town and even they're encrypted so I'm not surprised.
Very true like you said "not everyone just monitors" it stinks but I understand.

So with the FDNY DARS encryption, no matter how close you are to the operation you won’t be able to hear fireground at all?

^^^^^ If DARS is encrypted you will NOT hear Handie Talkie transmissions.....if you are in range you should still hear the Boro transmissions.

Just to clarify, DARS as in the rebroadcast of the fireground HT traffic over the doitt trunking system will be encrypted but the conventional UHF firegrounds will not be encrypted?

Yes “paul612”, as I understand it, the only encryption for the FDNY at this time is for the DARS broadcast. Everything else remains on UHF as it is, whether with online listening or scanner range.

I really enjoy the feeds on the web. I can still monitor Boston and keep up with my friends in Chicago. The FDNY feeds just speak for themselves. Without them I would be SOL!

I feel bad for the guys who spent big money on a setup maybe putting up an expensive outdoor antenna etc to pull NYPD and other freqs. There's no place on the east coast quite like NYC for radio traffic. I've lived in NJ for 23 years but I'm from NY and I've worked Brooklyn for 32 years. Most of my listening is FDNY, NYPD and other NYC freqs. I have NJ freqs on my scanner but there's not much going on here so most of what I pick up is NYC. Our FD is volunteer and honestly there aren't many calls. More action in north NJ. I get why its being encrypted but its gonna leave a big hole there.

Yes “paul612”, as I understand it, the only encryption for the FDNY at this time is for the DARS broadcast. Everything else remains on UHF as it is, whether with online listening or scanner range.
Great! Thank you!

You boys should count yourselves lucky that you are keeping the Boro Feeds. Over here the last Brigade in Ireland (Dublin) to switch to Tetra Encrypted radios are 90% complete with the process. Safety and Data Protection are the reasons

Pros and Cons for NY going that route for PD
Pros - encrypted radios that bad people cant access. If a cop loses his radio it can be switched off remotely
Cons - FD Rescue Companies wont be able to listen to ESU anymore. Think it was Rescue 4 where they told me they have PD ESU Freq on in the house to try get a jump on calls they might be needed on but the call from PD to FD could often be "delayed" coming through

You boys should count yourselves lucky that you are keeping the Boro Feeds. Over here the last Brigade in Ireland (Dublin) to switch to Tetra Encrypted radios are 90% complete with the process. Safety and Data Protection are the reasons

Pros and Cons for NY going that route for PD
Pros - encrypted radios that bad people cant access. If a cop loses his radio it can be switched off remotely
Cons - FD Rescue Companies wont be able to listen to ESU anymore. Think it was Rescue 4 where they told me they have PD ESU Freq on in the house to try get a jump on calls they might be needed on but the call from PD to FD could often be "delayed" coming through

Theoretically, for the Con, PD could give FD Rescue companies their decrypted radios.

I think the main reason PD is doing this is the result of the fiasco with the protests/riots this summer. Multiple PD radios were compromised which hampered the communication effort between PD units and dispatch.

There is a Security Bulletin from the FBI stating all NCIC CJIS information in transit must be encrypted to FIPS standards.
There is nothing specifically stating voice communications must be encrypted, and voice communications over cellular networks are exempted.

However, states are interpreting in transit to mean over LMR. California went further to say that any NCIC information herd must be encrypted.

1. Meat and potatoes of the encryption part is about DATA transmission.
2. most states are only requiring encryption of those Talkgroups and Frequencies that are used to transmit PII and CJIS. not the whole network..
3. However some jurisdictions are of the opinion that CJIS can be transmitted of ANY Radio channel or Talkgroup in a Land Mobile Radio system.
4 IMHO, jurisdictions will use these arguments to argue for total encryption.

Theoretically, for the Con, PD could give FD Rescue companies their decrypted radios.

I think the main reason PD is doing this is the result of the fiasco with the protests/riots this summer. Multiple PD radios were compromised which hampered the communication effort between PD units and dispatch.
Yes. Not so much a problem with people listening. But a tremendous problem when anarchists with $75.00 Beofang radios are calling in 10-13s directly over the air and jamming transmissions. For the reason of officer safety alone - it was time to encrypt.

The NYPD Commissioner had a news conference Q&A type the other day on TV & during it among other questions he was asked about PD encryption & he seemed to say something to the effect of "yes we would like to do it" but had no timetable on it happening or how.

No Money? At a City Council Committee Meeting that involved DOiTT, a councilman said he knew nothing about the $80M already spent!

The real PD problem is technical. There are thousands of current 'voting repeaters' that must be brought into the software. Remember too, that if a terrorist breaks into the system no one will be communicating with anyone-------just like the Electric Grid going down. The new radios probably default to the current setup which may have to be maintained as backup----like the underground part of the old Pull Box system that has faded into 7' red statues since the late 1990's.

Get ready to get your crime news from your new hotshot reporter...........because the Press is cut out too!!!!! >>>>> THE DESK SARGENT AT THE PRECINCT INVOLVED.

I think PD will be have an "ENCRYPTED MIXER OFF" type setup to prevent sensitive info from leaking in a particular incident. This is a good compromise. Another is selling Receive Only radios to licensed citizens who will be responsible for their unit.

No Money? At a City Council Committee Meeting that involved DOiTT, a councilman said he knew nothing about the $80M already spent!

The real PD problem is technical. There are thousands of current 'voting repeaters' that must be brought into the software. Remember too, that if a terrorist breaks into the system no one will be communicating with anyone-------just like the Electric Grid going down. The new radios probably default to the current setup which may have to be maintained as backup----like the underground part of the old Pull Box system that has faded into 7' red statues since the late 1990's.

Get ready to get your crime news from your new hotshot reporter...........because the Press is cut out too!!!!! >>>>> THE DESK SARGENT AT THE PRECINCT INVOLVED.

I think PD will be have an "ENCRYPTED MIXER OFF" type setup to prevent sensitive info from leaking in a particular incident. This is a good compromise. Another is selling Receive Only radios to licensed citizens who will be responsible for their unit.
Let me add this: The Encryption move is another step toward a controlled society. Ask an immigrant from a defeated society if they were ever able to listen to their 'police'. The reasoning behind the move is fallacious-----we will forget the multi-million $$$$$ turnover to Motorola etc. There have always been scrambled transmissions of sensitive cases. No one should expect to hear a joint FBI/State Police/Local PD stakeout etc.!!! But a report of Shots Fired near your current location.............why should I not know about that! Or........We have 3 Lines Stretched! lol.