OUR MILITARY.

mack

Administrator
grumpy grizzly said:
"Brothers who fought without America's support, Brothers who returned without America's welcome, Brothers who will always be the best America had.

Grump - Thank you, and many others on this site, for you service in a dangerous place. You all were and still are - the best!

"If fear is cultivated it will become stronger; if faith is cultivated it will achieve mastery." - U.S. Naval Commander John Paul Jones

On March 27, 1794, the United States Government established a permanent navy and authorized the building of six frigates.

Continued Rest In Peace To All .... especially my Radio Operator USMC CPL Manuel C. Nieves KIA 12-6-67 www.virtualwall.org/dn/NevesMC01a.htm at Con Thien ......  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Thien Also Remember those who may still suffer effects to this day.

mack

Administrator
68jk09 said:
Continued Rest In Peace To All .... especially my Radio Operator USMC CPL Manuel C. Nieves KIA 12-6-67 www.virtualwall.org/dn/NevesMC01a.htm at Con Thien ......  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Thien Also Remember those who may still suffer effects to this day.

RIP CPL Nieves

66-Plt-1056-Neves-Manuel-Catano-dob-2-15-1943-12-6.jpg

I know we remember the sadness & the loss of so many of Our Troops as well as Our Wounded  & Still Missing but i do also remember the music of the era...not necessarily because it was all to my liking (not many Doo Wops) but because i do remember both good & bad times associated with the music & those there then ..some here today ... some not ....NEVER FORGET ! ....    https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=G7yeXPiRFqGe_Qbq_oHYCw&q=songs+from+the+vietnam+war+with+lyrics&oq=SONGS+OF+THE+VIET+NAM+WAR.&gs_l=psy-ab.1.6.0i13i30l3j0i22i30l7.2239.22263..51174...0.0..0.114.1971.23j3......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0j0i131j0i10j0i22i10i30j0i13j0i13i5i30._ctctqqE3Pw  ......"IF YOU ARE GOING TO SAN FRANCISCO" (by the Late Scott Mackenzie)  was a big one  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJdRw6VCWyA  ....years later when i played it often on the Jukebox people would ask if i was a hippie back then....i explained that to those of us in Vietnam it had a different meaning which has to do with the fact that in the USMC if you left Da Nang Airstrip after your tour (on Tiger Airlines who flew Troops out to go home ) first you stopped in Okinawa for processing for a few days then to San Francisco for a Commercial flight HOME ....  so San Francisco was our Safe Haven....the thing about my first flight out of Vietnam was  (i had flown all over the World in all kinds of weather on all different kinds & models of ...Fixed Wing Prop Planes ...Jets... Helicopters & also had more takeoffs then landings due to Parachuting.
however the Tiger takeoff from Da Nang on a short runway then going almost straight up to avoid flying over the jungle & taking fire was unique if not expected on a Commercial.

In 1968 I flew from Saigon to DaNang to work with the Forward Air Controllers. My mode of transport was the rear of a C-130 with 4 water buffaloes, some chickens, an ARVN Spec Ops team, and some civilians.

In the USMC we were on a training excercise having flown there in a C 130 ..part of the exercise involved CS Gas (a white powder which replaced tear gas) .....returning afterwards the contaminated clothing were in Willy Peter Bags (waterproof bags)....there was a whole pile of them ....during the flight a Marine gets up from the sling bench & says "im taking a nap" & dives onto the bags & two ripped open of course powder came out & started circulating ....luckily it was not a heavy concentration but it was still irritating.

LtCol Richard "Dick" Cole, the last living survivor of the "Doolittle Raid" has passed away at his home in Texas. He was the co-pilot on Jimmy Doolittle's aircraft. A slow hand salute.

A MARINE makes the Greatest play in MLB....SEMPER FI !.....Looking back on Rick Monday's flag-saving incident in 1976

By Luke Stuckmeyer April 25, 2019 2:02 AM

"I would rather be remembered as someone who stood up and did something about something I felt strongly about, than as someone who just stood there and watched the parade go by."

When you least expect it, life can come at you pretty quickly. The way Rick Monday reacted 43 years ago in a Cubs uniform is still worth remembering.

The Cubs were playing at Dodger Stadium on April 25, 1976. Monday was in his fifth season with the Cubs and playing in center field. Steve Stone was the starting pitcher and in the bottom of the fourth inning, Monday heard something going on around him. Two fans ran onto the field and then past Cubs left fielder Jose Cardinal.

"Is it because they have a bet with somebody?" Monday said. "Is it because they've had too much to drink? Is it because they don't like you??

The fans turned out to be protesters and one of them was carrying the American flag under his arm. As they laid down the flag and doused it with a can of lighter fluid, Rick Monday darted at them from center field.

"It angered me for a lot of reasons," he said. "First of all, you're interrupting the game. Secondly, now you're bringing out a flag and I was only about three or four years removed from being in the Marine Reserves."

Monday considered bowling them over if he got there on time, but the first match blew out as they tried to ignite the flag. Monday improvised. He scooped up the soaking wet flag and kept running with it. By the time he'd handed it to a teammate near the dugout, Tommy Lasorda let the protesters have a few choice words. At the time, Lasorda was the third baseman for the Dodgers.

"He [Lasorda] came running past me yelling about every expletive that a longshoreman would utter on a bad, bad day!" Monday said.

The fans were arrested, and when Monday came to the plate for his at-bat in the top of the fifth inning, the scoreboard in center field paid tribute with - "Rick Monday...you made a great play" and the California crowd gave the Cubs outfielder a standing ovation. One year later, they'd be cheering for him again. The Cubs traded Rick Monday in a five-player deal that brought Bill Buckner and Ivan DeJesus to the North side. Rick Monday went on to play a total of 19 seasons in the Majors. He was part of the Dodgers World Series championship team in 1981.

43 years after the flag incident, Rick Monday works in the Dodgers radio broadcast booth and that American flag is still a part of his life. He and his wife take the flag around the country while raising money for military charities. Monday says he reacted quickly that day because that's the way he was raised. Six years in the United States Marine Corps Forces Reserves only reinforced those instincts.

"It's a good thing I did get it, because I did not want any of my former drill instructors from the Marine Corps to come and say, 'Hey Marine! Why did you stand there and watch when they ignited the American flag?" Monday said.

An All-American play by a two-time All-Star outfielder

On Sat 5-18-19 at 1100 hrs there will be a Planned Flyover of a Dozen Green Douglas DC-3 Aircraft over the Hudson River at an approximate altitude of 1,000 Ft.

Thanks for this reminder, Chief.  I hope everyone will display the Colors today and say a prayer for those in uniform.

PRESIDENTIAL PROCLAMATION.....  https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-armed-forces-day-2019/