WHAT IS THIS? (Faces of NYC Firefighters)

Under the opening photo on the front page of this site (nycfire.net) there is a statement from Nicholas Truong (nimitro's blog) concerning his "Faces Of NYC FFs"....anybody know what it is about?......the statement QUOTE.. BECAUSE OF THE UNDUE INTERFERENCE OF A FIRE MARSHAL AT THIS EVENT, THE PROJECT "FACES OF THE NYC FIREFIGHTERS" IS NOW TERMINATED..UNQUOTE ?

68jk09 said:
Under the opening photo on the front page of this site (nycfire.net) there is a statement from Nicholas Truong (nimitro's blog) concerning his "Faces Of NYC FFs"....anybody know what it is about?......the statement QUOTE.. BECAUSE OF THE UNDUE INTERFERENCE OF A FIRE MARSHAL AT THIS EVENT, THE PROJECT "FACES OF THE NYC FIREFIGHTERS" IS NOW TERMINATED..UNQUOTE ?

Chief, I just noticed that statement myself under that photo of a Lt from Engine 97. I hope it doesn't mean that it is the end of taking pictures at the fire scene.

Wasn't something mentioned on here about taking photographs no longer allowed. Many photographers/buffs are not criminals and they shouldn't be treated as such. I hope I read into this wrong. I look forward to seeing the photos that are posted.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Photo rule is for onduty members, not members of the public/press.

truck4

Administrator
Very curious. Maybe he can reach out to one of us in a PM?

This has become a growing problem,  usually with LEO's telling people they can't photograph from a public location. There is a website "http://photographyisnotacrime.com/" which highlights such incidents. It makes for some interesting reading, especially the follow up stories.

mack

Administrator
Nicholas' other sites seem to be up.  His announcement is unusual.  Nicholas does good stuff.

truck4

Administrator
From his Facebook page:

"A MOLE WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT. I went to the 3-alarm fire in the Bronx this morning but I came back with only a few pictures. As I was taking shots of the brothers doing their job, this fire marshal (not a nice and professional like many fire marshals that I have met) told the cops to keep me a good block away because I am not with the FDNY. The two cops laugh off because they thought he was kidding. Why did this marshal have to act jealous and abused his authority? All he needed to do was to identify himself (he was in plain clothes and not wearing a badge) and ask me to take his picture. Many times in the past, NYPD has kept me behind yellow tape and I would not get upset because they were just doing their job but for a mole among my brothers to do this to me, it is very upsetting. In the end, many firefighters and their family missed out on many good photographs today just because of one selfish individual."

I'm a photographer, and i have run into this problem rarely, maybe becuase i shoot Staten Island and not many people seem to care, but when I do, its always NYPD telling me to back up for "Safety reasons"...not knowing that I knwo exactly what i'm doing, where i'm going and where not to step. Most everyone on the job either knows me or gets to know me and lets me get my shot so long as I don't interfere with operations...which I don't. Some cops have even asked for their shot to be taken.

I'd also like to add that is COMPLETELY Legal to take pictures pretty much anywhere, especially on a public street.

truck4

Administrator
"Knowing exactly what you're doing" doesn't give you special permission at fire scenes.

Wearing a blue fire department t-shirt doesn't give you special permission at fire scenes.

I agree it is 100% legal to take photos on a public street and from behind the fire lines.

You know what works 99% of the time? Being respectful. The courtesy you're extended at an emergency scene as a civilian photographer is not mandatory. I don't mean to sound curt and by no way am accusing anyone here of being less than respectful. Just a reality check. 

do not terminate this posting. My wife Jo likes to see the real job, humping a line, making up, bedding the hose. One bad ass apple will be found out and his life will become miserable. To quote Ben Hur, as it shall be written, let it be done. Need the good work, fuk him!

truck4 said:
"Knowing exactly what you're doing" doesn't give you special permission at fire scenes.

Wearing a blue fire department t-shirt doesn't give you special permission at fire scenes.

I agree it is 100% legal to take photos on a public street and from behind the fire lines.

You know what works 99% of the time? Being respectful. The courtesy you're extended at an emergency scene as a civilian photographer is not mandatory. I don't mean to sound curt and by no way am accusing anyone here of being less than respectful. Just a reality check.

I shoulda said that too. I always act respectful and make it my mantra to never become a part of a call or a reason to annoy. Someone tells me to move back, I move back...while I might know my way around a scene I am a Photographer, not a Firefighter, cop or medic...therefore I always defer to a professional.

Even though I've been doing this for 20+ years I will, and all photographers should ALWAYS respect authority. 99% of the authority figures are not there to give photographers a hard time, they are looking out for theirs and others safety.