What is Tactical Command

I noticed that on greater alarm fires and 10-60's, will see the tactical command truck assisgned. What is that and waht do they do? Also how many field com's are on duty and are they staffed by 1 or 2 men. Thank you. Nashville's command unit is on stand by at the dispatch center and one of the dispatchers(must be trained on it), will bring in to the scene when needed. Usually on second alrams and higher. Makes no sense, considering they have a sand truck staffed 24/7 for Haz-Mat at Sta 19. Sand 19! Thank you. really love this website and have turned many guys on to it in the Middle Tennessee are. Keep up the great work and stay safe.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
One Field Comm on duty with 2 Dispatchers and 1 Fire Lt.
Also two Mobile Command Centers with no staff and one Mobile Operations Center.

Command Tacital Unit is the Photo unit. New name and some new things.
Then can send live video back to HQ and show video at the command post.

What is the difference between the Mobile Command Center and the Mobile Operations Center? Would they both ever be ever required to operate at the same job? And if the field comm unit is on another run what other unit would respond in its place. It seems to be that NYC being as busy and big would make sense to have 2 Field Comm's up and running since most likely they can be on a job for a long duration.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The MCC's won't respond in place of the FCU.

MCC's are used for Communications at large incidents.  The ops center is used for planning, it's designed on an IMT model of planning.
Long duration incidents could get a MCC to replace the FCU as needed

It seems that the Field Comm unit is very busy. Have they ever considered on putting up two of them. I am amazed stillon how busy FDNY's special units are. We have a Collapse truck in Franklin ( If could ever figure out how to post pics would love to put them on this site ). Only been used 2 times in the year that I have been here. Once for the tornado on 2/5/08 in fairview,Tn. The other was for a wall collapse with no inj's. The truck is a large box truck, all marked up, with a rotating light bar and filled with lots of wood,2 jacks, some struts,generator, and a large tool box with hand tools. Nashville has all the USAR tractor trailers. Hardly ever used but they are down in Louisania now.

I saw the Mobile Comm. rig fly by my school today at 3PM, heading toward Williamsbrige Rd. (it was on E. Tremont ave. when I saw it) followed by the Special Ops. Command chief. Was anything goin on at that time? I would think it would be something in ordef for those units to be responding.

Don't know what it was, but I was listening to the Manhattan dispatcher, and heard (by feedback on the line) the Bronx dispatcher directing Collapse Rescue into a job in the Bronx.  It's funny . . . anybody else hear the Bronx/Staten Island dispatchers on the Manhattan frequency (I listen on thebravest.com)?

I listen primarily to Brooklyn, but when I do listen to Manhattan, I can also hear the Bronx in the background.  Might have something to do with having Citywide in with Manhattan.

Assuming it's not a technical glitch you can hear Citywide while Manhattan is transmitting because the speakers are right next to each other behind the mic. Here's the SI radio console (which is the same one in Manhattan):

image11a.jpg

If you listen to Queens, since Brooklyn is now in the CO with them, you can here them in the background.

eg: Queens phone alarm box ...(in background -Ladder 120 to Brooklyn) 4474 the address.....

Back up to Mr RDM258, regarding the question of a second Field Comm. Several years ago there were two Field Comm Units. Field Comm 1 and Field Comm 2. I believe FC #1 covered Manhatten and The Bronx. FC #2 covered Brooklyn, Queens, and Station Island (during that time called Richmond). I am not sure what firehouses they were kept in, but I believe FC #2 was closed during the 1970s budget crisis. Any Baby Boomers out there remember ??

Thank you for the answer. Does anyone ever see in the future, 2 field comm's up and running. Was just curious. If i am not mistaken City such as Chicago and Toronto and 3 to 4 command units. I have heard that Inidianapolis has one in each battalion. then again these cities send them on every working fire in there cities. Seems like FDNY runs there's kind of like Nashville. Only gets send on greater alarms and special incidents as needed. I believe Philly is the same way. Again,thanks.

Chicago has what they call a command van, there are 5 throught out the city (I THINK), they get sent on any working fire.

Chicago has 4 active Command vans. They respond on all working fires. They are: 2-7-1 @E42 downtown, 2-7-2 @E112 North side, 2-7-3@ E49 South side, 2-7-4@ E122 far south side. There is also 2-7-8 @O'Hare. Unit 2-7-9 was recently added to the fleet but not assigned to a firehouse.

V

VBLadder8Cpt

Va. Beach has a mobile command center that is operated by firefighters who drive it to multiple alarm fires when called. It is used by the command officers. We also have a mobile dispatch center that is placed into service in the event our 911 center goes down.