Parlor Floor

I notice that in Brownstones the FDNY calls the floor at the top of the front steps the parlor floor. I understand this is done to clear up confusion between the floor level below the front steps. It seems many parts of NYC have Brownstones, but I only hear them call it the parlor floor in Brooklyn. Is the term used throughout the job? Do I just notice it more because Brooklyn tends to have more Brownstones in high fire activity neighborhoods?

The term is used whenever you have a Brownstone. Our books refer to it also, such as carrying a portable ladder to the rear of a BS, use the Parlour Floor and carry the ladder foot first. Brownstones were designed from Holland structures, they were in areas prone to flooding, hence the high steps and main floor elevated.

Last edited:
The Bronx and Queens also have a some brownstones, not as many as Manhattan and Brooklyn.

There are also some frame bldgs around with a similar Brownstone layout that correspond to the same terms.....also in Brownstones there was terminology regarding the basement floor (below the Parlor floor a few steps below street level) & the cellar level (another flight below the basement level).....some of these terms may have been refined or clarified further in the FDNY since i worked.