What is the cabin of a fire truck called

This is probably going to sound like a really dumb question but what is that part of a fire truck (or fire engine) called where the firefighters sit while heading out (or coming back from) a run? The chauffeur and fire officer sit in the front cab of the truck (or engine) but where do the firefighters sit? In the clip below the firefighters are jumping into the ________ of the truck (or engine).

Bulldog

Bulldog
I've always just heard it being called the "Cab" just like the front where the chauffeur and the officer sit. I don't see why you would call it anything else considering it is the same compartment.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Back in my time it was the Jump seat
You are showing your age, like me, back in the old days before the fancy enclosed cabins the seats were just open, no fall restraints or anything. I remember riding in them many times on an old Mack CF. Of course before that we just were on the tail boards!

Last edited:
"the back"
Would any of you say, as scoobyd suggested, the firemen jumped into the back of the truck (meaning the crew cab)? Also, if you were to put something into the back of a Ladder fire truck, where exactly would you be putting it? Or would you ever say something like "put it in the back of the truck" (meaning crew cab)?

Last edited:
As I remember, it was either "the back" or "the cab", not to be confused with "the phone booth". No one rode "the back step" on a truck, only on an engine.

Got it. Thanks. How about the following scenario:

Ladder Fireman Bill's 3-year-old son Mickey is visiting the firehouse. Fireman Bill wants to show him where he works including what the inside of his truck looks like. So Fireman Bill lifts little Mickey up and puts him into "the back of the truck". Everybody OK with the use of "the back of the truck" in this context? Perfectly natural or would you say it differently?