Staten Island/Bronx Frequency

I know that S.I. and the Bronx share the same frequency. They also have different PL numbers, but I still pick up the Bronx on S.I.'s PL. Any cause?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
They use the same PL tones.. You will have to wait until the UHF system goes online to solve the problem

So S.I. units hear the Bronx and visa-versa? That has to make alot of transmissions getting stepped on.

It's really not that bad considering the lower amount of fire traffic on S.I. and the distance between the two base transmitters (FM receivers "capture" the strongest signal).

Way back when, Bronx shared a channel with Manhattan.  I'm sure *that* was a joy!  :p

Yes, I remember when Da Bronx was on the same frequency as Manhatten (154.25). And that was just as the busy War Years were beginning. It was such a great move at the time, to let The Bronx share Staten Islands (called Richmond at that time) frequency.

54, I know you've been out of the game for a while, but it's worse now. I can't think of how many times during the course of a tour, we have to have units repeat because they got stepped on by an SI Unit, or SI has to repeat because one of our units stepped on them.

Makes you wonder whether the radio shops didn't set up "reverse PL" where the presence of a given tone can lock a signal out of a receiver.  Voting receivers equipped with reverse PL just might fix that issue. 

But, hey, are all the boro's getting their own fqy. when they hop up to UHF?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Yes all boros going to dedicated freqs and two citywides.