Who remembers the old Ring Saw

Prior to the widespread adoption of the K-12 saw, many departments used a ring saw for cutting roofs, steel doors and etc. the blade was an open , I’m guessing 20” diameter that was driven by a clutch. It was bulky, came in a huge orange metal box that took up tremendous compartment space and clumsy to operate. Due to the clutch drive nature, the tar from roofs would often become a problem In allowing the saw to operate efficiently. Attached is a photo of the Buffalo NY FD in what appears to be the early to mid 70’s. Second from right , the fireman is displaying a ring saw. Credit to unknown photographer. C561C690-43AF-49C6-9AE6-2564657EA3C0.jpeg

The Ring Saw is still carried by many Rescue's and USAR Teams for concrete cutting.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I used 1 of those many times back in the day, and you certainly right about them clicking up with tar from roofs. Didn't realize that the USAR teams carry them!

At first I thought you were referring to the ring cutter.
A woman walked into the firehouse a little after 0900 asking for help to remove her ring. We said we could,
but it was possible we'd have to cut it off.
She said didn't mind until she heard the partner saw start up.

When I was a teenager, my mother broke her wrist at a fire scene. Her whole lower arm and hand swelled up like a balloon, and her wedding ring cut off the circulation to her ring finger. The EMS guys took care of her, and cut her wedding ring off with a small gadget that cut the ring when they turned a thumbscrew. I'm sure that 90% of you know exactly what I'm talking about, but I was surprised to find out today that they're available on Amazon for just twenty bucks. Amazing.
11.jpg

When I was a teenager, my mother broke her wrist at a fire scene. Her whole lower arm and hand swelled up like a balloon, and her wedding ring cut off the circulation to her ring finger. The EMS guys took care of her, and cut her wedding ring off with a small gadget that cut the ring when they turned a thumbscrew. I'm sure that 90% of you know exactly what I'm talking about, but I was surprised to find out today that they're available on Amazon for just twenty bucks. Amazing.
View attachment 34569
With how hard modern rings are we usually have to resort to more modern Dremel type saws

Last edited:
View attachment 34569
I work in Ma, OEMS still requires these on ambulances.