Tower Ladder 35

Tower Ladder 35 is switching to a 95’ Tower Ladder should take delivery in Winter
Will this be replacing a different company with a 95’ or an additional 95’ to the department? Definitely think the department should still have a few more...

Vision Zero and increasing levels of vehicle ownership make it ever tougher for 95 footers. Chief JK is right on, we need a lot more tillers.

I agree, the TDAs have been making a national come back with many cities i.e. Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC primarily using them. Of course the cost and size requirements in fire houses would be the main drawbacks.

It seem they are hardly interchangeable with towers in FDNY though, I mean realistically how often do you see them use ladder pipes.

Certainly a trade off, maneuverability versus tactical ability. That said getting to a job faster could reduce the need for defensive operations. But, realistically I doubt there will be any change in the future.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Another reading many departments are adding additional tillers is for the additional compartment space. That something that's not really necessary with how FDNY operates. They have many others specialized units that carry the additional required equipment for use when needed.

All SOC Support Ladders should be Tillers as they could carry more equipment with them all the time eliminating the delay when the Second Piece is back in Qtrs also they could negotiate any area of NYC a lot easier than a RM or TL.

Add on the fact that most LCC's would agree that aerial positioning is easier because the turntable is up front. And the jacks go down considerably faster and don't need as much room.

According to Seagrave, the 75' and 95' Aerialscope's have the same turning radius. Does anyone know what the difference in the overall length is?

My Dept. has several TDA's with duel axles on the tractor. Much better braking ability with duel tandems. Plus the compartment space and maneuverability is superior on a TDA.

According to Seagrave, the 75' and 95' Aerialscope's have the same turning radius. Does anyone know what the difference in the overall length is?
TL35 questioned that because they put a island outside and wasn’t sure if they would make it out of quarters since the 75 almost hits it

Wouldn't it be great to have a Tower Tiller (best of both worlds if it could be done)

Wouldn't it be great to have a Tower Tiller (best of both worlds if it could be done)
I've wondered more than once why there doesn't seem to be such a thing. Maybe the tillerman would have to be positioned higher to see over the bulkier tower and bucket, making it impractical?

The Sutphen corp. tried that many years ago with a one time prototype. It looked horrible! Never took off. I am going to Google search for any pics.

Wikipedia under ''Sutphen'' mentions the concept truck saying that the bucket doubled as the tiller cab. Never made it to production. No pics that I can find.