4/23/21. NEW SEAGRAVE TOWER LADDERS

Bulldog

Bulldog
Many cities are seeing that TDAs are worth the extra bucks, and in recent years nationwide there has been a renaissance.
They certainly have advantages, if they made a TDA Tower $$$, it would certainly make things interesting for FDNY. I believe LA city has all tillers. I'm sure a tiller costs a good bit more than a rear mount however.

They certainly have advantages, if they made a TDA Tower $$$, it would certainly make things interesting for FDNY. I believe LA city has all tillers. I'm sure a tiller costs a good bit more than a rear mount however.
I believe you are correct. Price progression goes from Rear mount to Tiller to Tower. From articles I've read many cities are finding that replacing a Rear mount, which today is a bit bigger then rigs 15 to 20 years ago, with a Tiller Increases getting around and also greatly increases storage space. There are some cities in CA, for example, that are using these rigs as support rigs and not needing extra trucks for some equipment. Meaning, for example, a Haz Mat Engine company has an extra rig that one member would bring. These rigs might be able to carry some of this equipment and not need to bring the extra rig each time.

Sutphen did make a TDA tower it was a flop

I believe you are correct. Price progression goes from Rear mount to Tiller to Tower. From articles I've read many cities are finding that replacing a Rear mount, which today is a bit bigger then rigs 15 to 20 years ago, with a Tiller Increases getting around and also greatly increases storage space. There are some cities in CA, for example, that are using these rigs as support rigs and not needing extra trucks for some equipment. Meaning, for example, a Haz Mat Engine company has an extra rig that one member would bring. These rigs might be able to carry some of this equipment and not need to bring the extra rig each time.
Makes you wonder could the FDNY cut down on those SOC second pieces (SSLs) with truck companies? Would think the cost of the TDA if it could take over for two pieces makes it a cheaper option in the end...

Makes you wonder could the FDNY cut down on those SOC second pieces (SSLs) with truck companies? Would think the cost of the TDA if it could take over for two pieces makes it a cheaper option in the end...
I don't know about eliminating second pieces but it might or it could mean a smaller lighter second piece or lessen the amount of times the second piece has to roll. Reading those articles does make you think and say it does give other options that may work.

I had made the suggestion when i was still OTJ to assign all SOC Support Ladders a Tiller Rig since not only could they carry more equipment at all times eliminating the Second Piece (& also the need at some times to return to Qtrs to pick up the Second Piece & be delayed to the Alarm location ) ......another benefit would be that the Tiller Rig could negotiate any street in NYC much easier than a RM or TL.....also a Tiller Rig provides an extra seat on board over a RM or TL ..... my suggestion was never picked up on....( maybe someday ? )

I know this is a little off topic but ST17002; TL 120s rig on the back of a heavy wrecker headed towards the Seagrave dealer this afternoon. Was next to it in traffic on the SI Expressway

I had made the suggestion when i was still OTJ to assign all SOC Support Ladders a Tiller Rig since not only could they carry more equipment at all times eliminating the Second Piece (& also the need at some times to return to Qtrs to pick up the Second Piece & be delayed to the Alarm location ) ......another benefit would be that the Tiller Rig could negotiate any street in NYC much easier than a RM or TL.....also a Tiller Rig provides an extra seat on board over a RM or TL ..... my suggestion was never picked up on....( maybe someday ? )
If you know the new COD or COO, maybe you could resubmit the suggestion.

Phila FD is all tillers except for our tower ladders. In the past we've had both ALF & Seagrave rearmounts. Tillers work better on smaller streets, plus there's the standardization factor when making sure that each ladder company has enough qualified tillermen on their roster.

ALL FDNY Firehouses were built to fit a Tiller Rig.....there just might have to be some renovations to add on structures on the rear of some apparatus floor's.

ALL FDNY Firehouses were built to fit a Tiller Rig.....there just might have to be some renovations to add on structures on the rear of some apparatus floor's.
With so many houses being in the 75 - 100 year old range, how does the length of a 1930's or 40's tiller compare to today's tillers?

Tiller does not fit at L2…. When I looked it had maybe 2 foot from the wall and then they can’t walk behind it

Since many of the older firehouses have undergone renovations space on apparatus floor was used for handicap accessible facilities, kitchen extensions in smaller houses and general storage areas. We used to store a reserve pumper in quarters but after renovations it wouldn’t fit back in firehouse, a deputy thought we were screwing around and actually came and measured the floor. He wanted the ADA compliant bathroom removed, lol rig needed up somewhere else. Even modern stations like 8/2 have added space for sitting areas or storage since they are Rearmount ladder company, so a longer tiller can’t fit. Sure there are many other stories of rigs that couldn’t fit into many firehouses, back when L39 was in its own quarters many Rearmount ladders had tough time entering firehouse due to angle of doors and walls, so they left rig outside. Same firehouse had to have rear windows open at rear of firehouse for the longer wooden ladders that occasionally relocated there or else the rear part of ladder would take out windows.

The ADA bathrooms will remain but the Company added sitting rooms or workshops can fall to the demo hammer if The Job decides so....believe me it has happened......not saying it will again but those structures could be a victim to the needs of The Job if they decide.