The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

Hey Uncle Wilfred, were these the songs you were movin' and groovin' to back in the day?

fdce54 said:
Hey Uncle Wilfred, were these the songs you were movin' and groovin' to back in the day?

Well Frank, I was out there with the older kids on the street corners of Bridgeport's East Side joining in with some of those 1958 Doo Wop tunes.

They were hits 62 years ago and for a lot of us, we still remember all the words.

Maybe not 62 years ago but back in those Doo Wop Days, maybe you joined your buddies too. Singing under the corner street lights of those South Bronx Streets. With Tom Eve, "guitarman314" not too far away.

Of course as many of us know, Tom put his Doo Wop skills to work playing guitar later on for many of those Great Doo Wop groups.

Anyway Frank, here you go. NUMBER 1 on this date, April 8, 1958.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9XfxU0ZWDU

Last edited:
You heard them during the "submarine races" while listening to Murray The K on 1010 WINS, or Peter Trip on 1050 WMGM and so on.

memory master said:
You heard them during the "submarine races" while listening to Murray The K on 1010 WINS, or Peter Trip on 1050 WMGM and so on.

The Swingin' Soiree With Murray the K  ;)

nfd2004 said:
nfd2004 said:
Doo Wop is coming to Staten Island

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7P0UVftteQ

As the saying goes: "The Show Must Go On". But in these days of quarantine due to the coronavirus, that is NOT the case at all.

The Doo Wop Show that was scheduled for Staten Islands Center for the Arts, was forced to cancel their Saturday April 4th evening show.

But on that date, April 4th, Stilletto and Saxman came up with an idea. They wanted to put on a show of their own for all of us to enjoy during these days of quarantine.

The show was originally scheduled the same day that this site member, Chief Jack Kleehaas (68jk09) would celebrate his Birthday.

So Chief we dedicate this one to you as we wish you a Happy Belated Birthday.

Here is; "Stilletto and Saxman"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqozUi2m9M

The Arminios, Stiletto and The Saxman Live from the Kitchen Part 2 (It's about an hour long), as they entertain us during these "Stay at Home Days".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2igecPEywU

Last edited:
A slightly different version than you may remember, but cool anyway!

https://youtu.be/BlXTMn0um3o   

Next, go to https://youtu.be/5qfqNe0Kk2A  for the 3:54 original.  A whole lotta shakin? goin? on!  If you?re over 60 years old you should probably get your cardiologist?s permission to watch this. 

Don?t say you weren?t warned!

As most of us know, Doreen Arminio, of "Stiletto and the Saxman's, father is a Retired FDNY Member. On Thursday, April 30th it is his birthday and that is when the next "The Arminios, Stiletto and the Saxman Live from the Kitchen Show, Part 3 will take place - Dedicated to Doreens father, Tom Brusca.

If you miss the show, it is usually posted on youtube a day or so later. 

Sad to report that Harold Reid, the bass voice, of the Statler Brothers passed away on Friday 4/24 at the age of 80. The Statler Brothers (none of whom were related) got their start with Johnny Cash and had a string of hits over the years starting with "Flowers On The Wall."
They were primarily a country music group and in my opinion never put out a bad song. Rest In Peace Harold and thanks for the memories.

REMINDER....Tonight (4/30) at 7pm a live show put on by Arminio Entertainment as Doreen Arminio celebrates her fathers birthday, Retired FDNY Firefighter Tom Brusca.

Starting at 6:30 pm, there will be an interview with Tony Dean who will post the show on youtube as well.

Tune in at 6:30 pm tonight:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.arminio

Last edited:
Again, another passing of our musical family so to speak. Bobby Lewis who had hits with "Tossin & Turnin" and "One Track Mind" in 1960 passed away on April 28 at the age of 95. Rest In Peace Bobby and thanks for the memories.

I had the opportunity to back him up at a couple of big oldies shows put on by Richard Nader and Dick Fox. He was blind but could still sit behind a piano or pick up a guitar and led the band during soundchecks. Every obituary I saw yesterday had a different age for him ranging from 77 to 95 but I am almost sure he was about 87 years old. ;)

memory master said:
Gman, did you get the pm I sent you recently?
  Yes, thanks, I have read some of that book about the "Wrecking Crew" and I was well aquainted with their drummer, Hal Blaine, staying in touch with him until he passed away.  ;)

guitarman314 said:
memory master said:
Gman, did you get the pm I sent you recently?
  Yes, thanks, I have read some of that book about the "Wrecking Crew" and I was well aquainted with their drummer, Hal Blaine, staying in touch with him until he passed away.  ;)
Read the same book G, so impressed with Hal and Carol Kaye. The impact they made to music is immeasurable! Kind of Jealous that you knew Hal.

Again, another passing. Carl Dobkins Jr. who had the 1959 hit of "My Heart Is An Open Book" passed away on April 8, 2020 at the age of 79. Rest In Peace Carl and thanks for the memory.

This is getting to be a daily thing unfortunately, Millicent Dolly Small aka Millie Small who recorded the hit "My Boy Lollipop" in 1964 passed away in London, England on May 5, 2020 She was 72 years young. Rest In Peace Millie and thanks for the memories.

68jk09 said:
Doreen Arminio's Father Tom Brusca 310 bottom row...... https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QzdDNWZlZjNQRWhOcllrQnUxdXZvOHhkMTl1Rk5n ........also her Dad on the left ....Glenn Harris R*2 & then 113 CPT Sal Cassano later Fire Commisioner....... https://postimg.cc/4Y2Y15Sp

Thursday, May 7th was the 60th Wedding Anniversary for Doreen Arminio's father, Retired FDNY Firefighter Tom Brusca and his wife Lois.

So Doreen and Joey Arminio sang this song in their honor.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-u_Di7tmQU

Last edited: