They Still Got It

Chief, th? station that memory master is referring to is 660 Am out of Bridgeport. It?s about 60 miles from NYC. I think you might be able to get it. WICC 660 AM

Thanks Charlie for that info but I just tried it and for me, I?m just a little too far from there to get it.

68jk09 said:
memory master said:
Willy, I just learned that "Big" Al Warren does an oldies show each Saturday from 10A-2P on 660 WICC. He started at that station in 1965, 54 years ago. Have you ever tuned in?
Where does this station broadcast from ? ......does it reach NYC ?.... is was in a supermarket last Saturday evening & they were playing some good oldies over the loud speakers .....the DJ in-between songs sounded like he was saying "60s at 6" or "60s on 6" ?....i asked a few of the workers if it was a radio station or a tape or what ? they were clueless .
Chief, "60's on 6" is Sirius/XM radio channel 6.

I thought maybe it was Sirius radio that night last Sat in the supermarket but as i said the employees i asked were clueless...last night which was a week later i put 660 AM on in my truck & it was sports....same thing today then i saw you confirming the 60s on 6 was Sirius Thanks.

Since it's "Throwback Thursday" here's one for you from the music oldies era.
What did the 1957 recording of "Little Bitty Pretty One" by Thurston Harris, the 1958 recording Of "Rebel Rouser" by Duane Eddy and the 1962 recording of "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" by The Rivingtons all have in common?  I know you know without doing research, don't you??

nfd2004 said:
This brother and sister team entertained us in the 1970s with their own television show. He was only 16 years old and she was only 14.

These days, although I don't think they have reached medicare age yet, they are still performing in front of live audiences. The older brother named Donny, I think is 61 years old, and his younger sister, Marie will soon be 60 years old.

Together they function quite well as they don't only sing, but also can make you laugh.

They still do live shows together. But this was Donny and Marie Osmond two years ago in July, 2017.

On Saturday night, November 16, 2019, after FIVE Decades of performing together, the Donny and Marie Osmond live performances have come to an end.

What was supposed to be a six week schedule at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas, ended up being ELEVEN Years of performing their live show at that hotel.

This was their last show together.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsMEKRlySB8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww10qClkBAQ

Last edited:
memory master said:
What did the 1957 recording of "Little Bitty Pretty One" by Thurston Harris, the 1958 recording Of "Rebel Rouser" by Duane Eddy and the 1962 recording of "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" by The Rivingtons all have in common?  I know you know without doing research, don't you??
The answers are about the background singers. "The Sharps" were a Los Angeles group that had no hits of their own. They backed Thurston Harris on "Little Bitty Pretty One" and did the whooping and yelling in the background on "Rebel Rouser." They changed their name to the "Rivingtons" and had a moderate hit with "Papa-Ooom-Mow-Mow." Way back when, as "The Sharps" they backed Paul Anka on one of his first recordings. I'm not sure of which one.

memory master said:
memory master said:
The answers are about the background singers. "The Sharps" were a Los Angeles group that had no hits of their own. They backed Thurston Harris on "Little Bitty Pretty One" and did the whooping and yelling in the background on "Rebel Rouser." They changed their name to the "Rivingtons" and had a moderate hit with "Papa-Ooom-Mow-Mow." Way back when, as "The Sharps" they backed Paul Anka on one of his first recordings. I'm not sure of which one.

Charlie, I think you got us on your earlier question.

But I'm going to guess without cheating that Paul Anka's first recording back then might have been "Diana" (Maybe - ?)

nfd2004 said:
memory master said:
memory master said:

Charlie, I think you got us on your earlier question.

But I'm going to guess without cheating that Paul Anka's first recording back then might have been "Diana" (Maybe - ?)

Give that man a Booby prize!!!  Straight from Wikipedia (and we all know everything on Wikipedia is gospel, right (??!!!!??  :eek: ::) :eek: ) :

"Paul Anka recorded his first single, "I Confess", when he was 14. In 1957, with $100 given to him by his uncle, he went to New York City where he auditioned for Don Costa at ABC, singing what was widely believed to be a lovestruck verse he had written to a former babysitter."

I don't have a clue who the backup singers on this record were, but I'm inclined to doubt that it was a group from LA.

For the fans of "They Still Got It".

The song "I confess" was actually Paul Anka's "FIRST Song". As Memory Master and Raybrag say; he was only 14 years old when he recorded it.

A check into those first back up singers shows it was a group called; "The Four Jacks". But I must confess, I found that only after I cheated. So it looks like "MM", you stumped the stars on this one.

His very famous song "Diana" came out actually one year later, when he was 15 years old.

These days at 78 years old, Paul Anka is still doing live shows. Some 63 years after that first song titled: "I confess".

So we take you back to those Happy Days of a different time. The year was 1956 and this is how it all started.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGV3AjBNvQg

Last edited:
In 1964 a group that called themselves The Drifters came out with a couple of hit songs. Those two songs, one was called: "Up on the Roof", and the other "Under the Broadwalk", are still being sung live by that group, along with there lead singer, Charlie Thomas, who is now 82 years old.

This live performance was done in August, 2019. Here Charlie Thomas introduces the members of the group and sings those two songs.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo36YHzBzyk

Last edited:
Just getting back to Paul Anka and "Diana" for a moment, he was with "Cousin" Bruce Morrow at the 1010 WINS studio (when WINS was a top 40 station) and Morrow debuted that record. Willy, great songs by the Drifters who started way back in the early 50's with a few other lead singers. I like all of their recordings but "White Christmas" is one of the best.

memory master said:
Just getting back to Paul Anka and "Diana" for a moment, he was with "Cousin" Bruce Morrow at the 1010 WINS studio (when WINS was a top 40 station) and Morrow debuted that record. Willy, great songs by the Drifters who started way back in the early 50's with a few other lead singers. I like all of their recordings but "White Christmas" is one of the best.

Charlie, "White Christmas" by the Drifters is my favorite too. What better time to play it but now with Christmas, 2019 approaching.

So Charlie, aka "memory master", jungle bells and Merry Christmas; "This one's for YOU".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax9FCq-A9xc

Also for the members who might be interested in a couple more Doo Wop Christmas Melodies, check out "A DOO WOP CHRISTMAS" in the Videography Section.

It includes, Brenda Lee, Kenny Vance, Johnny Mastro, Ronnie Spector, Larry Chance and the Earls, of course The Drifters (White Christmas) and Doo Wop singer Doreen Arminio, daughter of a retired FDNY Firefighter

This is the link.

Last edited:
The Drifters actually go back a long way before 1964. Clyde McPhatter was the original lead in the 50s, replaced by Ben E. King in the late 50s. Both went solo, King in 1961 with ? stand by me ?. ?Up on the Roof? was 1962/3.

Probably 1954 with Clyde McPhatter, Bill Pickney, Gerhart and Andrew Thrasher. Their first hit was "Honey Love."

His first big hit came out in 1975. The title of that song is called: "Mandy" and today Barry Manilow, at 76 years old, is still doing live shows.

Here is that first song, "Mandy" being sung 48 years later, along with a few other of his famous hits.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaE3Nig8xAo

One of our more senile, I mean senior members of this site had a little "thing" for this famous female singer (video below). This song was originally sung by the Shirelles and then the Beatles.

Unfortunately this female singer passed away in 2016, but I would like to post this song in her memory, and for our "unnamed" senior member. Actually he told me "she sang this for him".

Anyway, the name of the song is: "Baby it's you" and she sang it in 1969. Maybe you remember Gayle McCormick, who passed away in 2016 at 67 years old.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuWsRkF5SIo

Last edited:
Sad to report that we lost Herb Cox, founder and lead singer of "The Cleftones" on December 7th. They had hits with "Little Girl Of Mine", "Can't We Be Sweethearts" among others. The group hailed from the Jamaica section of Queens and before they became known they used to practice and rehearse in the rear of a beauty salon on Merrick Blvd. and 111 Avenue. I had the pleasure meeting and speaking with Herb at a show when I worked part time at the old WNYG 1440 on Long Island. Herb was also a vice president of, I believe, of Citi-Bank or Chase for years. Rest In Peace Herb and thanks for the memories.

Once again we have lost a popular singer from our time. Sad to say that Jack Scott passed away on December 12, 2019 at the age of 83. He gave Elvis a run for his money in the late 50's and early 50's with songs such as "Goodbye Baby", What In The World's Come Over You", "My True Love" to mention a few. Thanks for the memories and Rest In Peace Jack.

Thank you Charlie (memory master) for these updates of individuals who entertained many of us with their musical talent. As many of us know, it was such a different time then. American Bandstand, our high school dances, those fancy cars, and our favorite hangout was the place to be. All as we listened to our favorite songs play on our AM car radios.

This hit came out in 1961. They also did "Face of an Angel" in 1960 and "Shout" in 1962.

Today Joey Dee is 79 years old and is still performing in front of live audiences.

These days Joey Dee, lead singer of the Starlights, is still singing his famous hit "Peppermint Twist". Just as he did some 59 years ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=byljRwqTBzo

Last edited:
In 1961 this was a Big Hit for a group called: The Capris

Here the Capris perform that big hit from almost 60 years ago singing it to a live audience in September, 2019

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJI7j5vC2_U

Then we move ahead into the 1970s and a guy by the name of Eddie Holman sang these two hits. Eddie Holman is 73 years old and he recently sang these songs before a live audience in November, 2019.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXN17aSOUko

Last edited: