New Rescues in Production

FYI - New Rescue 4 was inservice for 3 hours and then it went back OOS..... something minor is all I am gonna say

Bulldog

Bulldog
All lemons...
That's Probably Why they kept the old ones fully equipped in quarters! They probably figured they were going to need spares on a regular basis. Too bad that there is underway in the purchasing system to consider past problems from a supplier.

If only they could bring back the Macks. The Toughest Fire Trucks I ever saw.

Two FDNY Tower Ladder Cos (maybe 14 and 113 - ?) after performing on the Battle Grounds of the FDNY War Years, were purchased by the City of Providence, RI, another very busy city for fire activity. With some rehab work done by their own shops, those War Year Battle Ships served that city about another ten years.

I know that Chelsea, Mass also purchased and put in service in that city another Mack Tower Ladder that had paid it's dues in the Battleground Streets of the FDNY during their very busy War Years

Another case, here in my own home town area, one of the local volunteer fire companies bought a FDNY War Years Mack Engine Co. I don't remember what company it originally served in but they sent it out to a commercial company to do the rehab work. It served that volunteer dept for about 8 years or so, then the department where I worked got it where it served another ten years or so as a Reserve Engine.

We put that Old Mack War Horse to work a few times and it NEVER failed us. In fact "I liked it better than the regular rig we had assigned to us". Of course it was a standard shift and some guys had never driven anything other than an automatic. I think it was a 1974/75 Mack and we had it well into the late 1990s.

Two FDNY Tower Ladder Cos (maybe 14 and 113 - ?) after performing on the Battle Grounds of the FDNY War Years, were purchased by the City of Providence, RI, another very busy city for fire activity. With some rehab work done by their own shops, those War Year Battle Ships served that city about another ten years.

I know that Chelsea, Mass also purchased and put in service in that city another Mack Tower Ladder that had paid it's dues in the Battleground Streets of the FDNY during their very busy War Years

Another case, here in my own home town area, one of the local volunteer fire companies bought a FDNY War Years Mack Engine Co. I don't remember what company it originally served in but they sent it out to a commercial company to do the rehab work. It served that volunteer dept for about 8 years or so, then the department where I worked got it where it served another ten years or so as a Reserve Engine.

We put that Old Mack War Horse to work a few times and it NEVER failed us. In fact "I liked it better than the regular rig we had assigned to us". Of course it was a standard shift and some guys had never driven anything other than an automatic. I think it was a 1974/75 Mack and we had it well into the late 1990s.

And then Renault bought Mack Trucks, Inc. Ever since that time, Macks have not been the product that they were before. There was a time when every other heavy duty truck you saw was a Mack. Yes, there were others; Brockway, Autocar, White, Diamond T, and, on the west coast, Freightliner. But today, Peterbilt, Freightliner and, to a lesser extent, International own the market for heavy duty trucks . . . with a Mack occasionally thrown in. I suppose it is another example of the truth of Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest.

My hometown department has a new Mack Granite, it's a lemon. That said I've been able to ride on some Mack CFs, great apparatus.

Willy, these young'ns don't know what double clutching is either!

Bulldog

Bulldog
The Mack C's and CF's were workhorses. They were the best!
They certainly were, unfortunately trucks like them are thing of the past, will probably never see trucks that rugged again. Between the requirements that ISO has put on them and all of the federal regulations the trucks now have so many bells and whistles and special devices something thing is bound to fail quite often!

Mind boggling to me that it has been over TWO YEARS since these trucks started being constructed and all 5 are still not delivered and/accepted.