Yonkers, NY- General Alarm 12-25-21

truck4

Administrator
Date: 12-25-21
Time: 2304hrs
Description: Fire throughout a 4-story OMD with extension to exposures.

2304hrs- Two calls reporting fire. Yonkers 911 can see fire from the roof on the city cameras and now numerous calls.
E-304, 303, 306, 308, Squad 11; L74, 71, R-1, B-1

2305hrs- L-72FAST, B-2 SAFETY added to the box.

2308hrs- E304/L74 on location with fire from roof of a 4-story ordinary, 10-29 (Working Fire)

2309hrs- B-1 transmitting 10-30 (All-Hands) E-304 hitting hydrant at Post X Elliot and stretching in, advise L71 to enter from Morris.

2313hrs- B-2 transmitting 2nd Alarm
E307, 309; L-75

2320hrs- 3rd Precinct units evacuating exposures.

2326hrs- B-1 transmitting 3rd Alarm
3rd Alarm: E-312, 313; L73.

2328hrs- B-1 req E312 to bring water from Broadway X Post. M/A Engine and Truck to cover.

2335hrs- Fire on all floors in the rear of the building.

2339hrs- YPD ESU responding with the METU.

2346hrs- 4th Alarm transmitted.
4th Alarm: E310, L-70

2355hrs- Car 3 req. E310, L70 to 78 Hamilton Ave (Exposure #3)

2349hrs- B-1 conducting PAR

2356hrs- M/A Mount Vernon E4, Eastchester TL-17 to Sta. 3

0008hrs- Hartsdale E170 in the city.

0011hrs- Car 3 req. E310, L70 to check for extension on Hamilton Ave

0013hrs- Car 3 rpts 81 Elliot Ave is heavily involved in fire. (2) L/S into Exposure #2. Exposure #3 (Hamilton Ave), 30-foot separation with multiple lines working in the rear. (1) Ladder Pipe (L-74), (1) Tower Ladder (L-71) and (7) LSO. Primary (-) in original fire building.

0025hrs- Car S/C E314 to scene (General Alarm).

0110hrs- CMD rts shutting down all lines to let building drain.

0206hrs- CMD rpts ladder pipe in operation, (1) line from roof of Exposure #4. (2) LSO in rear. Fire under control.

0230hrs- E316 and L78 to the scene (recall manpower).

0300hrs- E317 and L81 (recall manpower) to scene.

Last edited:
Date: 12-25-21
Time: 2304hrs
Description: Fire throughout a 4-story OMD with extension to exposures.

2304hrs- Two calls reporting fire. Yonkers 911 can see fire from the roof on the city cameras and now numerous calls.
E-304, 303, 306, 308, Squad 11; R-1, B-1

2307hrs- L72 assigned as FAST, B2 enroute SAFETY

2308hrs- E304/L74 on location with fire from roof of a 4-story ordinary, 10-29 (Working Fire)

2313hrs- B-2 transmitting 2nd Alarm
E307, 309; L-75

2320hrs- 3rd Precinct units evacuating exposures.

2326hrs- B-1 transmitting 3rd Alarm
3rd Alarm: E-312, 313; L73.

2328hrs- B-1 req E312 to bring water from Broadway X Post. M/A Engine and Truck to cover.

2335hrs- Fire on all floors in the rear of the building.

2339hrs- YPD ESU responding with the METU.

2346hrs- 4th Alarm transmitted.
4th Alarm: E310, L-70

2355hrs- Car 3 req. E310, L70 to 78 Hamilton Ave (Exposure #3)

2349hrs- B-1 conducting PAR

2356hrs- M/A Mount Vernon E4, Eastchester TL-17 to Sta. 3

0008hrs- Hartsdale E170 in the city.

0011hrs- Car 3 req. E310, L70 to check for extension on Hamilton Ave

0013hrs- Car 3 rpts 81 Elliot Ave is heavily involved in fire. (2) L/S into Exposure #2. Exposure #3 (Hamilton Ave), 30-foot separation with multiple lines working in the rear. (1) Ladder Pipe (L-74), (1) Tower Ladder (L-71) and (7) LSO. Primary (-) in original fire building.

0025hrs- Car S/C E314 to scene (General Alarm).

0110hrs- CMD rts shutting down all lines to let building drain.
Truck 4 - Great rundown, as usual. I am not being critical, but you didn’t put the first alarm ladders in there. From reading along it sounds like L71 & L74 we’re the first alarm ladders. So… from what I can tell they had all 10 engines, all 6 ladders, squad, rescue and both battalions on the scene, along with staff chiefs. According to Wikipedia, that should have been the whole on-duty shift at the scene. Is that when they call it a General Alarm?

Also, I know they try to recall off-duty members to staff apparatus. Is anyone aware if mutual aid for coverage is automatic? Example: on a 3rd they get 3E/2L into the city and on a 4th it’s 2E/2L.

I don’t know when the last time the on-duty staff couldn’t handle a fire and mutual aid went to the scene?

truck4

Administrator
Truck 4 - Great rundown, as usual. I am not being critical, but you didn’t put the first alarm ladders in there. From reading along it sounds like L71 & L74 we’re the first alarm ladders. So… from what I can tell they had all 10 engines, all 6 ladders, squad, rescue and both battalions on the scene, along with staff chiefs. According to Wikipedia, that should have been the whole on-duty shift at the scene. Is that when they call it a General Alarm?

Also, I know they try to recall off-duty members to staff apparatus. Is anyone aware if mutual aid for coverage is automatic? Example: on a 3rd they get 3E/2L into the city and on a 4th it’s 2E/2L.

I don’t know when the last time the on-duty staff couldn’t handle a fire and mutual aid went to the scene?

When posting at 2AM..... ;)

The chiefs designated it a General Alarm once 14 went to the job. Last Engine and Truck in city used to be a 5th, but run cards have been changed. Most recently, Squad 11 goes on all reported structure fires not just confirmed anymore. Then on a 10-30, they get a FAST truck and engine for Safety. So a full 10-30 is about an old school 2nd alarm- generally speaking. Loading up earlier takes away the companies on later alarms.

They were able to staff units with recall manpower. L-78 wen tin service at Station 1, then sent to the scene with a recall engine. I'll get the rest in a few...

When there is a job, a boss is recalled to respond to Fire Control and supervise the FD dispatchers (One is typically assigned there during the day tour during the week and is recalled after hours). They typically make the call on mutual aid if the chief at scene does not. It was automatic at one time, I have to see if it still is as far as by alarm.

Last time mutual aid to a job (trivia!): May of this year on Maple St. Engine and Truck,

Last edited:
When posting at 2AM..... ;)

The chiefs designated it a General Alarm once 14 went to the job. Last Engine and Truck in city used to be a 5th, but run cards have been changed. Most recently, Squad 11 goes on all reported structure fires not just confirmed anymore. Then on a 10-30, they get a FAST truck and engine for Safety. So a full 10-30 is about an old school 2nd alarm- generally speaking. Loading up earlier takes away the companies on later alarms.

They were able to staff units with recall manpower. L-78 wen tin service at Station 1, then sent to the scene with a recall engine. I'll get the rest in a few...

When there is a job, a boss is recalled to respond to Fire Control and supervise the FD dispatchers (One is typically assigned there during the day tour during the week and is recalled after hours). They typically make the call on mutual aid if the chief at scene does not. It was automatic at one time, I have to see if it still is as far as by alarm.

Last time mutual aid to a job (trivia!): May of this year on Maple St. Engine and Truck,
All good stuff!

I like the way Yonkers operates from an outsiders point of view. They certainly hit it hard on a 10-30. Assuming 4 per piece, 5E, 3L, Squad & Rescue, that’s 40 guys not including the BC’s and their aids.

Highway boxes will get response from both departments and there are interagency drills but no formal assignment for mutual aid, I believe it’s still has to be requested by Yonkers and approved by staff chief or city wide tour commander. There is a location that is a city address with 52/52 responding and since they have to go into Yonkers to access the location Yonkers also sends an assignment

I believe Yonkers gets 1 Engine from Greenville & 1 Ladder from Eastchester to Station 3 and 1 & 1 form New Rochelle to Station 12 on a 3rd Alarm. A 4th Alarm brings in 1 Engine from Hartsdale to Station 14, 1 Ladder from Fairview (not sure of the location) and 1 & 1 from Mount Vernon to Station 13. Not always the case but that seems to be the protocol. It also depends on if the M/A departments are able to send their normal assignment.

When the county plan is exhausted.
That is exactly right. The State Fire Mobilization Plan is designed to provide mutual aid to counties when the county's resources are exhausted or stretched thin. That's not to say that in some parts of the state, 2 counties won't coordinate responses regulary, especially when the travel distances are far. Another situation where you may see multiple counties involved is where there are no hydrants and multiple tankers are needed to set up a water shuttle.

As far as FDNY and abutting counties (Westchester & Nassau) and abutting state (New Jersey) most of the time they all "stay in their own lanes". That's not to say FDNY wouldn't provide mutual aid (and they do) f needed and the surrounding jurisdictions wouldn't provide mutual aid to New York City, but it's the exception rather than the rule. FDNY and surrounding communities work together regularly if it's a fire right on the city line and they show up together, but that's really a dual-response more than an official request for mutual aid.

Overall it works well, IMHO!

Thank you to all the members who have provided us with this mutual aid set up in Yonkers.

As "mac8146", I DO seem to remember an address in NYC in which 52/52 must travel through Yonkers to get to that address.

Also, awhile back I remember; due to a shortage of manpower, several companies in Mt Vernon would be closed and they could NOT send any mutual aid.
At times I think they might have operated with only two members on a rig.
In addition to that, many of the surrounding cities would NOT respond into Mt Vernon and as a result, I believe it forced Mt Vernon to hire more firefighters for basic coverage.

Let me add; "truck 4" I hope you are doing okay and please stay safe out there along with the members you work with. (Willy D).

That is exactly right. The State Fire Mobilization Plan is designed to provide mutual aid to counties when the county's resources are exhausted or stretched thin. That's not to say that in some parts of the state, 2 counties won't coordinate responses regulary, especially when the travel distances are far. Another situation where you may see multiple counties involved is where there are no hydrants and multiple tankers are needed to set up a water shuttle.

As far as FDNY and abutting counties (Westchester & Nassau) and abutting state (New Jersey) most of the time they all "stay in their own lanes". That's not to say FDNY wouldn't provide mutual aid (and they do) f needed and the surrounding jurisdictions wouldn't provide mutual aid to New York City, but it's the exception rather than the rule. FDNY and surrounding communities work together regularly if it's a fire right on the city line and they show up together, but that's really a dual-response more than an official request for mutual aid.

Overall it works well, IMHO!
I remember a few times being in a company that was on interchange to a border company we had boxes for a fire, smoke or pull box that the fire was actually in Yonkers because the caller or the pull box was in da Bronx so the call went to da Bronx dispatcher. Once Yonkers pulled up and had control we packed up and gave it an odor mark or outside rubbish mark. None of these calls in recall amounted to much but there are other incidents.

The address 600 Depeyster St. is the location that FDNY units respond into Yonkers. It’s located on northern end of Mount St. Vincent property which is NYC but road address is Yonkers. If I remember there are 3 group homes on this block that get the assignment 600A 600B and 600C.

Interesting info. For anyone with knowledge of the area, would Spencer Terrace off W263 Street be another NYC address that 52/52 would have to go into Yonkers to get to,

W263 on south side is NYC and north side is Yonkers, 52/52 responds into Spencer Terrace from Spencer Place again north side is Yonkers and south side is NYC. Some named streets are NYC for half of the block and then become Yonkers so border is really not defined and units from both departments respond depending on address given

And on the east side of the Bronx, units have to go through Pelham Manor to get to Park Drive and Elm Tree Lane. Pelham Manor Units are on location first working the fire.

And on the east side of the Bronx, units have to go through Pelham Manor to get to Park Drive and Elm Tree Lane. Pelham Manor Units are on location first working the fire.
Gotta be surreal for the 3-4 PMFD guys to come out for a bottle change and see 100 guys on the front lawn waiting to go in.