10-60 response

Aloha folks new to the site, and a big fan of FDNY. i have been reading alot of the different topics about the different responses and codes. and all the resources that come with them, its a little overwellming to try and understand the amount of apparatus that respond. hats off to all the dispatchers. i do have a question on building fires. i know there is a bunch of different forums on this matter but i want to see if i can collect them on to one topic so i can understand this better.

so when a call comes in for a 10-75 what are the total resources that respond?

and then a 2nd alarm response will include? and then there was a 10-76 and 10-77?

is the 2nd alarm the same? and the grand daddy of all the 10-60  mahalo and thanks

Check this out:   http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYNewsImages/fdny/FDNY10Codes.htm

Won't answer all your questions, but it's a start.   Doesn't answer what is assigned on 2nd & subsequent alarms beyond the 4 & 2 (engines & ladders), but watching rundowns of these will give you that.  For example, here's what went on the 2nd in Manhattan yesterday:

Eng.  9  w /  Satellite  1
Batt.  2   ?Safety  Battalion
Batt.  7   ?Resource  Unit  Leader?
Rescue  Battalion   /   Safety  Battalion
Fieldcom  1   /   Tactical  Support  Unit  #1
Car  6:     Assist.  Chief  James  Esposito,    ( Manhattan Boro  Commander )

and the 3rd:

Batt.   1   ?Staging  Manager?
Batt  43:    ?Air  Re-Con  Chief?
Mask  Service  Unit  #1

This list (from ExChief 84) doesn't show the Command Tactical Unit (which responded) . . . but it usually goes on the 2nd or above; it also doesn't show EMS units which respond, including the MERVs . . . but they usually don't appear on rundowns because they're assigned by a different dispatching system.  Hope this helps.

good stuff thanks alot, i noticed that a rescue task force is used on a 10-66. and on a 10-60 there are 2 rescues that respond, along with the rescue that may already be assigned to the job. so that would bring a total of four rescues is that correct. along with the collapse units? again good stuff very interesting thanks again.

The assignment on Frank's page for the 10-60 is the total required response, meaning that if there are already 2 rescues on scene no additional ones are assigned.  If there's 1 on scene, 1 additional is assigned, etc.  If there's already a 2nd alarm it stays at a 2nd alarm and so on.

The 10-66 by comparison is in addition.  If it's at a 2nd alarm, a 3rd alarm is transmitted.  If it's a 3rd, the 4th is transmitted, etc.

Is there a difference between a rescue unit with collapse unit and a rescue task force? and what makes up the task force thanks?

catry said:
The assignment on Frank's page for the 10-60 is the total required response, meaning that if there are already 2 rescues on scene no additional ones are assigned.  If there's 1 on scene, 1 additional is assigned, etc.  If there's already a 2nd alarm it stays at a 2nd alarm and so on.

The 10-66 by comparison is in addition.  If it's at a 2nd alarm, a 3rd alarm is transmitted.  If it's a 3rd, the 4th is transmitted, etc.

Catry,

I was going to point him to the "REFERENCE" work you posted, but can't seem to find it.    HELP!!!

kfd274

If you mean the General FAQ it's at the top of the General Discussion section

ok, i was browsing the other site, and got the run down, still a little confused but i will get it soon, i'm kinda obsessed with it now, and I'm Trying to figure out the different responses.  So if there is a 5th alarm, just a structure fire not a 10-76/77 and according to the chart there are 20 engines and 11 ladders and 5 bat chiefs ETC , and then a call goes out for a 10-60, the chart indicates that an additional 8 engines 4 ladders 6 bat, 2 dep, 2 squads, one with TRV and TSU, ETC is that correct. and will that be considered a third alarm also.  please bare with me, and mahalo bra.

On Frank's site the "Dispatch Policy" is the minimum assignment for that particular alarm.  Meaning if some portions of the minimum are already met then they do not need to be called again.

Per your example, a 4th Alarm would get 16 engines, 9 trucks, 5 battalion chiefs, and the various special units.  Should a 5th alarm be transmitted, 4 engines and 2 trucks will be assigned to bring it up to the 20 engines and 11 ladder minimum for the 5th alarm.  Should a 10-60 be transmitted only the special units not on scene (2nd rescue, Squad 1 w/ TRV, etc) would be called because there are already 8 engines, 4 trucks, etc assigned.  It would be a 5th Alarm 10-60.  The same applies to the 10-76, 10-77, 10-80, and 10-86 codes - only those units not already assigned are called.

The 10-66 is unusual in that it requires the transmission of the next alarm, meaning that in addition to the extra special units it brings, it also would raise the incident to a 6th Alarm.

OK i think the light is going on now thanks!!  OK if the call for a 10-60 is write of the bat, thats when the  8 engines and four ladders would respond, to give them what they need right away, got it thanks again for clarifying that and the 10-66.

HCO

An earlier post mentions a total of five battalion chiefs assigned up to and including a fourth alarm.

The full BC assignment for a FDNY fourth alarm is ten battalion chiefs:  one on the original alarm, one on the 10-75 or all-hands, four (safety officer, resource unit leader, rescue operations battalion, safety battalion) on the second alarm, three (firefighting, staging area manager, air recon) on the third alarm, and one (planning) on the fourth alarm.

Aloha folks, thanks for all the info much appreciated. i would also like to ask if someone can post a side by side comparison on a 10-60 vs a 10-66 response. its easier to compare. thanks

hawaiifiveo said:
Aloha folks, thanks for all the info much appreciated. i would also like to ask if someone can post a side by side comparison on a 10-60 vs a 10-66 response. its easier to compare. thanks
10-60:
Signal 10-60
Major accident response
    * 8 engines
    * 4 ladders
    * 6 battalion chiefs
    * 2 deputy chiefs
    * 2 squads (one must be Squad 1 w/TRV)
    * tactical support unit
    * rescue battalion
    * Haz-Mat battalion
    * safety battalion
    * FAST unit
    * 2 collapse task forces
    * 2 SOC support ladders
    * SOC logistic support van
    * SOC compressor truck
    * 1 satellite
    * 1 RAC unit
    * mobile command center
    * air recon chief
    * 1 EMS division chief
    * 2 EMS division captains
    * 1 Haz-Tac officer
    * 4 BLS ambulances
    * 1 logistic support unit
    * 1 MERV
    * 1 MRTU
    * 1 EMS deputy chief
    * 3 EMS conditions officer
    * 2 ALS ambulances
    * 1 OMA response physician

10-66:
Missing, lost, trapped, or seriously injured member requiring extrication (Increases response by transmission of the next higher alarm, 1 additional deputy chief, 2 battalion chiefs, the collapse unit from the borough of incident, a collapse rescue task force, an additional squad, a SOC Support ladder, a FAST unit, a CFR-D engine, SOC Logistics support van, SOC Compressor truck, SOC Dewatering unit, Public Information officer, EMS division captain, EMS Haz-Tac officer, a BLS ambulance, an ALS ambulance, an EMS Rescue Paramedic ambulance, OMA response physician and a medical officer.) If the cause of the 10-66 is due to a collapse, a signal 10-60 also must be transmitted.