10/15/20 Bronx 10-75 Box 6603

Another fire on the same street 2 years ago.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
This was a verbal to pelham manor firehouse.

Bronx boxes that start with 66xx are dual response PMFD /FDNY. About 50 houses covered by the 66xx boxes which can not be accessed by nyc streets without driving into Pelham Manor.

Each Department carries adapters with new adapters in the works as the private water company that covers the area is switching to modern hydrants.

Kids that live there even get to use pelham schools. Very interesting area, ladder 61 admin west of 95 and ladder 53 east of 95.

Some other odd facts.
Roosevelt av is east of i95, bronx houses and also another rsevelt av down off tremont.

One house uses pelham address on a pelham street but is in the bronx on another street. Starfire had to be modified to accept this address.

PMFD arrived first and operated 1st line. E66, L61, E38, L51 arrived at same time and operated per alarm assignment. FDNY units can only access area from Shore Rd or from Boston Road and Pelhamdale Ave. Both are considerable distances. And you have to travel far into Pelham to double back to these border streets. Fire building backyard abuts Split Rock GC.

If this fire building is east of I-95, would it be TL53 administrative area? I think the LT. mentioned that above? If so, it's technically off City Island! Interesting how TL53 is so restricted to staying on the island and into the park but has an admin area well off the island onto the mainland.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the stats on how many runs E70/L53 has done over the past year? Doesnt seem like there would be a lot of work on City Island for the 2 companies.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the stats on how many runs E70/L53 has done over the past year? Doesnt seem like there would be a lot of work on City Island for the 2 companies.
In 2019:
E-70: 405 runs, 235 were EMS. 4 were AH or higher.
TL-53: 179 runs, 5 were AH or higher.

If this fire building is east of I-95, would it be TL53 administrative area? I think the LT. mentioned that above? If so, it's technically off City Island! Interesting how TL53 is so restricted to staying on the island and into the park but has an admin area well off the island onto the mainland.
Administrative areas (Bldg Inspection / Hydrant Inspections/ Complaints) are different from Response Areas in many, many parts of the NYC....when i was the CPT of LAD*126 we did a lot of our BI in our Third Alarm Response Area.....many oddballs thruout the City..... an example BN*51 on Lefferts Blvd & 107 Ave being the Administrative BC at LAD*135s BI area at Rentar Plaza (large shopping Mall) on Metropolitan Ave West of 69 St....The 51 would not go to a Fire there "on a postcard"....thru the years new to the position Big Wig's have said they were going to re align the districts....i always told them at DV Conferences it will not work (unless several Line Companies & BNs changed FHs which would not happen ) ....some went ahead & researched it & quietly went onto another project !

Regardless of Runs a local Fire Company is always Insurance for the neighborhood regardless of what the rest of the City is doing.

Regardless of Runs a local Fire Company is always Insurance for the neighborhood regardless of what the rest of the City is doing.

Not arguing that fact at all. Just surprising they don't have a bigger coverage area.

^^^ No argument ... one of the issues with City Island & a very small few other areas is that if they increase the Response Area they are out of the picture from their dedicated Response Areas especially if it can only be accessed by one way like the City Island Bridge.

This was a verbal to pelham manor firehouse.

Bronx boxes that start with 66xx are dual response PMFD /FDNY. About 50 houses covered by the 66xx boxes which can not be accessed by nyc streets without driving into Pelham Manor.

Each Department carries adapters with new adapters in the works as the private water company that covers the area is switching to modern hydrants.

Kids that live there even get to use pelham schools. Very interesting area, ladder 61 admin west of 95 and ladder 53 east of 95.

Some other odd facts.
Roosevelt av is east of i95, bronx houses and also another rsevelt av down off tremont.

One house uses pelham address on a pelham street but is in the bronx on another street. Starfire had to be modified to accept this address.

Are the Bronx 660x boxes renumbered from the 450x boxes in those neighborhoods? (4507 now 6603 for example) Are they renumbered because of the dual department response? Are any other areas being renumbered for the same reason?

Administrative areas (Bldg Inspection / Hydrant Inspections/ Complaints) are different from Response Areas in many, many parts of the NYC....when i was the CPT of LAD*126 we did a lot of our BI in our Third Alarm Response Area.....many oddballs thruout the City..... an example BN*51 on Lefferts Blvd & 107 Ave being the Administrative BC at LAD*135s BI area at Rentar Plaza (large shopping Mall) on Metropolitan Ave West of 69 St....The 51 would not go to a Fire there "on a postcard"....thru the years new to the position Big Wig's have said they were going to re align the districts....i always told them at DV Conferences it will not work (unless several Line Companies & BNs changed FHs which would not happen ) ....some went ahead & researched it & quietly went onto another project !
Thanks Chief. Very interesting!

^^^ No argument ... one of the issues with City Island & a very small few other areas is that if they increase the Response Area they are out of the picture from their dedicated Response Areas especially if it can only be accessed by one way like the City Island Bridge.
Just think of E49 way back when the only access to Welfare Island (now Roosevelt Island) for second due and up units was the Queensboro Bridge.