Replacing the Kevin Kane with a SAFEBOAT

Any word on delivery of the new Marine 6?  Is it in NYC yet?  Does anybod know how it is/was being transported from the west coast to the east coast?

I forget where I saw it, but within the last week or so I read on the internet that it had been delivered to FDNY, and was at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, after a cross-country trip by truck.  Can anybody verify?

Thanks, Chief . . . I knew I had seen it, but couldn't break thru the cobwebs in my brain to give the citation.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
#150 don't go crazy yet trying to get photos, it might not be in the water yet! 

Boss, I think you know me well enough that I'm a little off kilter. I'll take a ride over Thursday after my day tour. If it's there, I'll take pix. If not, I'll find out when it's going in the water and I'll  go back.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
150 - It was taken out of the water so that it could be reassembled before being returned to the water. Target date is this coming weekend from what I been told.

Hey, 150 . . .

Did you ever get a chance to get those pictures?  If so, how about sharing them!

I'll try to have them up for you in the next few days. I haven't gotten around to uploading/cropping yet. I got a lot of stuff on the camera. PS, I got some close up shots, nothing too spectacular.

Ask and you shall receive. These are the best I could get given conditons and location.
M6Bravest2.png
Here's the new boat with the McKean and the Firefighter in the background.
M6Bravest3.png

Stern view,
M6Bravest4.png

M6Bravest5.png

M6Bravest6.png

Once again a similar situation like the John D. McKean what happens to the name of the Kevin Kane ? these boats were named to remember LODD FFs......the name should carry on.

68jk09 said:
Once again a similar situation like the John D. McKeon what happens to the name of the Kevin Kane ? these boats were named to remember LODD FFs......the name should carry on.

There is a strong tradition in boating, that when you name a boat, that name stays with the vessel.  There is a "superstition" that if you change it, it brings danger and bad luck.  I would think that if the McKeon becomes a tug, as it is supposed to, it would continue to be the John D. McKeon.    Firefighter is to become a museum.

I don't know the plans for the Kevin Kane.     

kfd.....that is good info.....that probably accounts for the fact that there are so many pleasure boats named so&so 2.....i thought that would be a good situation for the McKean & could apply to the Kane just add the number 2. ..............P.S...i like the Marine 6 Patch.....it resembles one of my tattoos w/the R*2 rope surrounded Blue Patch.

68jk09 said:
Once again a similar situation like the John D. McKean what happens to the name of the Kevin Kane ? these boats were named to remember LODD FFs......the name should carry on.

They never used the name Alfred E. Ronaldson or John P Devaney again, both died LODD, two real great guys. They put their names on those two pieces of junk.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Also noticed a comment that FDNY has money for a 2nd boat just like this one but want to test this one out before ordering.