Staten Island Radio

I have noticed that the volume and clarity of the Staten Island frequency is minimal to say the least. Is it just my reception or are other listeners experiencing the same thing? I listen on the "fdbravest" site. Is there anything that I can do??

im on grymes hill and i can hear SI pretty well. However the bronx can come over good or bad. With my scanner its a crapshoot (i think i need to get a new antenna). But what part of the city are you listening from?

mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
im on grymes hill and i can hear SI pretty well. However the bronx can come over good or bad. With my scanner its a crapshoot (i think i need to get a new antenna). But what part of the city are you listening from?

Listening via "the bravest" on the computer in northeast, Pa.

The staten island feed on the bravest is hit or miss. Mostly miss. I said something about it on the bravest shoutbox and got banned. On a side note, anyone know how to get "unbanned" from the shoutbox?

YWell I work on South Shore of Staten Island and sometimes the radio is barely audible.  It seems to have to do with the weather.  Sometimes you can hear the Bronx clearly as well as SI, and other times both of them are a mess.  I really don't know how each Borough doesn"t have it's own frequency.

Are the individual Bronx / S I frequencies on UHF any better reception

mack

Administrator
Think of what the SI/Bronx frequency was like a few years back when Bronx companies were running like crazy and SI companies might be having a busy brush fire day.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The new channels.are narrow band..so when compared to a standard channel the audio.will be low.

In the Bronx FDNY rigs you can hear Staten Island transmission being sent through because on the radio in the Rig it says Bronx-SI

Has anyone heard S.I. fire on that radio refernce site? I have only heard PD and I listened for quite a while.

FDNYBuff97 said:
In the Bronx FDNY rigs you can hear Staten Island transmission being sent through because on the radio in the Rig it says Bronx-SI

This is because they share the frequency. Both transmitting out by the dispatcher and transmitting in on the rigs. As it was relayed to me, this was done because at the time,(60's I think) the powers that be felt the boroughs were far enough away that it wouldn't be a problem. Different story now with the change in signal strength.  Brooklyn shared with Philadelphia at one time. And once, when I was a dispatcher in the Bronx, E-156 couldn't get through to SI, so I answered them and passed along the info.

Another true story, passed on to me by Sal from Eagle Emblems(Shameless plug, I know), Engine 79 and Ladder 79 once gave simultaneous 10-75's.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Years back, early 60's, Bronx was on the same frequency as Manhattan & Brooklyn & Queens shared the Bklyn channel. Look we have come a long way.

Bridgeport, CT and Queens share the same freq, or did until recently. FF's in Bridgeport, which is straight up LI Sound, would be interrupted in quarters during the night by clear transmissions from Queens.

Would someone be so kind as to advise me what the e-mail is for "The Bravest" site. I cannot utilize the "contact us" on that site. Thanks