REBREATHER UNITS

What is the rebreather units used for and what are the location. i heard them call rebreather 2

The Rebreather units are SOC units and should be kept at either The Rock or on Roosevelt Island.
They carry a special kind of SCBA that takes the air you breathe out and recycles, cleans and cools it.  Only SOC companies are trained in using these, as they are larger than normal SCBA and not ideal for firefighting situations; it's mainly used for HazMat and extended rescue ops.

M

mmattyphoto

if I have the spelling right, they carry Draager masks. for extended operations in such places like tunnels.

We used re-breathers when I was in the Navy. They're using SCBA's now which was a very smart move. Our re-breathers were called OBA's (oxygen breathing apparatus). Ours were worn on the front of your body and you had to install & activate a canister that contained postassium super-oxide & the canister got very hot once activated. It lasted 60 minutes max, less with exertion. The downside to these canisters were if they came into contact with pertoleum...ka-boom. 

Bulldog

Bulldog
vbcapt said:
We used re-breathers when I was in the Navy. They're using SCBA's now which was a very smart move. Our re-breathers were called OBA's (oxygen breathing apparatus). Ours were worn on the front of your body and you had to install & activate a canister that contained postassium super-oxide & the canister got very hot once activated. It lasted 60 minutes max, less with exertion. The downside to these canisters were if they came into contact with pertoleum...ka-boom. 

The newer units like the Dragers do not use canisters a rather have a cylinder of pure oxygen.  The exhaled air goes through a carbon filter, oxygen is added and then the air is resupplied to the user.  They are used extensively for mine rescue due to the extended time they provide, some are certified for 4 hours.  As stated above they're used quite often for Haz-Mat situations and in tunnels or subways.

How many rebreather units are there? Do they get a chance to go out often or more designed for WMD,etc.. Thanks

there are 2 reabreather units and the old volvo is now a training unit. i recall them responding 3 times the last 2 years, all  subway jobs. they are for confied rescues under ground jobs,etc. i dont really now how useful they are for wmd's but im sure they come in handy for tunnel jobs or if it might take a while to find a trapped firefighter. there is one at ladder 20 in the first division and im assuming the other is at the rock.

dont feel like starting a new thread on it,but what does ems operations unit 590 the 2005 gmc do? everytime i see it i keep thinking to myself man i do not want to see that thing responding anywhere.

tbendick said:
I think thats the WMD Truck carries Meds and stuff.

ahh ok should have know since it has a a/c unit. but is it for the first responders or anyone in the area

If i'm not mistaken, I remember hearing at an FDIC that LA County Fire uses them also in high rise ops. I believe that the LAcoFD inserts firefighters via helicopters to roof tops to assist with evacuation of trapped civilians on the upper floors.

If anyone can confirm please do.

if youre talking about rebreather units ive never have really heard the dispatchers assign them to a high rise fire msu takes the job. and plus fdny really dont do airdrops.

At one time, FDNY had a hi-rise team; Ladder 2 was involved, but I don't know if it still operational.

HCO

Rebreather Unit 1 is at Ladder 20 and covers Manhattan.  RBU 2, at SOC on Roosevelt Island, covers the rest of the city.  Each unit is manned by two SOC rebreather technician/firefighters.  The units are located to provide maximum coverage of the East River tunnels.  RBU 2 is relocated to the quarters of RBU 1 whenever the latter is out of Manhattan.

Each 2006 Freightliner MT55/LDV/Utilimaster truck carries 36 Draeger BG-4 Closed Circuit Breathing Apparatus, 36 extra oxygen cylinders and CO2 scrubbers, a freezer to maintain ice blocks used to cool output air, and a mask recharging work station.  Additional supplies may be furnished by the Rebreather Facility at Fort Totten.

As of last month, rescues, squads, Hazmat 1, hazmat technician engines, ten of the 25 SOC support ladders, and 14 of the 52 battalions have been trained in rebreather operations.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
There was at least 1 10-76 I can remember when the Rescue Bn asked for the Rebreather unit.  Why?  got me. 

I noticed some one saying there is only 2 RBUs recently I saw a unit that said RBU 3 did they get another?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a spare and or for training. They bring one of the rebreather units to the ROCK when they do any kind of training.

Did it look like the others?