News of Members

truck4

Administrator
That's very cool!

I hope they meant 'NYCFire' buffs ;)

"Mr. Eve monitors fire emergencies on a scanner and is active with buff groups, including NYC Fire Buffs."

Tom, G-man as you are referred to here, goes beyond what most of us could imagine. Those of us who have seen your collection and the tiny pieces of plastic that you use to put together to make an exact replica of a particular fire truck, have all talked of the truly amazing talent that you have. There's not too many out there like you.

Before I ever knew of this talent you have, I was very impressed with your stories of buffing during the FDNY War Years. Growing up in the South Bronx, you were there just as it happened. You got a first hand look at just how busy things were in those days. Your many contributions and stories to this site has been greatly appreciated by many.

Later you and I talked of some of the famous Doo Wop bands that you have worked with. You know them all. Groups like Johnny Mastro and the Brooklyn Bridge, The Drifters, or any one of the top Doo Wop groups that sometimes we talk about on another thread here. You have been a part of that music in your skills in playing your guitar, hence your name "Guitarman314".

In addition to those skills you have been a father and good provider for your large family. As I understand it, you are now a grandfather (more than once, right). Through hard work you rose to Postal Supervisor at the busy post office you worked. I know that wasn't easy as I was a letter carrier for several years myself. It was a tough job to become a supervisor.

It is an HONOR for those of us who know you. As I see it, you have gained the respect of the entire FDNY. You have shared your many talents with so many others. Thanks Tom. Thanks for what you do. We are all very proud to be associated with you.

Truck 4......just to let you know this all got started back in Sept. I met a NY TIMES editor named Corey back in Sept when he did a story about a FF that was killed while responding on a run Sept 11th 1954 from E 319 and l happened to be included in the article.  Corey called me recently and was looking to do a story on some of the salty buffs from the group I am a co administrator with....NYC FIRE BUFFS......Corey was able to speak to a few us excerpt for the founder. I told Corey about Tom and his collection and I asked Tom to call him.. Well as you see he did a story on Tom so far and will do a complete story about some of us members from the group NYC FIRE BUFFS after he finishes talking to two more salty members.....Congrats to the G-Man from all the members.

Great to see you getting the recognition you deserve, Tom!  What's next . . . the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?  ;)

Great article about a great guy. Congratulations Tom on all your contributions to the Fire Service!

AuxWarYearsCapt said:
Truck 4......just to let you know this all got started back in Sept. I met a NY TIMES editor named Corey back in Sept when he did a story about a FF that was killed while responding on a run Sept 11th 1954 from E 319 and l happened to be included in the article.  Corey called me recently and was looking to do a story on some of the salty buffs from the group I am a co administrator with....NYC FIRE BUFFS......Corey was able to speak to a few us excerpt for the founder. I told Corey about Tom and his collection and I asked Tom to call him.. Well as you see he did a story on Tom so far and will do a complete story about some of us members from the group NYC FIRE BUFFS after he finishes talking to two more salty members.....Congrats to the G-Man from all the members.

Thanks Doug, "AuxWarYearsCapt", for getting the story going.

Fire Buffs come from all backgrounds. There are lawyers, doctors, priest, military members, firefighters, dentist, police officers, 911 dispatchers, Medics/EMTs, photographers, teachers, and students. I know that because I know fire buffs who fit into each one of those occupations. On this site alone we have a school janitor, a con ed employee, an insurance business owner, a retired postal supervisor (G-man), just to mention a few too.

We have Fire Buffs from across the country and even from across the world. They visit here to see for themselves just what the FDNY is all about. Known as the Greatest Fire Department in the World. They come from Ireland, England, and I know of one from Japan who hopes to visit here soon.

Thanks "G-man", you make us all proud.

truck4

Administrator
AuxWarYearsCapt said:

I know all about NYC FIRE BUFFS, thus the ;)

It's all good to see!

Nice job GMAN, you're a wealth of knowledge on this website and a great contributor! Nice article as well.  Glad to have you on the site!

nfd2004 said:
Congratulations

Steve E. "fltpara16", Elwood E. "CFDMarshall", John B. "jbendick", Steve D., "svd385" and ALL the other Grandpas out there. This one's for you. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT0mkPci06s

CONGRADULATIONS to site member Grandpa "jbendick" who became a grandfather for the 14th time. As I understand it Baby Ryan Albert is doing fine as he made his arrival this morning, January 7, 2015 about 11 am.

A Great Family as many of us on here know.

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs "jbendick". 

You might want to click on the You Tube in the Quote above to remind us all of the special people we call; "Grandchildren"