Water Tender(s)

The other day, Mack included this photo of a Ward LaFrance tanker (sorry, west coast folks; it had a TANK on it and didn't TEND anything). I wasn't aware that FDNY ever had anything like this (tanker/tender), but in the 50's it probably made sense on Staten Island. Does anyone know how many tankers/tenders FDNY had, when they entered service and when they were disbanded?

!.jpg

mack

Administrator
SI had many large brush fires as the population grew in the 1960s and the water supply system was inadequate. Few hydrants and unpaved streets were common. The Shops put pumps on these Ward LaFrance fuel trucks, and they supplied water to engine booster tanks and filled Indian Pumps at fires. They were eventually no longer needed as water supply systems improved and FDNY purchased 750 gal booster tank pumpers for Engines 159, 162, 164 and 166.

The volunteer company in my town here has a tanker (36). Its obviously newer although its a 1982 FMC 2500 gal and has a pump. I think the issue here is water supply more than brush fires.

One of the departments I was a member of in Texas had 3 tankers (one per station) which held 1500 gallons each. These were used primarily in areas that had no hydrants. On multiple alarm jobs we would set up a tanker shuttle operation complete with a dump tank from which the primary engine would draught its water. Most of the departments in our County maintained similar programs. Some even had larger capacity tankers. Being a city kid, this was an eye opener.

Many rural & suburban departments need tankers for both brush/forest fires and water issues. Carrollton, VA, just across the James River from my home runs this beast . . . 5,500 gallons of water, and a 1250 gpm pump:

!.jpg