100' Ferrara Rear Mount Aerials

According to the Sept/Oct 2009 edition of Fire Apparatus Journal final purchase orders are pending for a large order of 100' rear mount aerials.

The next 20 rearmounts are going to be made by Ferrara ;). http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/index.php?topic=11802.msg0#new

Interesting, to say the least.  Over on that other board, "Redlight" is known as just about the best authority on FDNY.  I'd believe anything he put out.  Since FDNY already has six or more Ferrara apparatus (5 high pressure engines, the new Hazmat 1, more?), they've got to have a feel for them, and must be satisfied. Anybody know whose chassis they'll be on?  Spartan? ??? ???

Nope, but I hope somebody comes up with a blueprint of these new rigs like they did with the Marauder II pumpers last year. I'm wondering what type of aerial ladder they're going use as Ferrara has their own which looks like a Smeal. Another interesting note is that the 1999 and 2001 batch contains a couple of busy units that have received unique apparatus in the past like L4, 19, 24, 30, 32, 38, 42, 49, 132 & 165.

Some information on Ferrara aerials:

http://www.ferrarafire.com/Apparatus/Aerials/Ladders.html

Will they look like the HD 107's?????  of the LP 102's??????

guitarman314 said:
I'd bet the farm on it that it's the LP102 ;)

What chassis do you think they will use?  Igniter, Inferno or Spartan?  I'm guessing the Spartan chassis.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I would bet on the SHD100.  I would be surprised if New York bought anything with less than 1000# tip capacity and the other two are only 500# and 750# respectively.  I'm sure there are situations where the 1500# capacity would be useful.  In addition you can get a waterway with 1500gpm which would be a good match up for the new pumpers

N

NZFDNYBuff

I reckon they'll be pretty sweet in FDNY colours - I'm actually beginning to like the Ferrara trucks to be honest.

That thing looks huge, I dont think these will last too long in the FDNY if they even get them.

My department has 2 Ferrara engines and I have to say that they have held up pretty well, even with driving over rough city streets.  Both were put in service in 2000 and the busier of the two averages about 1,500 runs per year.  Also, Hartford Fire in CT has quite a few now, and they seem to hold up.  HFD has had a good amount of work lately.  I know Houston TX has Ferrara aerials, not sure what other large departments.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it works out for FDNY.

Just had a thought . . . Ferrara built the new satellite units, too . . . on MACK MR chassis.  Wouldn't that be a kick in the head?  :-* :eek: :-*

I've never seen a crew-cab MR, though . . .

Bulldog said:
I would bet on the SHD100.  I would be surprised if New York bought anything with less than 1000# tip capacity and the other two are only 500# and 750# respectively.  I'm sure there are situations where the 1500# capacity would be useful.  In addition you can get a waterway with 1500gpm which would be a good match up for the new pumpers

Here are the specs for the SHD100:

http://www.ferrarafire.com/Apparatus/Aerials/SHD100/SHD100.html

Having some knowledge of FDNY aerials i don't think the bids are for the heavy duty shd100 the present FDNY ladders are all medium duty seagrave ladders, we had 4 heavy duty 110' ladders in the 1990's and they are long gone. Maybe someone can research or find the actual bid and contract and put it on this site. The ladders now are much better than our old cable and drum seagraves that had to lay in or lean on a building. We usually dont flow water from aerials due to the abundance of tower ladders in FDNY and we have not had prepiped waterways on aerials in a long time. We use ladder pipe infrequently and it has to be attached to aerial and is limited in use. It will be interesting to see designs of ferrera for FDNY.

a crew cab MR for you sir  http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/otherstates/Middlesex%20County/South%20Amboy.htm

Bulldog

Bulldog
vbcapt said:
a crew cab MR for you sir  http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/otherstates/Middlesex%20County/South%20Amboy.htm
That is one ugly truck!  It's also got very limited window area which I would think would make it a safety hazard and dark inside.

mac8146 said:
Having some knowledge of FDNY aerials i don't think the bids are for the heavy duty shd100 the present FDNY ladders are all medium duty seagrave ladders, we had 4 heavy duty 110' ladders in the 1990's and they are long gone. Maybe someone can research or find the actual bid and contract and put it on this site. The ladders now are much better than our old cable and drum seagraves that had to lay in or lean on a building. We usually dont flow water from aerials due to the abundance of tower ladders in FDNY and we have not had prepiped waterways on aerials in a long time. We use ladder pipe infrequently and it has to be attached to aerial and is limited in use. It will be interesting to see designs of ferrera for FDNY.
  On the list I posted before were some ladder companies that currently run with 1999 thru 2001 Seagrave 100 ft. rearmounts that have had unique or experimental rigs in the past. They were L4**, 30*, 38**, 49**, 132*, & 165**. [(*) = Mack/LTI 106 ft. Bulldog rearmount, (**) = Seagrave 110 Ft. HD rearmount] Also note that between 1986 and 1988 Ladders: 19, 24, 32, 42, 81, 113, 123, 137, 154, 156 and 169 were the first rearmounts delivered with white cab roofs and a new type of automatic transmission. 

N

NZFDNYBuff

vbcapt said:

I would probably get injured inside the truck, since it doesn't have that many windows.