Squad Co's Requirements ?

E

Engine 77

Could someone answer for me the requirements that makes up a Squad Co. ie, training and equipment to meet that status in FDNY. I 'am a Captain in an ENG CO. that is trained in EMS,water/ice rescue,haz-mat ops,confined space,Rope rescue,extrication and FAST response. Our training schedule and response allows us to alternate through each to maintain our skill level as well as eng co operations. Any feedback is greatly appreciated .

MAX

F

fdonthejob

You have to get on the job first. Than be a regular proby and go to a regular company and learn to be a fireman. Than you can go for an interview. Your background may or may not help you.

E

Engine 77

I am not looking for a job with FDNY, only information that makes up a squad company in FDNY. Such as  what they require for equipment and training. Anotherwords, what is there function, fire suppresion, light rescue, Fast, Etc.

Max

F

fdonthejob

They have pumpers. respond as an Engine 1st ,2nd 3rd due area. Haz Mat trained with 2nd piece. rescue quailfied. Respond on 10-75's. Carry a toll box filled with tools. In special operations command.

B

BKLYNTRUCK

Max, The Squads are trained in High Angle Rope Rescue, Confined Space Rescue, Trained to level 2 Hazmat Tech's, Cold Water and Ice rescue, Vehicle extrication, Heavy rigging, Collapse operations. They respond as an engine company on 1st, 2nd and 3rd due boxes except for Squad 1 which only turns out as an engine for approximately 35 to 40 first due engine boxes. The Squads can assume the role of the first or second due truck company if needed. When operating in Squad mode, they operate in 3 two man teams. Fire floor, floor above and Roof. Ultimately, it is up to the Incident Commander as to how they will be used.

E

Engine 77

BKLYNTRUCK,

This is the info I am looking for, with what we do we are operating as they are. This has been a goal of ours to become a squad and it seams we have made it. You have been a great help!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS !!!!!!!

MAX

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
All FDNY FF's have ladder training. 

Squads getting training in things such as confined space, high angle, hazmat, and other rescue stuff. 
At fires Squads when not working as Engines will operate sorta like a truck company.

Thats what i ment they do operations like a ladder but they have and engine with equipment like a rescue

The Squads have dual assignments, regular engine positions (nozzle,backup,door & control) and also have ladder positions (roof,ov,entry, can). They carry usual truck hand tools and saws and many special pieces of equipment that the normal engines do not have.