Anyone have info on KME Engines

grumpy grizzly said:
Boston has the following KME Engines in service: 7-2012, 14-2010, 17-2011, 22-2011, 33-2011, 37-2011, 42-2010, 52-2012, 53-2012. Also there are plans to purchase 3 KME rear-mounts, info as of 10-3-12,  courtesy http://firenews.org/news.html.  GG :)

Grump, with the amount of times these rigs got changed around it confused me too, Boston's KMEs are 2010 only raised roof KMEs so far E 14, 37, and 42, 14 was originally 33's but it couldnt fit in the house, and 42's was 7 till 7's crew and the admin had a bit of a issue and they took there KME away and gave it to 7. The second batch 2011's went to 17, 22, and 33, flat roof rigs. And the 3rd batch 2012 flat roofs again went to 7, 52 and 53.

I was at the FDNY Shops last night and have some KME pumper information. It's going to take about 12 months before the first one is made. The contract is for 91 KME 2000gpm pumpers to be delivered in three years. 

guitarman314 said:
I was at the FDNY Shops last night and have some KME pumper information. It's going to take about 12 months before the first one is made. The contract is for 91 KME 2000gpm pumpers to be delivered in three years.

So this means that the 2002's will begin replacement sometime in the next 12 months?

I heard a similar thing the other day. They are coming. They had to
Go through some approval process first as a new vendor.

Also said some new Ferrara aerials have arrived and are at the shops. Did you see any?

In2theJob said:
I heard a similar thing the other day. They are coming. They had to
Go through some approval process first as a new vendor.

Also said some new Ferrara aerials have arrived and are at the shops. Did you see any?
We were told that they just passed new vendor approval process. There  were two new Ferrara rearmounts there: L84 & L128. Ladder 29's rig was parked at the far end for some kind of repair but I couldn't see the work order because it was inside the cab.
DSCF0006.jpg

The way I understood it from one of the mechanics i saw last week, first the blueprint has to be approved....the next step will be for KME to build the demo.....the apparatus team goes to inspect it....my buddy will be retiring in two years and doubts he will be around after they finally start producing the rigs after final approval...

G Man..you are a salty dog like me....we have.been thru this.before....you no as well so I do that the FDNY team will inspect it find problems, go back after those problem have been resolved and knock it again with additional issues.....It could take some time before the FDNY team gives the approval for KME to start production for the entire order......When you were at 35 Street last nite it was possibly discussed by you and one of the guys from shops.

Just curious, how different would the specs be from a BFD rig than an FDNY rig. Rotten weather, rotten streets, busy companies. BFD specs are already in the computer!

Grumpy.....I honest have no answer to your question.....I don't no if FDNY requires a blueprint everytime a order is placed... Or only when they order from a new company that never did productions in the past.

Lone319Wolf said:
G Man..you are a salty dog like me....we have.been thru this.before....you no as well so I do that the FDNY team will inspect it find problems, go back after those problem have been resolved and knock it again with additional issues.....It could take some time before the FDNY team gives the approval for KME to start production for the entire order......When you were at 35 Street last nite it was possibly discussed by you and one of the guys from shops.
It was the Bell Club's annual Shops visit with Fleet Services giving us a presentation. The Chief asked if anybody had questions, I did and asked about KME pumpers and new tillers. ;)

Bulldog

Bulldog
guitarman314 said:
It was the Bell Club's annual Shops visit with Fleet Services giving us a presentation. The Chief asked if anybody had questions, I did and asked about KME pumpers and new tillers. ;)
What was said about the tillers?

Bulldog said:
guitarman314 said:
What was said about the tillers?
There are 11 coming from Seagrave with different compartmentation & raised roofs

guitarman314 said:
In2theJob said:
We were told that they just passed new vendor approval process. There  were two new Ferrara rearmounts there: L84 & L128. Ladder 29's rig was parked at the far end for some kind of repair but I couldn't see the work order.

Lad29 has been O.O.S. for 10 weeks.....after fewer than 14 in service.  I talked to those guys...they have a rusty old Seagrave with 100,000 miles on it and they'd rather keep that for the next 10 years....what does that tell you?

This 2nd batch is supposed to come with the modifications done already that the first batch had to come out of service for.  Hopefully they come with less problems and the kinks worked out.

My company should be getting one very soon.