STREET STRUCTURES.

mack

Administrator
You are right Chief. These temporary structures deteriorate rapidly, fail to be maintained, attract rodents, become eyesores. They are combustable and have little or no security or alarm systems. They detract significantly from the charm of neighborhoods. Sidewalk structures can also diminish safety by diminishing visibility and shielding muggers and thiefs. There apparently are minimal standards required to build these structures. Once constructed, they remain - even if unused.

You are right Chief. These temporary structures deteriorate rapidly, fail to be maintained, attract rodents, become eyesores. They are combustable and have little or no security or alarm systems. They detract significantly from the charm of neighborhoods. Sidewalk structures can also diminish safety by diminishing visibility and shielding muggers and thiefs. There apparently are minimal standards required to build these structures. Once constructed, they remain - even if unused.
Very true brother.

I couldn't agree more! They've become a nuisance here in Center City and South Philadelphia. I cringe and I'm not even driving anymore; thankfully, my aide doesn't flinch and has genius level skills behind the wheel.

FROM NYC FIRE WIRE.... "

NYC Fire Wire

44m ·

In what way is this 'outdoor dining' good? Becides being unsafe to eat in while your sitting in traffic, it is a huge obstical to overcome for firefighters. How are the members supposed to get their equipment out or even set the ladder up to rescue people?"

FROM NYC FIRE WIRE.... "

NYC Fire Wire

44m ·

In what way is this 'outdoor dining' good? Becides being unsafe to eat in while your sitting in traffic, it is a huge obstical to overcome for firefighters. How are the members supposed to get their equipment out or even set the ladder up to rescue people?"

I got temporary due to covid in beginning BUT now time for them to all be removed. Enough is enough.

I’d rather it be a bike lane then that “Hut”, and I’m not really “pro bike”. No cars can park, and the bicycles can move out of the way, seems like a win

I’d rather it be a bike lane then that “Hut”, and I’m not really “pro bike”. No cars can park, and the bicycles can move out of the way, seems like a win
The bike lanes are pretty bad! 8th Avenue adding and causing SQ18 hard time during the day to get uptown. It’s 2 lanes by 34th street with bike lane, parking lane 2 driving lanes with double parking and a taxi lane

The bike lanes are pretty bad! 8th Avenue adding and causing SQ18 hard time during the day to get uptown. It’s 2 lanes by 34th street with bike lane, parking lane 2 driving lanes with double parking and a taxi lane
I don’t disagree, not a fan of bike lanes, but anything to get rid of these shacks

As far as the outdoor dining goes, here in Cincinnati, I've found it more difficult for pedestrians than drivers. Tables are taking over sidewalks. In some areas sidewalks have been expanded to accommodate these. In the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood-a popular hotspot for restaurants and bars-a few side streets have been completely closed off to vehicular traffic in favor of outdoor dining, those are all side streets with little thru traffic to begin with. I think that's a better idea that putting dining spots in the middle of the street as shown in the first post.

More needs to be done to move away from depending on personal passenger cars as the primary or sole form of transportation in a city. I looked at a transit map of Manhattan and you can't go very far without finding a bus or train. Around here the has been a great increase in bad wrecks as well as pedestrians getting struck by vehicles (I, myself, was a victim of such nearly 5 years ago). Attempts have been made to make things safer and slow cars down. One such way has been to narrow larger two-way streets by putting in medians. That does cause a problem for emergency vehicles making them trapped behind traffic and unable to cross the opposite side of the street. One of the biggest problem areas in that respect (that I've personally observed) is the busy Martin Luther King Dr which is six lanes plus a median and is a busy corridor for ambulances as it connects both I-71 and I-75 and runs near three of the city's busiest hospitals. It is frequently full of cars especially at peak hours.

As far as roads being too narrow, the bigger problems, at least around here are #1, in Downtown and nearby neighborhoods the road structure is very old and weren't designed to hold as much traffic, or as big of vehicles as it does today making roads and lanes narrow. The other big problem is all of the Uber drivers and similar who park their cars in no-parking zones, or in some cases the middle of the lane of travel. That hinders traffic as a whole thus making it slower for emergency vehicles.

mack

Administrator
There are bike lanes in many places which are set apart by barriers - which can cause a truck company a floor on their aerial ladder or tower. Boston has several. And the bike paths are an illusion which offers no real protection for bikers and often encourages dangerous use on high volume and high-speed roads which often have much safer off-road former bike paths. Many bike paths are not engineered or laid out safely. They frequently end abruptly at dangerous intersections and leave bikers in busy turning lanes. The do not help motorists because they are not visible in traffic and many bikers simple move in and out of bike lanes constantly. I believe they are actually responsible for many accidents, do not improve safety and are an expensive political gimmick which wastes money without accountability or results.

This is safer for bikers?

1663513473392.png

Last edited:
10-14-22
NYC Fire Wire

"8pm last night, Engine 40 & Ladder 25 responded to a car thru the outdoor dining shed at 442 Amsterdam Avenue. Luckily, no one was in it at the time."

I couldn't agree more! They've become a nuisance here in Center City and South Philadelphia. I cringe and I'm not even driving anymore; thankfully, my aide doesn't flinch and has genius level skills behind the wheel.
Glad to hear that the P.F.D. still has Chiefs Aides. I know they were trying to get rid of them a number of years ago.