Snow Prep?

T

Ten-seventy-seven

It's the rear wheel drive imports that are causing all the problems, can't get any traction. My front wheel drive has caused no problems through the 10 inches of snow we've had.

Here's a visual idea of how it happens:
FDNY
Note that 131 has tire chains, but look at the sheer amount of snow the truck has to get over (most likely partially left by Sanitation).  An ambulance with much less clearance, smaller tires, and no chains has no chance of clearing something like that.

10-77 i lost count of how many front wheel drives had to be pushed for the whole block just to get out of my st last night.

T

Ten-seventy-seven

68jk09 said:
10-77 i lost count of how many front wheel drives had to be pushed for the whole block just to get out of my st last night.

Not disagreeing with that, but I doubt it's the front wheel drive alone thats the issue.  Are these automatic or manual gears?  You should always move off in second or even third in heavy snow, an automatic should use manual gears.  Around where I live all the rear wheel drives are struggling in all the conditions, many of which are BMW's, and are just being abandoned.  The only time the front wheel drive would struggle is on solid ice when it would need some initial traction to get moving, even uphill, but on soft snow any front wheel drive, front engined vehicle should have no problems. 

69 METS said:
memory master said:
FDNY EMS places additional units in service within each borough. The ambulances used to be "chained" for snow but since so many vehicles had the floors of the rear side compartments torn up by a flopping chain that was discontinued and they are using all weather tires and have placed two small shovels on the ambulances. (As if that's going to work) ::)

"Onspot Chains" are decent for emergency vehicles of all kinds: http://www.onspot.com/ They are not as effective as full tire chains in very deep snow, but are good in that you can use them as needed. If you're out running from box to box (or call to call) and begin to encounter streets that are plowed, you hit the switch and the chains are lifted up out of the way. No fenders and compartments damaged by broken links.

We had a couple of ALF pumpers with the on-spots. The problem with them is deep snow. Anything deeper than 6 inches and it interferes with them spinning. Really the time tested mounted chains work the best. But, as pointed out, as soon as the roads are clear and they start running on pavement, they will start snapping and tearing up compartments.

W

wwf45

On-Spots or any of the other "automatic" snow chains  Are really only good in less than 6" of snow.!!

ww...could you elaborate.....is it because deeper snow would hamper the spinning ?

W

wwf45

To elaborate,  Yes, if there is  more that 6" of snow the chains have a hard time spinning around and do not get fully under the tire.  I have more than 18yrs of experience of using them on my delivery truck, so I am well versed on there uses.  The "automatic" snow chains are great for light snow, Ice, or to just get traction on a hill.  For best results, chains should be deployed while moving and before traction has already been lost.  They are also great because the chains can be "stowed" on dry roads, and will not tear up fender wells.  When they first came out they were expensive, but now should cost less than $2,000 to install on a vehicle.

ww...Thank You......another question....does the size of the unit & the price vary depending on the size of the truck....like a pickup as opposed to a much larger rig ?

68jk09 said:
ww...Thank You......another question....does the size of the unit & the price vary depending on the size of the truck....like a pickup as opposed to a much larger rig ?

Here's the link to their website Chief: http://www.onspot.com/ I looked only briefly, but it sounds like the only difference in price is the additional kit that you need if you don't have air brakes. I had these installed on all the rigs in the Volly department upstate (2) dual axle rescue - pumpers, a Mack CF (former FDNY pumper), two ambulances and a mini pumper. They worked well, but as was noted they are designed for 6" or less of snow, packed snow and ice.