News of Members

Great news Steve. Just in time to open her Christmas presents. Now just don't let her get as chubby as that buff!

fdce54 said:
Great news Steve. Just in time to open her Christmas presents. Now just don't let her get as chubby as that buff!

For many of us we've heard of Laurel and Hardy. Or how about Abbott and Costello. Well, I bet you never heard of "Chubby and Dummy". They are right here on this site. They also go by the names of NFD2004, aka Chubby. And "fdce54", aka Dummy. Chubby is self explanatory. Dummy is the guy who could be sitting home right now happily retired from his Con Ed job after 41 years. Watching TV reruns of "I Love Lucy", while tipping his nice warm cup of hot cocco, or maybe something a little stronger. Instead he will be spending several very long cold winter nights in the streets of Westerchester County, with much worse yet to come. Hence we now have "Chubby and Dummy".

mack

Administrator
Great Steve!  Glad your family will be together with a beautiful baby girl for the holidays. 

It will be a great Christmas around the house with our little bundle of joy home! CFD Marshal, the spoiling has already begun!  She is gaining weight, so we have had to cut back on her daily Big Mac supplements in her formula so she does not become a chubby little buff! ;D

fltpara16 said:
It will be a great Christmas around the house with our little bundle of joy home! CFD Marshal, the spoiling has already begun!  She is gaining weight, so we have had to cut back on her daily Big Mac supplements in her formula so she does not become a chubby little buff! ;D

Steve, that is really GREAT NEWS. The prayers were answered and she's home. This will sure be a Great Christmas for you and your family. I think everybody that knows you was very concerned. Great to hear that you are cutting back on those Big Mac supplements too. "I just wish I could cut back".

Thank you for giving us the Great News.

This morning, just as I do every morning, I go on this site to read about the jobs of the FDNY, new rigs, firehouses, our military, and sometimes the sad news of another War Years Vet passing on. Then every once in awhile, I'll look back at a few of these post and read what was written earlier. Being an old retired fart now, I guess that's considered a form of entertainment for me.

So I just took a look back here and read some of what has been said in "NEWS OF MEMBERS" of this site. From new daddy's to new grandpas, and Happy Birthdays too. But what I also noticed was that just about every post here EXCLUDED our YOUNGER MEMBERS. 

I do have one younger friend who is really a GREAT GUY. His user name here is "fdny1075k". I've told him in the past that "he is a credit to his generation". Emmett M., is a fulltime student at Iona College. He recently moved to New Rochelle and he hopes to maybe become a fulltime Firefighter. I met him a few years ago while he was living in Connecticut and a member of a very busy Volunteer Fire Department. I have always noticed that he is very respectful of his elders and sometimes we know that might be tough to find these days. He very often provides us with rundowns of jobs from the New York area and Connecticut. He has always offered me his help if I need it, like posting pictures here etc. Thanks Emmett.

Emmett, "fdny1075k" isn't the only one. Although I really don't know them, I assume they too are also younger guys because it says; "Future FDNY". Guys like "Firstdue", "FDNY793727", "FDNYSTATIONISLAND", all have that in their profiles. I could be wrong, but "firephish", may also be a younger member. These members readily offer rundowns for many of the FDNY or area jobs. I would like to "THANK THEM" for taking the time to do that for us. Usually, every morning, I go on here to get my "morning fix" along with a hot coffee or two. Just let me say, not to take anything away from that Old Guy, aka "mikeindabronx", "you guys do a great job". Thanks very much for what you do and I certainly wish all of you the best of luck in becoming a career firefighter in the FDNY or anyplace else for that matter. I think as a buff, retired firefighter from a small Connecticut city, but most important an old fart like my buddy Mike D., "mikeindabronx", it's nice to know that there's young guys out there today like you.

I know in the past, Emmett, "fdny1075k", has mentioned about organizing a FDNY Get Together for the younger guys. Maybe spring break or summer vacation. I'm sure there's a few guys on here that would be willing to help you with that. Most of our Get Together's have taken place in October while you were in school and you couldn't make it. Maybe a few of us can work on that together.

In order for a few of us to get to know you a little better, if you get a chance, why don't you tell us about yourself. Just your first name and last initial is fine. What do you do, do you go to school, work ? Where are you from and how did you get interested in the fire department etc. ? Whatever you want to tell us, is up to you. If you're an honor student, well I normally wouldn't say this, "but here's your chance to brag".

Thanks again for your input into this site.

Willy D,  thank you for the post.

To quickly introduce myself, my name is Nick F. As you have guessed, I am younger haha. I attend St. Francis College in Brooklyn Heights. - also a full time student. I do live in SI, haha in case anyone was wondering  ;). Actually just received my grades for this past semester, as it ended last week, and honestly pretty happy with them. 4 A's and a C+ (in Math).

The one thing I wanna do in life is become an FDNY firefighter. My grandfather and father were on the job so I guess you can say the job was always apart of my life somehow. Seeing what these guys do day in and day out really made me wanna pursue it. Like most of us, I have adopted certain "favorite" companies all throughout the city, and I have a small list of houses I think it would be awesome to work in. Posting about jobs and rundowns on here just helps me learn more about it, its also a place to talk about it all with others with the same interest. I actually just missed the last test that came out in 2012 I think because I was 6 months too young to take it, so you better believe the next exam I will be taking. The more I see updates on all jobs in the city, the more it makes me want to do this. Following a few alerts accounts on FB and Twitter, I see almost, if not all the jobs that occur in the 5 boroughs - at any time. The one thing that amazes me about that is the fact that the average person wouldn't even guess how many fires alone occur in this city on a daily basis. We know though, as we post about them here - whether its only alittle info that we have or its the full rundown because we heard it on the scanner - info is info. It empowers and teaches.

I think that being on a site like this and being so into the job itself at a young age would only make the job better when I get on. I enjoy posting info that I have come across or heard. Most of the rundowns - actually all of them are guesses. I know a majority of the areas in this city so usually the rundowns would be correct. But often as well they are not - as you all know, no rundown and company coverage area is an exact science. I usually check the site many times a day since its so easy to access on my phone.

Thats really it, that's FDNYSTATENISLAND - FDNYSI. Thanks again Willy D for acknowledging and being interested into hearing more. I know I'm not the only young one on the site - Im sure we all have a lot in common.

*P.S: I enjoy posting pictures of the incidents and of rigs onto here. Most of the time every pic I post of a job, I have seen on another social network - I screenshot it and post it here first thing* Occasionally AuxWarsYearsCapt. will ask me to post pics of new KME rigs from another site he co-runs on FB and I have no problem in doing so.

Also, I do enjoy reading the stories of others on here, most of the time about the dept. back in the day. All very cool stuff to only read about. I find it interesting that different areas of the city usually are busier than others, and have been for decades - but you can't count those slower areas out. It is still the City of New York and the FDNY: any area is busier than 90% of this country. When a company that is in a usually slower area catches work, steady work @ that - i'll acknowledge it on here. Please don't confuse that as me wanting fires to occur. I just find it cool when all companies in the city catch work, whether it's SI, City Island, Breezy, BK HTS, Brownsville, Bed-Stuy, Borough Park, Harlem, the BX, Coney, Jackson HTS, Jamaica or the Financial District. Every borough sees its fair share of work. Some areas more than others.

Nick (FDNYSTATENISLAND) thanks for your rundown. I will say that having done my 1st Get Together last Oct and being 30 (thats still a young age right guys?) "The Old Fart Get Togethers" are great.

Not only are they great guys but what you would learn listening to these guys is 2nd to none and something you'd never get in a txtbook. Really looking forward to next yrs already

Dec

nfd2004 said:
This morning, just as I do every morning, I go on this site to read about the jobs of the FDNY, new rigs, firehouses, our military, and sometimes the sad news of another War Years Vet passing on. Then every once in awhile, I'll look back at a few of these post and read what was written earlier. Being an old retired fart now, I guess that's considered a form of entertainment for me.

So I just took a look back here and read some of what has been said in "NEWS OF MEMBERS" of this site. From new daddy's to new grandpas, and Happy Birthdays too. But what I also noticed was that just about every post here EXCLUDED our YOUNGER MEMBERS. 

I do have one younger friend who is really a GREAT GUY. His user name here is "fdny1075k". I've told him in the past that "he is a credit to his generation". Emmett M., is a fulltime student at Iona College. He recently moved to New Rochelle and he hopes to maybe become a fulltime Firefighter. I met him a few years ago while he was living in Connecticut and a member of a very busy Volunteer Fire Department. I have always noticed that he is very respectful of his elders and sometimes we know that might be tough to find these days. He very often provides us with rundowns of jobs from the New York area and Connecticut. He has always offered me his help if I need it, like posting pictures here etc. Thanks Emmett.

Emmett, "fdny1075k" isn't the only one. Although I really don't know them, I assume they too are also younger guys because it says; "Future FDNY". Guys like "Firstdue", "FDNY793727", "FDNYSTATIONISLAND", all have that in their profiles. I could be wrong, but "firephish", may also be a younger member. These members readily offer rundowns for many of the FDNY or area jobs. I would like to "THANK THEM" for taking the time to do that for us. Usually, every morning, I go on here to get my "morning fix" along with a hot coffee or two. Just let me say, not to take anything away from that Old Guy, aka "mikeindabronx", "you guys do a great job". Thanks very much for what you do and I certainly wish all of you the best of luck in becoming a career firefighter in the FDNY or anyplace else for that matter. I think as a buff, retired firefighter from a small Connecticut city, but most important an old fart like my buddy Mike D., "mikeindabronx", it's nice to know that there's young guys out there today like you.

I know in the past, Emmett, "fdny1075k", has mentioned about organizing a FDNY Get Together for the younger guys. Maybe spring break or summer vacation. I'm sure there's a few guys on here that would be willing to help you with that. Most of our Get Together's have taken place in October while you were in school and you couldn't make it. Maybe a few of us can work on that together.

In order for a few of us to get to know you a little better, if you get a chance, why don't you tell us about yourself. Just your first name and last initial is fine. What do you do, do you go to school, work ? Where are you from and how did you get interested in the fire department etc. ? Whatever you want to tell us, is up to you. If you're an honor student, well I normally wouldn't say this, "but here's your chance to brag".

Thanks again for your input into this site.
Uncle Wilfred, I thought I was your "YOUNGER" friend who is a great guy ;D ;D ;D

Frank, you're a great guy BUT you're not really my YOUNGER friend. I guess the best way to say it is "you're an OLD friend".

And speaking of younger friends how about that guy "Irish" we know. Come all the way from Ireland just to see us. There wasn't one of us under 50 and most likely well over that. Maybe the most Reverend CFD was the youngest. And what's he up to 55 or so ?

But any guy that would ride in a plane across the big pond, just to see us, has got to be our friend. Most people wouldn't walk across the street to see any one of us. So we got to hang on to him.

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Willy D,  thank you for the post.

To quickly introduce myself, my name is Nick F. As you have guessed, I am younger haha. I attend St. Francis College in Brooklyn Heights. - also a full time student. I do live in SI, haha in case anyone was wondering  ;). Actually just received my grades for this past semester, as it ended last week, and honestly pretty happy with them. 4 A's and a C+ (in Math).

The one thing I wanna do in life is become an FDNY firefighter. My grandfather and father were on the job so I guess you can say the job was always apart of my life somehow. Seeing what these guys do day in and day out really made me wanna pursue it. Like most of us, I have adopted certain "favorite" companies all throughout the city, and I have a small list of houses I think it would be awesome to work in. Posting about jobs and rundowns on here just helps me learn more about it, its also a place to talk about it all with others with the same interest. I actually just missed the last test that came out in 2012 I think because I was 6 months too young to take it, so you better believe the next exam I will be taking. The more I see updates on all jobs in the city, the more it makes me want to do this. Following a few alerts accounts on FB and Twitter, I see almost, if not all the jobs that occur in the 5 boroughs - at any time. The one thing that amazes me about that is the fact that the average person wouldn't even guess how many fires alone occur in this city on a daily basis. We know though, as we post about them here - whether its only alittle info that we have or its the full rundown because we heard it on the scanner - info is info. It empowers and teaches.

I think that being on a site like this and being so into the job itself at a young age would only make the job better when I get on. I enjoy posting info that I have come across or heard. Most of the rundowns - actually all of them are guesses. I know a majority of the areas in this city so usually the rundowns would be correct. But often as well they are not - as you all know, no rundown and company coverage area is an exact science. I usually check the site many times a day since its so easy to access on my phone.

Thats really it, that's FDNYSTATENISLAND - FDNYSI. Thanks again Willy D for acknowledging and being interested into hearing more. I know I'm not the only young one on the site - Im sure we all have a lot in common.

*P.S: I enjoy posting pictures of the incidents and of rigs onto here. Most of the time every pic I post of a job, I have seen on another social network - I screenshot it and post it here first thing* Occasionally AuxWarsYearsCapt. will ask me to post pics of new KME rigs from another site he co-runs on FB and I have no problem in doing so.

Also, I do enjoy reading the stories of others on here, most of the time about the dept. back in the day. All very cool stuff to only read about. I find it interesting that different areas of the city usually are busier than others, and have been for decades - but you can't count those slower areas out. It is still the City of New York and the FDNY: any area is busier than 90% of this country. When a company that is in a usually slower area catches work, steady work @ that - i'll acknowledge it on here. Please don't confuse that as me wanting fires to occur. I just find it cool when all companies in the city catch work, whether it's SI, City Island, Breezy, BK HTS, Brownsville, Bed-Stuy, Borough Park, Harlem, the BX, Coney, Jackson HTS, Jamaica or the Financial District. Every borough sees its fair share of work. Some areas more than others.

Thanks Nick. Your story here is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I hope our other younger members will do the same.

First of all, congratulations on your school accomplishments. That's pretty impressive to say the least. Nobody is perfect and you know there is always room for improvement. But you do your best and as I see it, "you will be on your way to accomplish your goals in life". Good thing you didn't ask me to post my grades. Believe me, "they were nothing like that". In comparison, I guess you could say "I got lucky". In my opinion, it's much tougher today to be able to do what some of us did. So keep at it. You sound like you have a lot going for you.

A few of us from this site met "AuxWarYearsCapt" just the other day. He spoke very highly of you. In fact, that was before your story was posted here and most of us had no idea who you were.

Good luck Nick. It's nice to know that we have younger guys out there like yourself and "fdny1075K", who I (along with many others here), have very high hopes for.

Three Retired FDNY Members. Three are members of this site. All three share some interesting facts together.

Two of the Three attended the same Probie School Class together.

Two of the Three worked together at Engine 41 (then referred to Enhanced Engine 41 for their additional duties) before it became Squad 41.

Two of the Three worked together in the very busy former firehouse on Jerome Ave (Bronx) of Engine 75/Ladder 33.

Two of the Three had fathers who worked the FDNY.

Two of the Three have sons who are now firefighters.

Two of the Three are Viet Nam War Veterans.

Mention anyone of these individuals and you would find that each one is highly respected for the job they've done. They have paid they're dues, no doubt about that. They loved what they did. They have worked some of the busiest companies throughout the city during some of the busiest years in the history of the FDNY. They worked the very tragic and difficult days of September 11, 2001.

I am talking about three site members that we know as "Jbendick", "68JK09", and "69Mets". All three highly respected Retired Members of the FDNY. Role Models to any future members of ANY Fire Department.

"Jbendick", John B., is a retired FDNY Captain. He attended Probie School with site member "68JK09" in 1968, as the FDNY War Years were about to begin. Prior to that he was a member of the U.S. Army serving in Viet Nam during the Viet Nam War. After FDNY Probie School he was assigned to Engine Co 96 in the Bronx. As the fire activity picked up, he was then assigned to the very busy Squad Co 2 which operated out of Engine 73s quarters. During the night shifts they would also rotate between Engine 82 and Engine 85s quarters. To get a feeling of just how busy Squad 2 was, read the book "Report from Engine Co 82".

When the budget crisis hit the FDNY Squad 2 was eliminated. At that point, Captain John B. was transferred to Engine Co 75. Right about that time, the workload increased dramatically for those companies in the West Bronx. Engine 75, Ladder 33 and Battalion 19 suddenly approached the highest numbers for runs and workers. The West Bronx was burning. It is there that he also worked with site member "69mets", Garrett L., who was assigned to the very busy Ladder Co 33. When promoted to Lt, "Jbendick" was assigned to Engine Co 68. Another busy West Bronx company. Later he was promoted to Captain of Engine Co 23 in Manhattan and is now enjoying a well deserved retirement with his family, currently, including 13 grandchildren.

"68JK09", Jake K., is a FDNY Retired Battalion Chief. As mentioned earlier, he attended Probie school with "Jbendick" in 1968 as the busy FDNY War Years were beginning. Prior to that he had been a U.S. Marine serving in Viet Nam during the Viet Nam War. After Probie School he was assigned to Ladder Co 108 in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. At the time, Williamsburg was one of the busiest neighborhoods for fires in the very busy Boro of Brooklyn. After Ladder Co 108 Chief Jake K., was assigned to Rescue Co 2 in Brooklyn. Anybody who knows the FDNY from those years, knows the work that Rescue 2 did. They continue to do a heavy workload today.

When Chief "68JK09" was promoted to Lt he was assigned to Engine 41 in the Bronx. There were many neighborhood protest as this firehouse had been scheduled to close. Yet it continued to be one of the busiest companies in the city. As I understand it, in order to keep this firehouse open, the deal was that Engine 41 would assume additional duties. It was to be operated as a Squad Company with extrication equipment and they would be assigned as a manpower company for working fires in several very busy battalion areas of the Bronx and Harlem. It would be referred to as "Enhanced Engine Co 41", and any adjustments for additional required equipment carried on the rig was done mostly by the members themselves. As I understand it, it was a difficult time to work that fire house due to the political spotlight on it. That is where I am told site member "69mets" also enjoyed working with then Lt Jack K., as part of the pre Squad 41 days.  As Captain, Jake K., was assigned to the busy Ladder Co 126 in Queens. It was a neighborhood in transition. Ladder Co 126 was now at the top of the list for runs and workers. As a buff, I asked a now retired Brooklyn Dispatcher/Buff where to hang out for the most action in Queens and he told me the area of Engine 275 or Ladder 126. Later "68JK09" was promoted to Battalion Chief and was assigned to the very busy Battalion 46. Chief Jake K., as I understand it, is one of the most decorated firefighters in the FDNY.

"69mets", Garrett L., is now a retired member of the FDNY. Prior to becoming a Firefighter for the City of New York, he worked the New York City Health and Hospitals EMS Service before the FDNY/EMS merger. His primary area then was the very busy Bed-Sty area of Brooklyn. The area was known for drug use and violence. A very tough place to work. He left that job to follow in his fathers foot steps. That of becoming a FDNY firefighter. His first company he was assigned to was the busy Ladder Co 123. A small section of the documentary called "Brothers in Battle" focuses in the busy Engine Co 234 and Ladder Co 123. As I understand it, "69mets" has a small part in that. He later was assigned to Ladder Co 33, working the same firehouse as "Jbendick" (Eng Co 75) on Jerome Ave during a time of peak fire activity. "69mets" also spent time working Engine Co 41 with "68JK09", during the time that it was considered "Enhanced Engine 41" and now taking on the additional duties of a Squad Company. Later Garrett L., would spend time on the very busy Rescue Co 3 covering the Bronx and Harlem during some very busy years before he retired. Garrett L., now has a son who is also a firefighter.

Those of us that know any or all of these three members, would readily tell you what good guys they are. I consider it an honor to know these three members. During my younger buff years, I probably saw them operate hundreds of times. I'm sure I learned a lot just from watching them work. I understand how tough their jobs were and I saw the conditions they worked under. They really were the Major Leagues of the Fire Service. I hope each one enjoys a long and healthy retirement. "THEY-SURE-EARNED-IT".

I once said to one of these guys, "Did you ever see me down there in the streets watching you work" ? His answer to me in typical firehouse form was "well, if you weren't wearing a skirt..... probably not" !!!

Hey Bill .... Thank you for the kind words as well as your friendship. All I can say is, it was an honor and a privilege to work with Chief J.K. and Captain J.B.. Both are super experienced, knowledgeable men who were very willing to share their knowledge with us 'young bucks' (well, at the time I was young ... not so much anymore!). I'm so fortunate to have been a part of "the Greatest Job On Earth". All I have now are the great memories from the time I started riding with my Dad in 1968 until I retired in 2002. Thank you to all the great guys who contribute information to this site, I don't post very often but I view everyone's posts frequently and enjoy the stories and information tremendously. 

I also have very fond memories of 69 Mets and his father.  His father was my first Captain at E 248 back in 1964.  69 Mets would come to the firehouse with his mother and sister; at a very young age, he had a complete set of turnout gear.  As I remember, his father was a LT in Red Hook, possibly at L 101, before coming to E 248.  When promoted to BC, he was assigned to B 38.  Great family all around.

As I understand it, this Sunday N.Y. Times, (January 4th, '15), will start a series of "Human Interest Stories" about the Fire Buffs of the FDNY. I am told the first story in this series will be our very own site member "guitarman314", nicknamed "G-man", Tom E., from Staten Island.

From what I know about Tom is that he grew up in the South Bronx near 60/17. He got a job with the Post Office where he eventually became a supervisor in that neighborhood. He has been a buff of the FDNY for a very long time and those of us who have seen the skill he has in building model fire trucks, is an amazing job to say the least. As I understand it, he is also a member of the Fire Bell Club of New York and well respected by the members of the FDNY.

Today, G-man is retired from the Postal Service. His basement has a display of some of the model fire trucks he has built, with some pieces so small they are hard to see and tweezers are needed to work with them. He also is gifted in that as his screen name says, he plays the guitar for several of the singing groups of the Doo Wop era. Many who still perform today. 

On a side note, those of us who remember the days of the "44 caliber killer", who called himself "The Son of Sam" may remember that he worked as a postal clerk in Yonkers. G-man worked with him at that time. 

Thanks Tom and I think a lot of us will be looking forward to reading your story. I hope for those who won't be able to get that newspaper, a copy of your story will be printed here. How about it guys.