Snow Prep?

I was just woundering, what changes does FDNY,NYPD, and/or EMS make to Apparatus to deal with snow and ice? Do they use special tires, carry de-icing equipment, etc?

Also, are responces modified in the snow/ blizzard conditions? Ex. Extra Engines/Trucks, De icing trucks, etc?

Thanks

FDNY EMS places additional units in service within each borough. The ambulances used to be "chained" for snow but since so many vehicles had the floors of the rear side compartments torn up by a flopping chain that was discontinued and they are using all weather tires and have placed two small shovels on the ambulances. (As if that's going to work) ::)

I do not know about NYPD...or EMS.....FDNY has the same tires year round....ENG s & LAD s have chains that can be installed by the Units.....these generally are okay when heavy snow is still on the ground....the problem starts when some streets are cleared & some not.....the chains do not  last long on pavement......each Unit has repair links & a link tool......i drove for many years & we always got around pretty good (most times) due to the weight & undercarriage height of the rigs ....the suburbans originally had chains ....then they were taken away & cable type chains were issued then these were taken away.......i have been out over a year now so i do not know whats happening with the MONSTER TRUCKS aka the present BN & DIV overkill crewcab GMC pickups.....(i am a truck person & have one as my personal vehicle....i just think a Tahoe/Yukon provided plenty of room & were more manuverable both in qtrs...around the city streets & easier to get out of the way at boxes JMO)........the later suburbans as well as the excursion clunkers prior to the new gmc s had 4 wheel drive  but no super special tires so once the snow was plowed or packed the fwd did not do much.......FDNY has & drills on protocols for operating incidents in heavy snow storms as far as rig placement /portable laddering/tool transport etc.......in the past in heavy storms a 5th man was added to the 4 man ENG s.....since the wizards are seriously planning to eliminate the 5th man in ENGs entirely this coming Feb.1 2011 i dont know if they will "hilite" the issue by adding the man for the storm (hopefully i am wrong & they will)....i am curious what they will do about the Queens "modified respose pilot program".  

memory master said:
FDNY EMS places additional units in service within each borough. The ambulances used to be "chained" for snow but since so many vehicles had the floors of the rear side compartments torn up by a flopping chain that was discontinued and they are using all weather tires and have placed two small shovels on the ambulances. (As if that's going to work) ::)

"Onspot Chains" are decent for emergency vehicles of all kinds: http://www.onspot.com/ They are not as effective as full tire chains in very deep snow, but are good in that you can use them as needed. If you're out running from box to box (or call to call) and begin to encounter streets that are plowed, you hit the switch and the chains are lifted up out of the way. No fenders and compartments damaged by broken links.

The On Spot system is something i always wanted the FDNY to get.....they have been around awhile....i still may consider a unit for my next personal vehicle.

Bulldog

Bulldog
69 METS said:
"Onspot Chains" are decent for emergency vehicles of all kinds: http://www.onspot.com/ They are not as effective as full tire chains in very deep snow, but are good in that you can use them as needed. If you're out running from box to box (or call to call) and begin to encounter streets that are plowed, you hit the switch and the chains are lifted up out of the way. No fenders and compartments damaged by broken links.
They actually work very well both on lighter EMS and chief type vehicles as well as heavier vehicles such as engines.  I've driven multiple vehicles with them in severe weather conditions with great success.  I think they should almost be mandatory for any emergency vehicle that has the potential to be operated in severe snow.  It's not only safer for the vehicle operators but also for other people on the road.  The price is quite reasonable compared to many of the other equipment now purchased for every unit.

68jk09 said:
.......FDNY has & drills on protocols for operating incidents in heavy snow storms as far as rig placement /portable laddering/tool transport etc.......in the past in heavy storms a 5th man was added to the 4 man ENG s.....since the wizards are seriously planning to eliminate the 5th man in ENGs entirely this coming Feb.1 2011 i dont know if they will "hilite" the issue by adding the man for the storm (hopefully i am wrong & they will)....

I just saw Bloomberg on TV stating that F.D.N.Y. Engine Co's will ride with a fifth man tonight.

i think all the rigs in service now have the ATC traction button which is to be pressed when there is snow or icy conditions.  all the snow storms last year i didnt see any chains on the rigs, 

usually all engines get a door man when there is a storm of this magnitude.

This seems like one of the worst storms in recent history...Rigs getting stuck all over the place and ems is back log with runs!

Have multiple (hundreds) EMS rigs stuck in snow drifts for 5hrs plus...and the Starbucks are closed!!!   

SI1075 said:
i think all the rigs in service now have the ATC traction button which is to be pressed when there is snow or icy conditions.  all the snow storms last year i didnt see any chains on the rigs

:eek:

Then those companies have no clue.

ALL RIGS except 4x4s, require chains on ALL outer rear wheels!
4 chains on RM, TL, & RES.  2 chains on ENG & TT.

ATC is ONLY used when you are stuck in the snow and the chains aren't getting you out.  It is only to be used temporarily.

ATC Traction:  Is that a limited slip differential (Positraction) ??? ??? ???

This is by no means a dig at my fellow brothers in NYC as u know i would fly your flag at armagedon as well as my own, but if the fdny has snow chains on station, ready to deploy, why did so many companies get stuck in snow unable to procedes??

Are the chains ineffective, useless, or was it bad management of availble recources??

Only curious thats all.

JT

Rodent251 said:
This is by no means a dig at my fellow brothers in NYC as u know i would fly your flag at armagedon as well as my own, but if the fdny has snow chains on station, ready to deploy, why did so many companies get stuck in snow unable to procedes??

Are the chains ineffective, useless, or was it bad management of availble recources??

Only curious thats all.

JT

Chains/ATC were ineffective in many spots last night and still are right now.

FDNY EMS does NOT have chains......We are going everywhere digging them out.  Most have run out of gas though and are stuck awaiting fuel.

Cheerrs, seems FDNY was well equiped, i just heard a lot of companies reporting that they were stuck in snow.....didnt quiet undrstand how this could happen if A; Knew the snow was coming, and B; the equipment and recources was there to cater for it. i gotta say thought driving the appliance aroubd london in blizzard conditions all day was a challenge, and i enjoyed it!!!!

Our station officer (guvner)((leautenant)) says there is only one thing more difficult to manage than us bunch of herberts... and thats the weather!!! great qoute from him!!

JT

I know there was an ambulance caught right in the middle of the intersection at Lenox Rd and New York Ave. What happens is the middle of intersections have lots of snow since the plows just go up and down the major roads trying to keep them open. When the ambulances make the turns, that is when they have to cross through the plow deposits and that is where I think all the trouble is.

For a storm like this, the FDNY should probably have chained the ambulances up.

A big addition to the problem is people who should not venture out ... but do so driving their front wheel drive imports that get stuck blocking what may have been a passable street for our apparatus...also the heavy wind conditions for over 12 hours have caused very high drifts & chains or not ...once a rig ramps up on the snow & traction is lost there is a problem....also the people who use ems as their personal transport all year with no restrictions or screening by the city now use it even more when buses & trains are not running....so the overloaded system is pushed to an even further breaking point.....but why should today be different.....if the city does not excercise control all year .....nobody is going to do differently now.....those who will suffer are the ones who never use or abuse the system but unfortunately may have their once in lifetime emergency happen now.......the FDNY has asked bloombag to declare a state of emergency & bring in the National Guard to assist but he refused...he is a useless pos who only cares about his big business & making $.... not the citizens.....Units are now being told violate the established protocols concerning patient transport etc because the city cannot handle it...on another day if a Unit did some of what they are being told to do.... they would hooked up.... & all of the preceding has taken place w/out any above normal amount of serious Fires.......We have been lucky so far .......tonight could be worse.......Be careful.