Oh Those Busy Fourth of Julys

Rob, Thank you very much for your story and posting that Great video. I remember it well, as I was there for the 3rd and 4th that year. That's when Rescue 3 was on 181st St in Washington Heights w/E93/L45/B13. Caught a few of those jobs too. Hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago. Sadly, as the video says, we lost some of those Great Firefighters on 9/11.
  In the very beginning you can hear my favorite dispatcher (George M). He always was on the Brooklyn Fire Radio on the Busy Fourth for as long as I can remember. As you look at some of the streets in the video you see an ADV, with a building covered in graffitti. Not many views like that in the City any more.
  You talk about your father being on the police dept in Brooklyn trying to do his job. God Bless him for trying to do his job there. The streets were just completely out of control, espically during the Fourth. I remember one year buffing Brooklyn. We were out in the Brownsville area, and as in most area's, the people "owned the streets". We saw a refregator dropped from the roof of a two story building. It's a wonder nobody got killed. My buddy and I said, "Where's the Cops" ? Shortly after we rode by the 75th Pct, I think on Sutter Ave. There were all the cops. Actually outside "Guarding the Pct" just like a Fort in a War Zone. I kid you not.
  Whether it's this post, or others. These are stories we just didn't make up, but actually happened in a Civilized Country.
  And Rob D., you're a Firefighter in a large city (Nashville ?). Please be careful. And whether it's riding the rig, or the Medic Unit, I certainly respect you for what you do. Alot of people will be counting on you, and your Brothers during this holiday weekend. Have a Safe one.

Cleaning up some stuff ( my wife calls it junk) a few weeks ago, found an old unmarked VHS tape. It was a copy of  Bronx fires someone had given to me. Very grainy, but it had the fire from the Res3cue clip in the boarded up H-typed. I remember the fire,it was on Walton Ave and E 177 street. The clip posted is clear as day, thanks, it brings back fond memories. Lot of great firemen and fire officers in that clip,  some unfortunately no longer with us.

rdm258 said:
Not sure if posted before!!!!   R3 on the 4th
FDNY Rescue 3 vintage footage July 4th, 1991

This vid was taken by Ret. Captain Allan Simmons from the Burbank, CA FD. He rode with R-3, and buffed back in 1991, it's a pretty "popular" selling tape, I have my copy since 91'. Firestormvideos.com is his site, and he's slowly been putting his stuff on YouTube. He just came out with a Buffalo NY FD tape on July 4th, it looks GREAT ! Also, the Coney Island multiple alarm was covered not only by Allan, but a bunch of videographers, as I have it on a few different tapes.

On a side note, I have so much stuff in my collection, some I don't wanna put up due to infringing apon the videographers "rights", (tried to contact a few) I try to post the older stuff that is not sold anymore, etc. I'm looking to share the older good stuff, not looking for trouble (lol)

turk132 said:
Cleaning up some stuff ( my wife calls it junk) a few weeks ago, found an old unmarked VHS tape. It was a copy of  Bronx fires someone had given to me. Very grainy, but it had the fire from the Res3cue clip in the boarded up H-typed. I remember the fire,it was on Walton Ave and E 177 street. The clip posted is clear as day, thanks, it brings back fond memories. Lot of great firemen and fire officers in that clip,  some unfortunately no longer with us.

"Turk132" That fire might have actually been on July 3rd, but I could be wrong. Yes, it was Walton and 177 St. I guess it really doesn't matter exactly what day it was on. But it was the start of another very busy Fourth of July. Guess you saw a little action those days.
 "R1smokeater", you've already given us some great videos. I think I speak for Everybody here when I say "Thank You Very Much".
  I did have a video from the old T.V. program "Rescue 911". They did a short 10 minute or so story on the Fourth of July in Brooklyn. They showed some Command Center (Metro Tech ?) and said calls were coming in at the rate of ????. Just a Huge Number.

nfd2004 said:
turk132 said:
Cleaning up some stuff ( my wife calls it junk) a few weeks ago, found an old unmarked VHS tape. It was a copy of  Bronx fires someone had given to me. Very grainy, but it had the fire from the Res3cue clip in the boarded up H-typed. I remember the fire,it was on Walton Ave and E 177 street. The clip posted is clear as day, thanks, it brings back fond memories. Lot of great firemen and fire officers in that clip,  some unfortunately no longer with us.

"Turk132" That fire might have actually been on July 3rd, but I could be wrong. Yes, it was Walton and 177 St. I guess it really doesn't matter exactly what day it was on. But it was the start of another very busy Fourth of July. Guess you saw a little action those days.
 "R1smokeater", you've already given us some great videos. I think I speak for Everybody here when I say "Thank You Very Much".
  I did have a video from the old T.V. program "Rescue 911". They did a short 10 minute or so story on the Fourth of July in Brooklyn. They showed some Command Center (Metro Tech ?) and said calls were coming in at the rate of ????. Just a Huge Number.

Bill, I posted the FDNY 4th of July Rescue-911 clip a while back (here:)

FDNY July 4th 80's video

Thanks Jamie. I should have realized that you already posted it. Yes, that's the one I was talking about. With "Smokey the Cat". Also stated (by the Late Chief Feehan) is that "911" is doing 13,000 calls an hour. WOW !!!! Thanks for posting it again my friend. Well, guess you made my day. And may the late Chief Feehan, who we lost on 9/11, rest in piece.

I sure wish I could there Bigandy. But I can't. I am hoping that a few will though, so we can get a good report and maybe pictures or videos. But unless something changes, it's been much slower than years past. And that's true whether we are talking about the FDNY or even places like Providence.
  Then again, it is a l..o...n...g holiday weekend. That could change things. If I were to hang out, I think I'd be in the North Bronx (62/32), or Queens around E275. Or maybe Flatbush area. Just my opinion. But who knows. Just never know.

In Queens I would suggest being at Liberty Ave. & the Van Wyck Expressway.

68jk09 said:
In Queens I would suggest being at Liberty Ave. & the Van Wyck Expressway.

I have hug out there myself. Liberty Ave is a good East/West Cross St. While the Van Wyck can give good North/South coverage. And at the same time, that location is in a busy area of the city. Good Queen's Hang Out.
  In Brooklyn, for me it's in the area of the Jackie Robinson Pkwy, Penn Ave, Bushwick Ave, Broadway area. They all meet together in the same general area. Pretty easy to hit Bushwick, Bed Sty, and Brownsville.
  In the Bronx is my favorite spot. It is the McDonalds at Fordham and Southern Blvd. Can get to the Bronx river Parkway for North/South, and 180th St is a good cross street for East/West.
  Manhattan pretty easy, just hang out in Harlem or Washington Hgts. Around 69/28 is a good spot.
  I don't know S.I. too well, except that their workload has certainly picked up over the years.
  I usually look for a McDonalds, Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts etc for some A/C (heat in winter), and a "potty" to use.
  So charge up those batteries, get the cameras and enjoy. I stay away from Booze. It brings Trouble. And NOBODY gets hurt.
  A buddy of mine is working the Manhattan C.O. from 7PM to 1AM. Disp "741" is hoping they will let him get on the radio for awhile.
  Have a Safe and Happy Fourth, 2010

Listening to Brooklyn tonight on line and its steady. Brush and water calls seem popular. FDNY dispatchers doing a good job as usual.

WOW, this 4th was great listening. Between Queens and Brooklyn there was job after job. GREAT JOB, done by the dispatchers and the brother's.

Great job dispatching on 7/4 by my man, George Muensch, Dispatcher #102 in Brooklyn.

johnd248 said:
Great job dispatching on 7/4 by my man, George Muensch, Dispatcher #102 in Brooklyn.

George, Brooklyn # 102, has been on the Brooklyn Fire Radio for as long as I can remember on the Fourth of July nights. He has to be the most Famous Fire Dispatcher in the U.S. And with the internet, now maybe worldwide. There are even audio CDs out there with George on them. And "r1smokeater" has posted a few of George.
  Maybe if we're lucky one day, Brooklyn Dispatcher #102 will put out a CD of his own. Maybe featuring some 15-20 of his more busier nights. American Idol Singer Susan Boyle, wouldn't come close to the sales of CDs by Brooklyn Dispatcher #102, George Muensch. Question is, "would #102 retire with his newly found fame".

B

Bigandy

Is it true that they save these busy Fourth of July's for Dispatcher #102 himself?

The first two jobs I caught this year back in January he was dispatching. Heavy fire on the second floor in Flatbush, and fire on the second floor of a row-frame in the 39. He's my favorite as of yet.