Z-IRON'S.

I have a tool list for rescue-1, there is a tool called Z-IRON'S can any one tell me what this is and what it would be and how this is used?

Z Irons were a pair of heavy pieces of steel bent in a "sort of " Z shape but with the ends on a 45 degree angle ..... if you had a situation where your hydraulic bottle jack could not fit into a small opening (like say a space case in a train incident as one example) you would place the pair of Z Irons in the small opening & put the bottle jack in the open end of the Z's & pump the jack & the spread would be transposed to the other lips of the Z's spreading the objective...thats just one example ...your imagination played a big part in their usefulness....we had a large & a small pair of them in R*2 & had them on the Rig until some newer power units basically eliminated the need & did the work more efficiently.....we did keep them as a backup until the Rig became super overloaded with newer equipment .....I remember an old WNYF article on them ...maybe someone can find & post that....one picture is worth a thousand words.

Z Irons were a pair of heavy pieces of steel bent in a "sort of " Z shape but with the ends on a 45 degree angle ..... if you had a situation where your hydraulic bottle jack could not fit into a small opening (like say a space case in a train incident as one example) you would place the pair of Z Irons in the small opening & put the bottle jack in the open end of the Z's & pump the jack & the spread would be transposed to the other lips of the Z's spreading the objective...thats just one example ...your imagination played a big part in their usefulness....we had a large & a small pair of them in R*2 & had them on the Rig until some newer power units basically eliminated the need & did the work more efficiently.....we did keep them as a backup until the Rig became super overloaded with newer equipment .....I remember an old WNYF article on them ...maybe someone can find & post that....one picture is worth a thousand words.
Chief, were they mainly replaced by airbags?

Article on use of "Z IRONS" with illustrations is in WNYF 1964-1, pages 20 and 21.

Partial illustration from that article attached.

Attachments

• WNYF 1964-1 Using Z IRONS illustrations.JPG
    WNYF 1964-1 Using Z IRONS illustrations.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 67
811 Thank You ....I knew you would be the source to rely on to get the article posted.