old school leather helmets

I know the FDNY is up to date with it's turnout gear as are all the major cities. I still see in photos and video clips of firefighters still wearing the older (better in my opinion) leather helmets. Does the "Brass" worry about stuff like this? I read some where (I think Boston) that the brass "knows not to even question" the guys wearing the older leathers. Just curious. I wear one myself.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY does have a list of approved PPE items..  Last check Leather helmets were still on the list.

F

Fireman5230

if a member has to return a leather helmet to QM due to it not being "Servicable" then they get replaced with the Ben II. I think the last group issued Leather Helmets was back in 1996?? Does this sound right?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
That is about right on the Leather, 96 was around the last class.
You can purchase your helmet back from the city now.  It was around $200 at last check.

E

eng1aux415

I use a 1971 Cairn Leather helmet, I love it like a fine wine ;D. I fixed it up alittle, and add a new coat of paint, but its not up to NFPA Standards :'(. I really dont care its lighter, and I like the bigger curve you have on the back flap :D. I see that Boston FD does meet NFPA Standards in two ways, My cousin is on BFD and some of their firefighters dont even use Bunker Pants, just the old hip boots (like the ones in Backdraft), and they use like me out dated helmets (1971-current) ;).  I dont think that there is one fire department in the United States that doesn't break some rule in the NFPA Standard Rule Book.  :-\

eng1aux415 said:
I use a 1971 Cairn Leather helmet, I love it like a fine wine ;D. I fixed it up alittle, and add a new coat of paint, but its not up to NFPA Standards :'(. I really dont care its lighter, and I like the bigger curve you have on the back flap :D. I see that Boston FD does meet NFPA Standards in two ways, My cousin is on BFD and some of their firefighters dont even use Bunker Pants, just the old hip boots (like the ones in Backdraft), and they use like me out dated helmets (1971-current) ;).  I dont think that there is one fire department in the United States that doesn't break some rule in the NFPA Standard Rule Book.  :-\

and what department are you in?

E

eng1aux415

North Hudson Fire Regional, NJ, I'm trying to transfer over to FDNY

J

ja488

Just want to make sure. You do know you can't just "transfer" over to FDNY. Did you take the last test? Are you planning to get residency?

E

eng1aux415

I know i took the FDNY test in 07 and am on the very large waiting list but, My chief and the FDNY commisioner are very close so he said he would put in a good word for me. Also i have family on the FDNY, my uncle is on 30 truck, my cousin's on Squad 270, and my other cousin is on Rescue 4 just tranfered over from Ladder 154 in Queens. He said the test is easy, but when you want to transfer over to a SOC company or raise your rank the test is hard as h*ll

My helmet is about the same age (70's). It is by far the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I ever tried on!

wow i didnt know there was a test to get into SUCK i mean Soc.  I will love to see the faces of the brothers when you walk into the house with a 1970's helmet.  hope you have a thick skin. also commisioner scopetta sucks and its a shame your uncle is friends with him. he is ruining the FDNY

squarewheels said:
wow i didnt know there was a test to get into SUCK i mean Soc.  I will love to see the faces of the brothers when you walk into the house with a 1970's helmet.  hope you have a thick skin. also commisioner scopetta sucks and its a shame your uncle is friends with him. he is ruining the FDNY

you should change your name from squarewheels to negativenancy

J

ja488

If your list number is 778, than how come you were not called for the class that was put in last July? Friend of mine was in that class, said they reached almost 1,000 on the list to fill the spots?

E

eng1aux415

i was in the number 1549, 2 years ago so i got moved up sence then. also i hate the commisioner and what he is doing to the department, i just need the extra push to get onto a company in manhattan. I'm trying for Engine 59 (Harlem), Engine 34 (Mid-Town), or Engine 7 (Downtown) i real dont care as long as im in manhattan. Also can you get put on a truck company right out of proby school or do you have to take extra training? Cause other wise I would like to be on Ladder 30 (Harlem), Ladder 2 (Mid-Town) or Ladder 8 (Downtown)

Instead of worrying about where you get assigned or how, maybe you should just prepare yourself for the job and stop talking like you are already in it. I dont care if you think you have hooks or friends you are far from a member of FDNY and if you enter proby school thinking your hooks or friends will help you, you are way of base, get through school and maybe things will happen. Lot of nerve to even post companies that you would like to work in, maybe you should learn what the job of a proby is and what his place is in a firehouse.