8/26/24 Brooklyn 4th Alarm Box 1676

Nice positioning by TL-120. Backing In. Fire blows out on the 2nd & 3rd floor. The Chauffeur of 120 was ready to enter the second floor window and it exploded. He then took the members off the roof, it was untenable. The density of the smoke is indicative of it lighting up. The gases rolling around are explosive and just need the right ignition temperature and flammable range. I know, was in a top floor explosion on the Grand Concourse in 1988. Wasn’t pretty…

Last edited:
Nice positioning by TL-120. Backing In. It blows out on the 2nd & 3rd floor. The Chauffeur of 120 was ready to enter the second floor window and it exploded. He took the members off the roof, it was untenable. The density of the smoke is indicative of it lighting up. The gases rolling around are explosive and just need the right temperature and flammable range. I know, was in a top floor explosion on the Grand Concourse in 1988. Wasn’t pretty…
That job was featured in an issue of WNYF. A lot to be learned from that job.

Great job by the brothers & sisters at the Brooklyn 4th Alarm Box 1676, on Dean St. I know this area as I Buffed this area in the late 1960s & early 1970s. These buildings a still full of occupants and yet these building are showing their age. Only few points, I would have put Tower Ladder streams to work earlier, to reduce the fire and once again do what Chicago Fire Dept. calls "Reset the Fire" Again does not mean a total exterior attack, it means, remove the members to a safe area, aggressively hit the fire via an "Aggressive Exterior Attack" once the major fire is reduced, then after examine the building for any dangers. Then carefully restart the "Aggressive INTERIOR Attack" This process even works for fires with "reported people trapped" and actual experiences and tests have determined this is a fact= "More lives are saved by the quick application of water!"
Simply "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red Stuff and Good Things Happen" Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
Some good points, but realistically for row frames such as these, I would think it would be more prudent and efficient in this case to have a line on the top floor of the exposures and have the ceilings pulled to expose the fire in the cockloft, getting ahead of the fire.. No need to go exterior in this case if done this way. JMO

The use of Tower Ladders to "Reset the fire" does not in any way preclude the use of other units, to pull ceiling and operate hoselines to extinguish fire in the cockloft and top floor ceilings, of exposures, but also any fire that extended, into the top floors themself. In Row Frames and as our New England friends call them "3 Deckars", and important consideration also is the spread of fire on the often-combustible exteriors of the buildings.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking here. Maybe 2nd alarm on arrival due to the amount of fire and reported people trapped. As more Companies are called they are further away from the job which gives fire more time to spread. Also using large caliber streams on the exterior has a tendency to push fire further into the exposures. And don't forget only 3 guys stretching a line, so initial line takes time.

A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking here. Maybe 2nd alarm on arrival due to the amount of fire and reported people trapped. As more Companies are called they are further away from the job which gives fire more time to spread. Also using large caliber streams on the exterior has a tendency to push fire further into the exposures. And don't forget only 3 guys stretching a line, so initial line takes time.
I'm sure they had the 2nd due engine helping with the stretch, especially in this area with the engine companies being so close to one another they probably weren't by themselves for a while