"Walker-Style" Firehouses Gone

Looking at the old photo of E-265/L-121's quarters repurposed got me wondering what "Walker-style" firehouses are no longer around, i.e. demolished.
Off the top of my head I can come up with E-10/L-15 and E-96.
I'm thinking there must be others.

Looking at the old photo of E-265/L-121's quarters repurposed got me wondering what "Walker-style" firehouses are no longer around, i.e. demolished.
E36?

Where was E96 before they moved into Story Ave. and was 54 Truck created for this or was it another second section renumbered. I don't remember

96 was on Bruckner Blvd around the corner.
E36 wasn't a Walker house.

E-17/L18 was.

Where was E96 before they moved into Story Ave. and was 54 Truck created for this or was it another second section renumbered. I don't remember
E96 Has an interesting history. It was organized in 1929 on the east side of what was then known as Eastern Blvd. It initially shared its Walker style fire house with L19, which had vacated its former quarters on Forest Avenue. They were assigned to the 18th Battalion.

By 1935 the Department realized that Classon Point and Soundview were still basically farmland and an airfield, and there was no need for a full-time aerial ladder in 96s quarters. L19 permanently relocated to E50. E96 reorganized as a combination company (though that was not an official designation by the Department) comprised of a pumper, hose wagon, and a City Service ladder truck. One officer on each tour of duty with an expanded crew.

In 1941, Eastern Boulevard was widened to resemble the Grand Concourse and Northern Boulevard in Queens, so the firehouse was moved back some 40 feet on its site. Quonset huts were then erected across Classon Point and Soundview during the war as a military training site. Post World War II they served as Veteran’s
housing.

That arrangement lasted until 1951, when the hose wagon and ladder truck were junked and E96 assigned one of the new Ward LaFrance Quads. To give you an idea what Soundview looked like in those days, most of the Quads went to Staten Island and outlying Queens. (After World War II and thru the 1950s my father was often detailed to E96 because he was both an engine officer in the 18th BN and his prior service years in Harlem L14.)

By the late 1950s, the Bronx began to heat up and the Quad concept was obsolete in the Borough. E96 received a regular pumper and operated as a single engine in the Walker house on the now renamed Bruckner Blvd.

By the mid 1960s, another two events further altered the situation. First came the increased workload in the South Bronx, and E96 was often dispatched down into the inferno that was Longwood, Tremont, and Morrisania. Then came the construction of the high-rise buildings that we all see today in the area. A ladder company was now needed. Due to the limited space on the Bruckner Boulevard service road and the deterioration of the building after its prior move, the Walker House was razed and new quarters built on Story Avenue to include the brand new Hook & Ladder Company 54.

The lot where E96 originally stood is still vacant, used as a parking lot for a local business,

Long answer to a short question.

Last edited:
A year before Ladder 19 was moved out of the South Bronx Ladder 32 was moved from Engine 50 north to Engine 62 then to Engine 97 and finally back to Engine 62. I wonder what the back story was why Ladder 19 was moved back down to Engine 50 and not Ladder 32 that was there before.

One additional note on E96. In his fantastic compilation of all the locations of New York City fire companies, Mike Boucher noted that The company occupied temporary quarters at 1752 Lafayette Avenue back in 1941 while the Walker house was physically moved back 40 feet. Photos from 1940 and today show that location to be a one storey taxpayer. I don’t know how they configured the company in that type building.

E96 Has an interesting history. It was organized in 1929 on the east side of what was then known as Eastern Blvd. It initially shared its Walker style fire house with L19, which had vacated its former quarters on Forest Avenue. They were assigned to the 18th Battalion.

By 1935 the Department realized that Classon Point and Soundview were still basically farmland and an airfield, and there was no need for a full-time aerial ladder in 96s quarters. L19 permanently relocated to E50. E96 reorganized as a combination company (though that was not an official designation by the Department) comprised of a pumper, hose wagon, and a City Service ladder truck. One officer on each tour of duty with an expanded crew.

In 1941, Eastern Boulevard was widened to resemble the Grand Concourse and Northern Boulevard in Queens, so the firehouse was moved back some 40 feet on its site. Quonset huts were then erected across Classon Point and Soundview during the war as a military training site. Post World War II they served as Veteran’s
housing.

That arrangement lasted until 1951, when the hose wagon and ladder truck were junked and E96 assigned one of the new Ward LaFrance Quads. To give you an idea what Soundview looked like in those days, most of the Quads went to Staten Island and outlying Queens. (After World War II and thru the 1950s my father was often detailed to E96 because he was both an engine officer in the 18th BN and his prior service years in Harlem L14.)

By the late 1950s, the Bronx began to heat up and the Quad concept was obsolete in the Borough. E96 received a regular pumper and operated as a single engine in the Walker house on Bruckner Blvd.

By the mid 1960s, another two events further altered the situation. First came the increased workload in the South Bronx, and E96 was often dispatched down into the inferno that was Longwood, Tremont, and Morrisania. Then came the construction of the high-rise buildings that we all see today in the area. A ladder company was now needed. Due to the limited space on the Bruckner Boulevard service road and the deterioration of the building after its prior move, the Walker House was razed and new quarters built on Story Avenue to include the brand new Hook & Ladder Company 54.

The lot where E96 originally stood is still vacant, used as a parking lot for a local business,

Some gr8 info.

A year before Ladder 19 was moved out of the South Bronx Ladder 32 was moved from Engine 50 north to Engine 62 then to Engine 97 and finally back to Engine 62. I wonder what the back story was why Ladder 19 was moved back down to Engine 50 and not Ladder 32 that was there before.
The backstory there it’s simply that L32 was needed at E62 while L19 was not needed at E96.

There were not enough apartment buildings in Soundview (or Pelham Gardens) to justify the presence of an aerial platform ladder, while E62s area (Norwood, Williamsbridge, Olinville) had loads of them.

Last edited:
That is/ or was the quarters of EMS Batt.52. It had also been the home FDNY Queens Boro Command at one point and also now EMS Haz-Tac unless things have changed. Way back when it was home to E272 & Ladder 129. The truck moved over to Union Street with E273 and the 52 Bn. came over to 272. On just a few Flushing boxes you would see a numerical assignment, ex. 4452 @ Main Street & Northern Blvd., E272, 273 & 274. Ladders 129 and 130. 4452 located right outside of Nedick's. There maybe one or two of you who do remember Nedicks, mmmm?

That is/ or was the quarters of EMS Batt.52. It had also been the home FDNY Queens Boro Command at one point and also now EMS Haz-Tac unless things have changed. Way back when it was home to E272 & Ladder 129. The truck moved over to Union Street with E273 and the 52 Bn. came over to 272. On just a few Flushing boxes you would see a numerical assignment, ex. 4452 @ Main Street & Northern Blvd., E272, 273 & 274. Ladders 129 and 130. 4452 located right outside of Nedick's. There maybe one or two of you who do remember Nedicks, mmmm?

I also remember Nedick's in Downtown Brooklyn.

housing.

By the late 1950s, the Bronx began to heat up and the Quad concept was obsolete in the Borough. E96 received a regular pumper and operated as a single engine in the Walker house on the now renamed Bruckner Blvd.

Appreciate the history. When I was young my father transferred into 54 when the house opened. I remember going there before 96 and 54 moved in so my dad could look around. I remember going a few times on payday so he could get his check and looking at all the numbers on the floor in chalk from one of the guys counting bells. I believe they had one of the first hose dryers on the job.

It still is the HazTac Battalion

The backstory there it’s simply that L32 was needed at E62 while L19 was not needed at E96.

There were not enough apartment buildings in Soundview (or Pelham Gardens) to justify the presence of an aerial platform ladder, while E62s area (Norwood, Williamsbridge, Olinville) had loads of them.
In 1928, Engine 62 was changed from a combination company to a regular engine company. Its ladder apparatus was assigned to the newly organized Ladder 51 quartered with reorganized Engine 38, which had been disbanded in Manhattan. Ladder 32 moved in with Engine 62. Two years later, Ladder 32 moved in with newly organized Engine 97. This lasted another two years, then Ladder 32 returned to Engine 62.

In 1929, Engine 96 was organized and Ladder 19 moved in from their Truck house on Forest Ave. In 1935, Engine 96 became a combination company and Ladder 19 returned to their original neighborhood, taking up residence with Engine 50.

Engine 96 remained a combination company until 1951 when they were assigned a quad, which they operated until 1957.

memorymaster ......i remember the Nedicks ....on the site now is a Kennedy Fried Chicken joint but 4452 is still there ....passed by it yesterday.