Super Pumper System

I've been reading an original WYNF 1965 edition that profiles the delivery & training of the Super Pumper System. After reading the article I was very impressed of what went into its development & training. My question to you FDNY members (active/retired) & FDNY buffs; Have any of you witnessed its usage or have been assigned to it when it was in service?

I witnessed it is use at several Brooklyn jobs.  The noise was deafening with the result the Super Pumper was usually kept blocks away from the actual fire.  I believe firefighters assigned to the Super Pumper received extra pay, and ear coverings.

My father was a Lieutentant assigned to the Superpumper System from 1969 until it was "paired" with Engine 207 in the mid to late 1970's.  The members did recieve extra pay and had to wear hearing protection due to the high pitch whine of the marine engine used to power the pump.  When it was used at major jobs with either the Supertender and/or the Satellites, it was a sight to see.

While responding to the job, The Super Pumper would be advised over radio of where the "Hook up Site would be". The dispatcher would say something like "Super Pumper, your hook up site is at Westchester and Southern Blvd". As I recall, the Super Pumper Unit would operate from this location, although the fire could be several blocks away. The Tender Unit would Drive to the job dropping its large diameter hose (maybe 6 " not sure), and then maybe separate the Tractor Section from The Trailer Section. The Tractor section with its very large Water Cannon would drive close to the building to hit the fire with a very effective stream. I believe the Super Pumper Hook up site would be directly from a City Water Main, not a hydrant.
  "JJFLOOD", What an Honor to have your father been a Lt assigned to the Super Pumper. A one of a kind piece of apparatus that fought fires during those Historic War Years.

are there any statistics of how many times the Super Pumper responded to calls and how many times it was operated at fires?

There is a great book titled "The FDNY Super Pumper System"  by John A.Calderone and published by Fire Apparatus Journal.

RPM3311 said:
are there any statistics of how many times the Super Pumper responded to calls and how many times it was operated at fires?
[/quote

Just found some stats in the Calderone book.

The Super Pumper and Tender operated from 1965 to 1982.  It had a total of 2,285 runs and 918 workers.

Found some good pictures of the SPS at this site:

http://www.youngstownfire.com/forums/index.php?topic=1456.0

It really is a shame the Department didn't keep that or the Super Tender. The Super Tender is owned by someone out in California I think.

mack

Administrator
Planning and preparation for the Superpumper:

Background:  The contract was signed December 3, 1963. The concept originated from marine architects and engineers. It was primarily designed to draft water itself or be supplied by fireboats, but could be supplied by hydrants.  There was a lot of research done to determine adequate water supply from high pressure mains in downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan, where they targeted most use.  They determined low pressure hookup locations.  They found drafting sites. New fittings were designed.  Mack proposed the apparatus capabilities and specifications.  The Bureau of Fire did all the evolutions for operation.  This was all new stuff.

Quarters:  It was decided that the Superpumper and the Supertender had to be quartered together because the Tender carried necessary hose, fittings and equipment for operation.  An analysis of major fires (5th or greater) indicated lower Manhattan and Williamsburg had the highest incidence.  The Newtown Creek areas of Brooklyn and Queens was also targeted a high hazard area due to the type of buildings and insufficient water mains.  Engine 211 was selected due to its central location to these three areas and access to major arteries to go elsewhere in the city.  E211 also had three bays, floor load bearing capacity, adequate door width and sufficient street width.  L119 was a high ladder and was able to be positioned behind E211. (Note - eventually the Superpumper quarters were built on Tillary St w/E207).

Satellites:  They had considered housing all three Satellites with the Superpumper/Supertender.  They decided that if the Satellites were positioned in different boroughs, at least one would most likely reach the fire before the Superpumper and would be able to lay supply lines and discharge lines.  They also determined Satellities could operate independently with a fireboat or with assigned engines.  They decided to initially locate the Satellites at E31, E83 and E242 due to response requirements and road networks.

Response Plans:  The department planned response of the Superpumper system was to 2nd alarms in lower Manhattan, Red Hook, Williamsburg and the Newtown Creek area.  It would also respond to all other 3rd alarms.  They expected 300 runs a year.  All 2nd alarms had a Sattelite response as well as any fire in which a fireboat was operating on a land fire.

Personnel:  A selection board looked for firefighters with experience in tractor trailer driving and in diesel engine mechanics.  A training program was established for prospective members.

Evolutions:  Operations planned included: taking in suction; fireboat supply; high pressure system use; low pressure system use; conventional pumper supply; use of Supertender and Satellite monitors; conventional pumper supply; supply to water mains; and use of hose bridges.

(info from WNYF articles)           

Super-Pumper 1:
sp1x.jpg

Tender:
tender1t.jpg

Here are some Super Pumper stats
1965 was its first year in service and it did 46 runs and 7 workers
It's busiest years were 1968 237 runs  67 workers
                                  1970 234 runs 78 workers
                                  1974 231 runs 114 workers
                                  1975 216 runs 134 workers
Total runs from 1965 till 1982 when taken out of service 2285 with 918 workers
This info came from another one of John Calderones great books . For the Code 3 collectors they made a incredible 5 piece set of the super pumper ,tender and 3 satellites with a display shelf to hold all . I have both the book and code 3 set and would recommend both if they can be found