WTC 9-11 RELATED INFO.

It was about this time of day 20 years ago when severe thunderstorms came through Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. Trees were down and roads flooded in Pa. and N.J.. Coming into NYC to go to work from Pa. had me alter my route and I took Rte. 3 down from I-80 to go to the Holland tunnel. At about 6:30 PM the skies cleared and the sun was shining. As I neared the Holland I observed the sun reflecting off of the "Twin Towers" under blue skies and thought what a beautiful photo that would make. Going home at 6 AM the day promised to be as beautiful. It was until 8:18 AM when our lives, our Country and many other things were horribly changed. I ask God to bless each and every person lost in various ways and places from this heinous act and to hold them eternally in his hand. May he continue to Bless their families and Bless this great United States Of America. May he Bless each and everyone of you who read this, but, Never Forget of Forgive what has been done to each and everyone of us!
9/10/01 is engrained in my mind as if was yesterday. I worked as paramedic in lower Manhattan on the 3-11 shift. I can remember every call and every patient. We were even dispatched to a call at the Marriott Marquis but canceled by a BLS unit prior to arriving. I remember the pouring rain in the late afternoon and evening and I remember how it cleared up and the streets dried and the night's weather turned perfect. Amazing how I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but I remember 9/10/01 so vividly.

May those lost that day and those we lose as a result of that day continue to Rest in Peace. May their families and friends find comfort. God love them all.

May all the people lost on 9/11 and after continue to Rest In Peace. I'm not a First Responder but to all the guys here who are, past and present God Bless and thank you.

We Remember

0759 American Airlines Flight 11 (Boeing 767 with 92 souls) departs Boston Logan enroute Los Angeles

0814 United Airlines Flight 175 (Boeing 767 with 65 souls) departs Boston Logan enroute Los Angeles

0814 Flight 11 hijacked

0820 American Airlines Flight 77 (Boeing 757 with 64 souls) departs Washington Dulles enroute Los Angeles

0842 United Airlines Flight 93 (Boeing 757 with 45 souls) departs Newark enroute San Francisco

0843 Flight 175 hijacked

0846 Flight 11 flies into #1 World Trade Center (North Tower)

0851 Flight 77 hijacked

0903 Flight 175 flies into #2 World Trade Center (South Tower)

0928 Flight 93 hijacked

0937 Flight 77 flies into The Pentagon

0959 #2 World Trade Center collapses, crushing #3 World Trade Center (Vista Hotel)

1003 Flight 93 crashes in Shanksville (hijackers foiled by passengers)

1723 #7 World Trade Center collapses

FDNY assigned 121 Engine Companies, 62 Ladder Companies, 5 Rescue Companies, 6 Squads, 4 Marine Units

66-55-8087
77-9031
77-33-1377
66-55-9998(8087)
66-22-50
99-33-7115-66-2033
77-33-320
88-33-8000
Mutual Aid from NY, NJ & CT

Pentagon Responses

Fort Myer FD
Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority FD
Arlington County FD
Alexandria FD
District of Columbia FD
Fairfax County FD
Prince Georges County FD
Montgomery County FD
Washington County FD
Coverage from Prince William & Loudoun Counties

Shanksville Responses

Shanksville FC
Stoystown FC
Friedens FD
Listie FC
Somerset FD
Hooversville FD
Central City FC
Berlin FC

*Unofficial summary researched from multiple sources, many with conflicting details

Article from NYCFireWire:
How the Fire Department of New York Changed After 9/11

I spent most of the day yesterday, September 11, 2021 watching the news coverage of the 20th Anniversary of 9/11.

As I looked back to that Horrible Day 20 years ago, the weather was bright and sunny in the NYC area, just as it was those 20 years ago.

Our country tuned in to hear on our news channels all the names of those being read who were killed on that day. The names included firefighters, police officers, EMS workers, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, from all walks of life. From young to old.

FDNY Chief Pfeifer was at a gas leak when the first tower was struck. Chief Pfeifer also lost a brother on that day. But he talked about some of the changes within the FDNY since that happen. I believe that was seen on CBS TV.

Also the story of Stephen Siller, who had just left FDNY Squad 1 and was on his home from work, got word of the attack and ran through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in full gear. Stephen was killed when he reached the towers. His story was also told by his brother and he told the kind of man he was, loving the job as an FDNY firefighter.

I have had the privilege of meeting Chief Pete Hayden (see above post by "Ala117") through a couple of retired FDNY members who were also on the job when the WTC was attacked. Chief Hayden is a GREAT GUY and had to be a GREAT CHIEF of DEPARTMENT to lead the largest fire dept in the country during it's most difficult time. Thankfully and HOPEFULLY, a time that No Fire Department will ever have to face again.

I also talked to a couple of good friends who are now Retired FDNY members and each was honoring the anniversary in their own way.
One was staying home with their family members. Another was going to join the members of the firehouse they once worked when this happened.

But whatever they decided to do, they all faced a huge loss of their Brother FDNY Members.

For me, prior to 9/11 I would attend classes offered at the FDNY Fire Academy given about once every three months. For a small fee the money collected would be donated to the NYC Burn Center. FDNY members would donate their time to teach various classes and what they passed onto me was a great amount of knowledge and experience. By far, they were the BEST Fire Dept classes I ever attended.

Among those FDNY members who donated their time was Battalion Chief Ray Downey and LT Andy Fredrick's, both who were lost on that September Day - 20 years ago.
I know how I felt when they were lost. Yet so many FDNY members lost so many more of their Brother Firefighters. Guys they spent a large part of their life with in the firehouse. They risked their lives together, had meals together, joked with each other, even spent time with family members together. A BROTHERHOOD that they all shared together.

Some have also felt or seen the effects of that World Trade Center Dust with so many more of their Brother Firefighters being a WTC victim.

Let me also add, a THANK YOU to Our Military Members, as well as all the civilians that helped a stranger that day.

I also remember how a country joined together with American Pride, as we all joined hands and prayed together. And I won't forget the National Prayer Service that was held at Yankee Stadium about two weeks after the attack on the WTC, the Pentagon, and the crash of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pa.

Also a thank you to "fdhistorian" here, who most of us know as "Iggy", for his timeline of events on Americas Worst Day.

We will NEVER Forget.

Tonight's episode of CBS 60 Minutes will feature conversations with FDNY Commissioner Dan Nigro and other FDNY members.

FDNY Firefighter turned movie star Steve Buscemi, talks of 9/11 on it's 20th Anniversary

Someone said; "Steve Buscemi was good at playing villains in movies". "But he was also good at being a hero in real life".

Everyone said "Never Forget 9/11".

Here's what he had to say.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmDztFWPTk

Absolute, disgusting and vile! These "suits" milking the operation on the backs of all those victims and sadly, future victims. How do you even live with yourselves? You should be ashamed!!!!!

As a museums worker that's money you either leave on the table or put right back into the donation jar after accepting.

Especially working at what's a sacred space museum.

I've long been amazed the site hasn't become state or federally protected like Flight 93.

Today is the birthday of Gerard Barbara, FDNY. He was born on March 17, 1948, and would have been 74 years old today. We will never forget the ultimate sacrifice that he made on September 11, 2001.
He loved the simple treasures, and the acts of courage that are anything but simple. He began his days with sunrises, and ended them with jogs at sunset in Clove Lakes Park. His loves were nature, opera, the Beatles and the Yankees. He built an artificial pond in his backyard, a loving family and a successful, honored career with the city Fire Department.
Assistant Deputy Chief Gerard A. Barbara was, by all accounts, a Renaissance man.
"He just wanted to experience everything there was," said his wife of 30 years, the former Joanne Lento. "As much as he could do in a day. We tried things, and we enjoyed them."
The longtime West Brighton resident was a citywide tour commander with the Fire Department, capping a 31-year career that began in Engine Co. 91-2 on 111th Street in Harlem. Along the way, he was the chief of the fire prevention and technical management units, trained in many fields, and was honored again and again.
He was named Man of the Year for 1999 by the Fire Department's Columbia Association, an Italian-American fraternal organization on whose board of directors he had served. In 1980, Chief Barbara was given the Pulaski Association Medal, a medal of honor.
"There were countless amounts of awards," said his son, Paul, 23, a second-year student at the St. George's School of Medicine in Grenada, West Indies. "He has so many medals and awards, and not all of them are from the Fire Department." Chief Barbara prided himself on fire prevention and making sure his comrades were safe on the job. Following a fire in December 1998 at a city-owned senior citizens complex in Starrett City, Brooklyn, which killed three firefighters, he was instrumental in lobbying for a new city law that required sprinkler systems in multiple-family buildings.
"My husband was a fireman, he always wanted to help the men who were on the job," said Mrs. Barbara, who works at Seaview Radiology. "That was his first concern. He felt that the men who go in and risk their lives should be safe doing it. They knew they were risking their lives every time they were going into a building, but he wanted to make it as safe as possible."
Chief Barbara was born in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn and moved to West Brighton in 1972.
He was an electrician in the Navy from 1968 to 1970, serving in the Mediterranean Sea on the aircraft carrier USS Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
He was a skilled craftsman and an expert in stained glass. Five years ago, Chief Barbara built a pond in the family's backyard that is stocked with Japanese koi. Nature -- especially this time of year, when the leaves are changing and the air is ripe for jogging -- was a passion rivaled only by his love for his job and the New York Yankees.
One of Chief Barbara's greatest thrills was being called to inspect Yankee Stadium after a 500-pound piece of concrete fell from the upper deck in April 1998. He sat at the desk of manager Joe Torre and hung out in his favorite team's dugout, and was photographed in all these places.
"I was so amazed at how important he was, that they let him look at the stadium," his son said.
And when the Staten Island Yankees opened their new park in St. George, with its breathtaking view of Lower Manhattan and the World Trade Center, it made him proud. "He loved that park, he loved that view," said his daughter, Caren, 25, an assistant treasurer at Commerzbank in the World Financial Center and a part-time student at New York University's Leonard N. Stern School of Business.
Chief Barbara was the kind of dad who brought the camera on every family outing, from their trips to Italy, London, Paris and Mexico, to their short outings. "He just got a camera he could set himself so he didn't have to ask someone to take the picture for us," his daughter said. "He was so excited about that. He kind of chuckled every time we posed for a picture."
On vacation, the Barbara family goes off the beaten path, experiencing the food and the customs of the places they visit to "see how the people there live," his wife said. On a recent trip to Las Vegas, they went whitewater rafting in the Colorado River.
"He didn't just want to go to do the regular tourist thing," his daughter said. Chief Barbara has been described by his family and co-workers as a thinker, a calm and collected supervisor who thrived in situations like the World Trade Center tragedy. His experience and leadership made him an obvious choice to lead the rescue effort inside Tower 2, a duty assigned to him by Chief of Department Peter Ganci Jr. in the minutes after the attack.
"Jerry Barbara, both professionally and personally, was one of the finest people I ever knew," said longtime friend Richard J. Sheirer, the director of the Mayor's Office of Emergency Management. "An absolute class act, a consummate professional whose word was his bond, whose knowledge was his craft.
"He was a guy you always enjoyed being with."
Staten Island Advance, 2001
#FDNY #Our911Bravest #September11 #NeverForget