Spare fleet

L702 was kept at soc island for awhile. and the engine.
The hazmat 2s and squad 800 were not there. unless they moved them there resently.
There is not that much room
SQ*800 and a spare rescue are at the SOC depot

Last edited:
Feel like the spare fleet is usually pretty rough and there are always issues with maintaining a healthy spare pools for any fleet (not just FDNY). Squads, Tillers, etc only have like one or two spares. The 75' towers should finally be seeing some relief as the 2010s are being replaced and should immediately enter as spares. There have been some 2002-2004s still floating around in the spare pool and for some reason are usually seen operating at a big job. Think there are a few 2001-2002 era Rearmounts in the spare fleet.

With that said; the shops does an amazing job at keeping it going. FDNY has one of if not the largest fleets of fire and EMS vehicles.
very true fleet services do gr8 job. think any manufacturer you'll see problems , way our roads are (not being smoothest for sure), amount of running the companies do, our rigs take a beating.

L706 quartered with L44 has not been moved in close to a year. Who is responsible for making sure these rigs run and are functional?
The Unit where the Reserve Rig is quartered is basically responsible to keep the Reserve Rig ready to go.....when i was the CPT of 275 we had a Reserve Pumper in our Qtrs.....the maintaining of it as far as fluids ...fuel...batteries etc...etc....were not really a big deal....the thing for the Officer was making sure all the necessary Tools & Equipment (as each one has a full complement ) did not take a walk so to speak so constant inventory was necessary .....at one point the Job did provide a large locking chest (like a JOB BOX) found at construction sites.....this was a big help in keeping track of the smaller pieces like Nozzle's ...Fitting's etc...etc......back then when i was IN 275 LAD*133 had not been organized so there was a lot of room in our Double House.....in some Single FHs a Reserve Unit can take up valuable inside space on the Apparatus floor so they are something most Companies would rather see somewhere else.....in regard to Brad's reply # 16 above i would like to touch on Unit identification on a Spare Rig....yes sometime a Spare is seen being used without Company Numbers .....to me this is unacceptable as in the" heat of battle" a rapid means of ID on a Rig could be critical .....aside from this it is also about Company Pride.....the Job in recent times has provided a set of large magnetic signs with the Unit number.....these do at times get lost or "stolen" but it is not hard to use some tape to provide Unit ID.....in the past there were some instances where Units got carried away using spray or brush paint to put numbers on a Rig leaving it as a problem to clean off at it's next temporary assignment.....the Job specifically forbids this & if a Spare is returned painted up the Officer where it was marked up will have to answer for it.....aside from UNIT ID on a Rig another thing is ID on a Covering Officers Frontpiece....in the case of a COV OFF with a blank Front this is not about Company Pride but is about Tactical ID....a COV OFF could wind up working anywhere in the City & if one reports in to the IC at the height of a job the IC could have no clue what Unit he was working in rather than just firing out an assignment he then has to say ask what Unit are you covering in ?......the Job has provided each Unit with Inserts for COV OFF to use for the tour but as with the magnetic Rig numbers these tend to get "lost" (probably even more so than the large numbers).....a simple piece of cardboard & a magic marker can solve the problem....a COV OFF that shows up with a blank Front is showing me he is negligent about HIS responsibilities as an Officer.

Brad didn't mention it, but the policy is different for the 5 Rescue companies. R2 through R5 have a fully equipped, ready to go dedicated spare located with them. R1 will have a dedicated, fully equipped spare when it receives its new rig, but there's no room in their house for it, so it will be quartered elsewhere. These spares will be the 2011 Ferraras that are in the process of being replaced as first line apparatus by 2020 Ferraras.
R4 Reserve is at SOC
R1 Reserve will be at E4 more then likely

The Unit where the Reserve Rig is quartered is basically responsible to keep the Reserve Rig ready to go.....when i was the CPT of 275 we had a Reserve Pumper in our Qtrs.....the maintaining of it as far as fluids ...fuel...batteries etc...etc....were not really a big deal....the thing for the Officer was making sure all the necessary Tools & Equipment (as each one has a full complement ) did not take a walk so to speak so constant inventory was necessary .....at one point the Job did provide a large locking chest (like a JOB BOX) found at construction sites.....this was a big help in keeping track of the smaller pieces like Nozzle's ...Fitting's etc...etc......back then when i was IN 275 LAD*133 had not been organized so there was a lot of room in our Double House.....in some Single FHs a Reserve Unit can take up valuable inside space on the Apparatus floor so they are something most Companies would rather see somewhere else.....in regard to Brad's reply # 16 above i would like to touch on Unit identification on a Spare Rig....yes sometime a Spare is seen being used without Company Numbers .....to me this is unacceptable as in the" heat of battle" a rapid means of ID on a Rig could be critical .....aside from this it is also about Company Pride.....the Job in recent times has provided a set of large magnetic signs with the Unit number.....these do at times get lost or "stolen" but it is not hard to use some tape to provide Unit ID.....in the past there were some instances where Units got carried away using spray or brush paint to put numbers on a Rig leaving it as a problem to clean off at it's next temporary assignment.....the Job specifically forbids this & if a Spare is returned painted up the Officer where it was marked up will have to answer for it.....aside from UNIT ID on a Rig another thing is ID on a Covering Officers Frontpiece....in the case of a COV OFF with a blank Front this is not about Company Pride but is about Tactical ID....a COV OFF could wind up working anywhere in the City & if one reports in to the IC at the height of a job the IC could have no clue what Unit he was working in rather than just firing out an assignment he then has to say ask what Unit are you covering in ?......the Job has provided each Unit with Inserts for COV OFF to use for the tour but as with the magnetic Rig numbers these tend to get "lost" (probably even more so than the large numbers).....a simple piece of cardboard & a magic marker can solve the problem....a COV OFF that shows up with a blank Front is showing me he is negligent about HIS responsibilities as an Officer.
Does anyone drive the reserve rigs making sure they are fully functional?

Good information... very interesting. Thanks, Chief

Engine 81 has been in a spare for the last 2 months, I have heard they aren’t getting their main rig back, but their new rig should be coming to them soon.

Engine 81 has been in a spare for the last 2 months, I have heard they aren’t getting their main rig back, but their new rig should be coming to them soon.
You will be the first to know don’t worry hahaha. I believe the current 2008 is already being used as a spare