News of Members

A couple of quick announcements regarding "News of Members".

First good news regarding Steve E., "flapara16", granddaughter. There is talk that she may be moved out of ICU in a couple of days. For those of us who know Steve, you just couldn't ask for a better guy. He is a Battalion Chief in a County Department in Virginia and is the boss of an entire county for his shift. A guy really into the job. Steve, your Brothers to the north sure hope everything continues to go well for your granddaughter.

Now, a "Big Thank You" is in order for all the guys that take the time to give us the rundowns and stories of ALL the Jobs. Both FDNY and other areas. I don't know how they do it, but I sure do appreciate it. I guess at least for me, this fire department stuff has been ingested into the blood stream and I just can't seem to get rid of it. But anyway, thank you for providing me with my needed "daily fix".

Also the pictures that are posted here tell the actual story. Many have been taken by "OnScenePhotos" and posted on the main page. Other than being there, it shows what went on. Thank you for posting them. 

Last week, I made a trip down to the Sunshine State to visit a few friends. I thought it would be warm in Orlando. Well, they didn't exactly get 5 feet of snow like the Buffalo area did, but the first night it went down to 38 degrees. I could have stayed in Connecticut for that kind of weather. In fact, the entire week, I never got a chance to wear my shorts and show those nice, big fat white legs on mine.

But while I was down there, I was invited to a gathering of the Suncoast Retirees luncheon in Sarasota by site member Garrett L.,"69mets". I have met Garrett in the past through this web site. He is a retired FDNY member who worked Ladder 123, Ladder 33, Squad 41, and Rescue 3. He also might have spent time working Ladder 156 and driving the SOC Chief. His father was on the job in the FDNY and now his son is on the job in Fla.

I also met another site member at that Retirees Luncheon. Site member Jack O'R., "JOR176", who I met for the first time. Jack was assigned to the FDNY Communications Division for several years. As I understand it, he was also a U.S. Marine during the Viet Nam War. We had been in contact in the past through this web site, but I really didn't know Jack. When I did get to meet him at this luncheon, it was like we were long lost friends. One of the guys took a picture of the three of us. I think my good friend Emmett M., "fdny1075k", might post that picture on here for us.

The luncheon was made up of about 20 guys, mostly from the FDNY. But as I understand it, there was also two retired guys from the Camden Fire Department, myself from Connecticut, and a retired Brother of mine, named Gerry K., who I worked with on the job in Connecticut for my entire career. We also used to buff the FDNY together back in the day. I think I've seen him once since he retired 15 years ago. So it was great to see my Retired Brother Gerry K., the "Wildman", as he was known in the firehouse.

Now, on a somewhat different note, as we all know, site member Frank D, aka "fdce54", has put off his November 30th, 2014 retirement until July, 2015. For many of us, the Big Question was "Why is that" ? Well, we investigated and what we found would probably be no surprise to anybody. It's all about money. It has been rumored, that those who work under his command are so upset that their boss is leaving, that they feel it's in their best interest to offer Frank a huge sum of money, just to put that retirement date off a few more months. I have no proof of that but from what it sounds like to me, that seems to be the results of our investigation. As we all know, only Frank knows the real story and probably would plead his Fifth Amendment right on that.

What was also in the works was a little retirement gathering for Frank at Maggie Mays. That retirement party has now turned in to a "Frankie D Roasting Party". Yes, at some point he must face the music. I think the new "Roasting Party" will be discussed and possibly that date may be posted here for EVERYONE to tell Frank just how they feel about this sudden change in plans. 

Just one more bit of news to report. If you received any text with a picture of a newly designed piece of equipment called "The Willy Scope Tool", it was sent to me by a member of this site. Some of the comments that have been made are:
  "Willy, I was going to buy you this for Christmas"
  "I have the same problem"
  "I needed a laugh like that today"
  "Willy, I think you got a hacker into your cell phone"
  "Willy, it kind of looks like you"
  "Those Baker Aerial Scope engineers got nothing on you"
  "Good idea, could use one myself"

If I have your Email address, I'll try to send it to you within a few days. I know it gave me a laugh and the name fit it perfectly. To the original member who sent this to me, you made my day. Maybe you made a few others day too.

Bill... thanks for the update, sounds like you had a great time in Sarasota  (and in Orlando I'm sure)

mikeindabronx said:
Bill... thanks for the update, sounds like you had a great time in Sarasota  (and in Orlando I'm sure)

Mike, Orlando is known for Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Everybody enjoys that. My tour package included that and some other fun stuff too.

As an update, my granddaughter has been moved from the acute care neonatal ICU to the intermediate care unit.  So she is making great progress! It is our hope that she will be home for Christmas.  Now all she has to do is gain some weight.  Maybe her "Great Uncle Willy D" will head south with a sack of those nutritious White Castles to help her speed up the fattening up process...

Seriously, I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.  This has helped us all make it through a very difficult time. Please continue to keep Alessandra in your thoughts and prayers as we head into the home stretch toward coming home.

fltpara16 said:
As an update, my granddaughter has been moved from the acute care neonatal ICU to the intermediate care unit.  So she is making great progress! It is our hope that she will be home for Christmas.  Now all she has to do is gain some weight.  Maybe her "Great Uncle Willy D" will head south with a sack of those nutritious White Castles to help her speed up the fattening up process...

Seriously, I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.  This has helped us all make it through a very difficult time. Please continue to keep Alessandra in your thoughts and prayers as we head into the home stretch toward coming home.
Don't tempt Uncle Wille! But great news Steve. Glad to hear the little lass is coming along well.

nfd2004 said:
As of November 30, 2014 there will be a few Westchester County Con Ed Gas workers who will be very sad. The tears are starting to flow already as that date quickly approaches. Those Con Ed employees are about to loose a great boss. That boss, as we know him here as site member "fdce54", aka Frank D. After serving 41 years with Con Ed Gas Division, Frank is hanging up the old hard hat. Yeap, the guy that once started out in the South Bronx during some of the toughest years, is retiring. And as I understand it, those other Con Ed Guys are not too happy about it. Those Con Ed guys want him to stay, but the paper work is in. For those guys, the party is about to end shortly.

Frankie D., born and raised in the South Bronx on Elton/155 St, then moving up to Clay/169 St, and finally to Valentine Ave/198 St, this Bronx Boy has seen it all. Yet despite all odds, somehow he made it. His latest beat has been Westchester County working in places like Yonkers, Mt Vernon and the surrounding towns. "fdce54" now resides in a small peaceful town in Orange County.

For "fdce54", no more cold nights out there. Now during those cold winter mornings, he can look out the window and get back under the covers if he wants. Or make up his favorite hot cocoa and watch TV. He'll probably want to tune in some of his old favorites. "Car 54 where are you", Abbott and Costello, or maybe "Laurel and Hardy". Maybe he like Westerns like "The Lone Ranger", "Roy Rogers". Maybe he might want to watch cartoons like "Casper the Ghost", Felix the Cat" or "Donald Duck". Retirement will give him a chance to catch up on the ones he missed while digging up those South Bronx streets. Sounds exciting whatever it is he decides to watch.

And here's another important fact about "fdce54". Frank is the ONLY person to take part in EVERY Get Together since they first started. In the beginning, Frank will tell you they were called "Member Meetings". To this day, his most memorable moment during those Get Togethers was the time he sat next to his good buddy, the Most Reverend CFDMarshall, and the Rev opened up his winning prize. What a special moment that was.

Frank, the truth is, "you got a lot of friends here". We all wish you the best for many years of a happy and healthy retirement.

Well Frank, aka "fdce54", your First Official Day of Retirement is here. As of November 30th, you were all done. No more out in those cold winter nights. Now just sit back, pour yourself another hot cup of coffee, throw on the tube and watch the rest of those poor people drag themselves into their daily routine. Not for you though, those days are OFFICIALLY OVER. Welcome to the lucky group of NYCFIRE Retirees. It just doesn't get any better than this, RIGHT !!

nfd2004 said:
nfd2004 said:
As of November 30, 2014 there will be a few Westchester County Con Ed Gas workers who will be very sad. The tears are starting to flow already as that date quickly approaches. Those Con Ed employees are about to loose a great boss. That boss, as we know him here as site member "fdce54", aka Frank D. After serving 41 years with Con Ed Gas Division, Frank is hanging up the old hard hat. Yeap, the guy that once started out in the South Bronx during some of the toughest years, is retiring. And as I understand it, those other Con Ed Guys are not too happy about it. Those Con Ed guys want him to stay, but the paper work is in. For those guys, the party is about to end shortly.

Frankie D., born and raised in the South Bronx on Elton/155 St, then moving up to Clay/169 St, and finally to Valentine Ave/198 St, this Bronx Boy has seen it all. Yet despite all odds, somehow he made it. His latest beat has been Westchester County working in places like Yonkers, Mt Vernon and the surrounding towns. "fdce54" now resides in a small peaceful town in Orange County.

For "fdce54", no more cold nights out there. Now during those cold winter mornings, he can look out the window and get back under the covers if he wants. Or make up his favorite hot cocoa and watch TV. He'll probably want to tune in some of his old favorites. "Car 54 where are you", Abbott and Costello, or maybe "Laurel and Hardy". Maybe he like Westerns like "The Lone Ranger", "Roy Rogers". Maybe he might want to watch cartoons like "Casper the Ghost", Felix the Cat" or "Donald Duck". Retirement will give him a chance to catch up on the ones he missed while digging up those South Bronx streets. Sounds exciting whatever it is he decides to watch.

And here's another important fact about "fdce54". Frank is the ONLY person to take part in EVERY Get Together since they first started. In the beginning, Frank will tell you they were called "Member Meetings". To this day, his most memorable moment during those Get Togethers was the time he sat next to his good buddy, the Most Reverend CFDMarshall, and the Rev opened up his winning prize. What a special moment that was.

Frank, the truth is, "you got a lot of friends here". We all wish you the best for many years of a happy and healthy retirement.

Well Frank, aka "fdce54", your First Official Day of Retirement is here. As of November 30th, you were all done. No more out in those cold winter nights. Now just sit back, pour yourself another hot cup of coffee, throw on the tube and watch the rest of those poor people drag themselves into their daily routine. Not for you though, those days are OFFICIALLY OVER. Welcome to the lucky group of NYCFIRE Retirees. It just doesn't get any better than this, RIGHT !!

WAIT - A - MINUTE here.

I'm getting URGENT Messages that our good friend, Frank D., aka "fdce54", DID NOT RETIRE. This just can NOT be true. I'm sure there's been a mistake somewhere. Frankie D., Not Retiring?? After 41 years of being out there days, nights, weekends, holidays, hot summers, cold winters. From the ghetto streets of the South Bronx, to those rich snobs in the elite Westchester County.

What happen ? I don't understand. But the OFFICIAL word now, is as it comes across the presses, is that Frank D., did NOT retire. Instead he is hanging in there through another cold winter for a couple of extra shekels. He just sent me a picture a few days ago of his street where they got 10 inches of snow.

Frank, as your good friend, and as many of your retired friends will tell you, PLEASE reconsider. We all understand the effects the almighty dollar can have on us. I've been through it myself. But we sure like staying home looking out the window on those sub zero January mornings.

Anyway, hope to see you soon. Regardless of what you do, "we all still love you".

nfd2004 said:
nfd2004 said:
nfd2004 said:

WAIT - A - MINUTE here.

I'm getting URGENT Messages that our good friend, Frank D., aka "fdce54", DID NOT RETIRE. This just can NOT be true. I'm sure there's been a mistake somewhere. Frankie D., Not Retiring?? After 41 years of being out there days, nights, weekends, holidays, hot summers, cold winters. From the ghetto streets of the South Bronx, to those rich snobs in the elite Westchester County.

What happen ? I don't understand. But the OFFICIAL word now, is as it comes across the presses, is that Frank D., did NOT retire. Instead he is hanging in there through another cold winter for a couple of extra shekels. He just sent me a picture a few days ago of his street where they got 10 inches of snow.

Frank, as your good friend, and as many of your retired friends will tell you, PLEASE reconsider. We all understand the effects the almighty dollar can have on us. I've been through it myself. But we sure like staying home looking out the window on those sub zero January mornings.

Anyway, hope to see you soon. Regardless of what you do, "we all still love you".
That's it, rub it in.... :( :( :(

All, I am happy to report my granddaughter was released from the University of Virginia Medical Center today.  For a premature birth, she had a relatively short stay of just over 3 weeks in the Neonatal ICU.  She is a whopping 5.5 lbs now and is eating like a buff at a Bronx McDonalds. I want to thank you all for the thoughts, prayers and messages you have sent over the past three weeks.  Words cannot describe what the support has meant to my family and I.  May God bless you all, and I wish everyone a joyous holiday season!

Steve E.
aka fltpara16

Great news, Steve!  Just one question:

fltpara16 said:
eating like a buff at a Bronx McDonalds.

Steve E.
aka fltpara16

Did you have any particular buff in mind?    ::) :eek: ::)

Yes Steve that is great news. An early Christmas present for us all. Enjoy your Christmas Grandpa.

And here's a little more Grandpa news. The other day I was told by a NYCfire site member and a Grandpa of 13 younger members. that he is now expecting Number 14. I sure wouldn't want to pay his Micky Ds tab for all those Happy Meals.

Ray, I think we both know who that McDonalds buff is.

But certainly great news Steve. Thanks for telling us the great news.